What are you drinking in homage of the demise of eBob? 1995 Ch. Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre for me.

I chose a Bordeaux that he would certainly not like:

1995 Chateau Bel-Air Marquis d’Aligre.

This is a fantastic wine. A throw-back to a different style of Bordeaux. An anachronism by today’s standards.

A gorgeous perfume of smoky tobacco, dried red fruits, and an earthy, barnyard note that I posit is not brett. Think worn saddle leather sitting on an old plank fence in the high sun of summer. Following a summer rainstorm. Petrichor. Palate is lithe like a quarter horse, sinewy strands of red fruits rippling like muscle. Blood orange citrus notes, crisp acid keeping the wine agile, in motion. Tannins mostly resolved.

Outstanding.

(94 pts.)

70430B0A-F53F-40AE-9FC0-9221362E02C3.jpeg

2007 CdP en magnum

With some uni?

Maybe not the kind of answer you were looking for, but a 2014 Seavey cabernet. I decided I do not like these aged, so enjoying it for its youthful fruit and power. Black and red cherries, some fine tannins, maybe a hint of cola and/ or coffee beans.

Something to pair with skewered and roasted beef…a Japanese recipe, sort of…

I’m drinking 2013 Rhys Bearwallow Pinot from 500mL for no reason other than it was in reach and not a full 750mL. No homage here. I came to eBob through Squires eZine (was not on Prodigy). I loved the community and was never a Parker subscriber/acolyte so largely sat in the bleachers for the pro/con wars. I was irked that the notes I posted were black-holed upon erection of the paywall, but I moved on. I still remember the great wines, notes or no.

Honestly, I quit the Internet for awhile after the paywall. I lurked here for at least a year before picking up the keyboard again.

Cheers,
fred

Excellent choice! I had one a couple of weeks ago - the perfect summer wine, full of wild strawberry and crushed raspberry, but elegant and restrained. Hard to go back to “normal” Bordeaux after drinking that.

I didn’t open it on purpose, but the wine I enjoyed last night would also have given him the heebiejeebies - Clos de Turpenay 2012 from Château de Coulaine in Chinon - excellent and much the same idea as BAMA.

Actually I sometimes wonder whether or not he would have hated these wines: I think perhaps that back in the beginning before he took himself too seriously, he might well have at least appreciated their qualities, but towards the end, certainly not, since they represent everything he apparently came to despise: originality, non-conformism, taste fashioned by terroir as opposed to barrels. Now the Bastille has fallen into the hands of the Sans Culottes, it’s somewhat ironic to see some people still championing the kind of ubiquitous straitjacket of taste that was fostered on us all by his acolytes the “consultants”. Nobody has to like BAMA and there’s nothing intrinsically wrong with those SHL/Pape Clément/Lascombes (add the name of your choice from the long list) wines, except that they all follow the same recipe.

Oh, but lest we forget, Domaine de Chevalier has just produced its best wine “ever”, along with all the other clones. I suppose that’s the ultimate irony - clones being judged perfect by a clone.

Vive la Révolution!

Faiveley Clos de la Roche

Yellow Tail Shiraz. He was all in on Aussie shiraz back in the day.

I would nothing nothing at all to salute MS … but a lot for RMPs retirement … the latter has tought me lot about wine over the last 30 years … [cheers.gif]
but I won´t miss MS and his board at all.

water

A declaration of independence from ebob was done some time ago, but the ebob board closing was always about when not if. I am surprised it lasted this long. Perhaps some Marquis Phillips Shiraz would be in order.

The Wine Advocate actually has very nice things to say about this Chateau, which I will admit to not being familiar with.

Really?! I’m no longer a subscriber, but I’d be very interested to know what they say! I know William Kelley is a fan, but I certainly didn’t know that RMP ever was.

Popped a magnum of 1921 Château Petrus, Parker gave it 100 points!

2016 Sojourn Home Ranch Cab

Discovered Sojourn and met Craig through eBob.

Deleted.

Some attenuated, weak-@ss swill only loved by the anti-flavor wine elite - perhaps something from Steve Edmunds. That, or '07 CNdP ‘en magnum’ with…

William Kelley’s recent write-up?