Other Cellar Sidejobs

When I was visiting Willet Distillery they showed us an area in the rick house where Sean Brock has some country hams hanging as they aged. It go me wondering if anyone does anything like this in their home cellars? I know from some of your instagrams that some of you are very good cooks as well as wine drinkers! Also curious about other tasks your cellar might do due to its temp range and control as well!

I like to keep cakes, pies, macarons etc in there to preserve the texture; they don’t dry out as easily, and there’s no unsightly condensation when you bring them out to serve

There’s sausages of all kinds hanging in the cellar at Antic Wine in Lyon

Friend of mine went to sleep in his cellar during a recent heatwave because the rest of the house was unbearably hot

Bulbs.
Certain produce, in the summer only.

I have a friend who has his cellar in the old root cellar of his historical house. He stores tubers and onions there too. I once cured a guanciale in my Eurocave. Maybe not the best idea in hindsight, unless you only keep Northern Rhones in there too. [cheers.gif]

Chocolate, fresh fruit, dinner party food that does not fit in the fridge but needs to be kept cool (not cold), olive oil, beer.

Not possible! If I had more room I’d buy more wine

I’ve often wondered about home-made charcuterie, as the conditions are about perfect. Only issue is you can get some pretty interesting varieties of mould growth and I wasn’t too sure how smart that would be around wine capsules.

I kinda figure in most of the old world the cellars have probably always served multiple purposes like this. maybe its not a problem as long as you cut into the charcuterie and the capsule on the same evening and enjoy together?

Antica Terra/Lillian keeps a whole iberico ham leg in their barrel room. I would think if they can do that, keeping meat in a typical cellar would be fine.

They also have a record player in there.