2015 La Gravette De Certan

Costco just brought in a bunch of 2015 VCC 2nd label La Gravette de Certan (obviously not in all areas but was in Scottsdale today).

Waited a full 3 hours before popping the first one- yep amazing self control. It was delicious- a bit silky, voluptuous, cherry, plum and tobacco with well integrated tannins. Great underrated second wine- maybe one of the best with a lean towards modern. Drove back today and grabbed another case… no self control. Afraid if others don’t grab some I will go back for more.

For those of interest happy hunting.

This is such an outstanding wine – the 2005 still needs a decant, but it’s incredible. What’s the price of the 2015 at Costco?

$70 haven’t even had a chance to decant beforehand.

$70? It’s only $60 at KL. [scratch.gif]

They only have 8 plus can’t ship to AZ for the next five months.

It’s just that I expected Costco to be cheaper.

You and me both!

Thanks for that update. I was just wondering about the 05 Gravette. I have one yet have never had that 2nd label.

To be fair, I had the 2004 VCC shortly thereafter and understood the differences between the wines (spoiler: the 2004 Grand Vin is better than the 2005 2nd) but given the difference in price and current drinkability, the Gravette is a winner. Like I said, though, give it some air or it seems kinda flat. Reminds me of the 2005 Mondot, Troplong’s second wine, that way.

Glen have you tried the ‘15 La Gravette yet?

Yup: “Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - Great nose on the pnp but the tannins were like having a young Emmanuel Macron slap me across the mouth. Like: crazy, puckering, drooling tannins. Two hours later it straightens out, somewhat, and becomes New World, as they say. I would have guessed a young Forman or Bressler. Unless I misunderstand this wine, it’s going to age really really well.”

Wow- what a difference a year makes! It has evolved to what the decant must have given as a glimpse into the future. The tannins are now well integrated and create a silky mouth feel. For sure leans modern but is delicious (plum, cherry, tobacco).

Had a friend open up a bottle and had a similar experience. I plan on trying another one tonight and another later this week. Will update if anything changes or supports previous impressions.

The ‘15 VCC was off the charts although way too early for the real enjoyment

There’s so many 2nd wines nowadays. The only ones I really remember from 25 years ago were stuff like Les Forts, Bahans HB, et al. Every now and then one could find a Pensees de Lafleur at Hart Davis, but those were uncommon.

Maybe the right bank ones just didn’t get imported here.