TN: 2016 Booker Vineyard Tempranillo Extended Age 22 Months

• 2016 Booker Vineyard Tempranillo Extended Age 22 Months - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (6/30/2019)
    This is the wine I would ask for on death row.
    Dark. Real dark. Purple tinged edges. Nose of pure sassafras and cool boysenberries. Coaxing brings blueberries and maybe some blackberries. Palate shows amazing balance of fruit, acid and tannins. The oak is there but so in the background, you must search for it. Deft and boisterous, this has amazing lilt and grandeur not found often. Notes exotic tea, this is packed with dense black/blue fruits,; it really is a complete package. Finish is true and it reminds you of but keeps the oak in check. Lovely and deft, this a pure and joyous. I bucked the odds/too young gods and hit it with my Coravin, but believe by next week, this will be a gonner…
    Just ordered 4 more. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I hope it’s as good as you say. I’ve had plenty of Tempranillos from Mexico, the US, and Canada and while I applaud the efforts, I’m still drinking Temps from Spain.

That’s not a knock, just to say that I don’t think anyone has hit it yet. Best Spanish versions coming out of Paso right now are Bodega de Edgar.

I was at Booker this weekend, but unfortunately, they weren’t offering this wine at the tasting. I was fortunate to taste the Epoch 2013 Reserva Tempranillo, which I thought was great, and I picked up a bottle of that. Have you tried that wine?