Tried these four this weekend w/ Susan:
1. Forlorn-Hope QueSaudade Verdelho DeWittVnyd/AmadorCnty (14.1%; 227 cs) MattRorick/SuisunVlly 2010: Med.gold color; somewhat nutty/bit oxidative/graham cracker some floral/figgy/waxy light toasty/oak bit earthy/herbal rather complex perfumed nose; somewhat soft some herbal/earthy some nutty/figgy/waxy/bit oxidative some smokey/toasty/oak quite complex interesting flavor; very long bit soft fairly rich/lush nutty/some oxidative rather figgy/waxy/herbal/earthy slight toasty/oak complex finish; some distinct oxidative character but not at all over the hill; reminds some of old HunterVlly Semillon w/o the oak & acidity; quite an interesting aged white.
2. LaCerreta Matis Vermentino IGT: Toscana (VinoBiologico/Demeter; 13%; www.LaCerreta.It; BonVivantImports/Boise) Sassetta 2015: Deep gold/burnished bronze color; some Vermen/floral/carnations somewhat earthy slight mousey slight skin-contact/phenolic/rather cidery slight natty/funky bit orangey/honeyed/graham cracker rather interesting if strange nose; lightly tart fairly rich slightly off-dry (0.6% r.s.?) bit orangey/graham cracker some Vermen/floral/carnations very slight phenolic/skin-contact/rather cidery somewhat savory slight natty/funkysomewhat earthy/chalky rather unusual flavor; long somewhat rich/off-dry light floral/Vermen/carnations slight skin-contact/phenolic/rather cidery bit earthy/funky/natty savory/unusual finish; seems to have a bit of skin-contact but rather minimalseems a bit natty but not at all unclean or mousey or anything; not a lot of Vermentino fruit, a bit like a Corsican/rustic Vermentino; a rather strange/atypical expression of Vermentino but rather interesting (in a good sense). $32.00 (AV)
3. Unti Fiano DryCreekVlly (13.6%; 242 cs; www.UntiVineyards.com) 2016: Med.yellow color; very strong floral/herbal/earthy/stony slight cabbagey/toe jam rather fragrant/lemony quite interesting nose; quite tart/bit citric some earthy/chalky rather lemony/floral/bit herbal bit rustic flavor; very long rather tart/citric rather earthy/chalky somewhat lemony/floral/herbal/thyme somewhat rustic finish; not a lot of high-toned fruit & rather earthy/rustic bit Compania-like character; quite an interesting expression of Fiano.
4. Shane Syrah JemroseVnyd/BennettVlly (14.1%; 70 cs; www.ShaneWines.com) Sebastapol 2008: Very dark/near black color w/ little bricking; very strong cracked black pepper/cold-climate Syrah strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah bit toasty/oak/pencilly/smokey beautiful complex nose; fairly tart/tangy very strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe/Syrah very strong c-c/black pepper strong toasty/Fr.oak rather complex flavor w/ light chewy/tangy tannins; very long/lingering ripe Syrah/blackberry/boysenberry quite c-c/black pepper some taosty/Fr.oak rather complex finish w/ slight chewy tannins; loads of c-c/black pepper and blackberry/Syrah fruit; probably as good as it's gonna get; a beautiful c-c Syrah.
A wee BloodyPulpit:
1. Vermentino: This was a pretty atypical expression of Tuscan Vermentino. It has a bit of natural/natty wine character to it but not really a flawed wine...just rather interesting. I rather liked the wine not just as a curiosity but as a savory wine that went well with the food.
Ad blocker detected: Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.
Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
1 post • Page 1 of 1