books ?

any recommendations for summer reading ? Looking for books about food, wine or restaurants ?

If you have never read ā€œThe Fourth Starā€ about Daniel Bouludā€™s restaurant it is a great read that covers all of your topics.

Amazon.com although it seems to be a bit pricey now for some reasonā€¦

Just re-read: Far Flung and Well Fed: The Food Writing of R.W. Apple, Jr. Originally out in 2009, itā€™s a collection of his essays. It remains an enjoyable read.

if you havenā€™t read Bourdains books, I really like them. I also really enjoyed Cork Dork if you want one truly about wine. Also about wine: in vino duplitas and Billionaires Vinegar. Last year I read A Really Big Lunch, basically an ode to guanicale and domaine Tempier, which was good. My favorite wine book Iā€™ve read though was probably Wine and War.

Darren Delmoreā€™s (TablasCreek guy) Lucky Country:Tales of a Vagabond Cellarhand. Darren is a talented writer and itā€™s a very entertaining read. He tells fun stories of his time in Australia.
Tom

1 Like

ā€˜Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Perigrinations of an Epicureā€™, Wechsberg (from the New Yorker). Iā€™m not sure food writing gets better than this. (At lease if you like France.)

Adventures on the Wine Route ā€“ Kermit Lynch.

Given your MidWest roots, I recommend the culinary/life musings of Jim Harrison.

ā€œThe Raw and the Cookedā€ is a collection of his food writing for Esquire. He was a poet and screenwriter (Legends of the Fall) with a hilarious and cutting take on haute cuisine.

I second that recommendation. Itā€™s older, but if youā€™ve never read it, it is well worthwhile. It is my favorite wine book by far. Make sure to get the revised edition as it includes additional reading.

ā€œAppellation Napa Valley: Building and Protecting an American Treasureā€ by Richard Mendelson

Wine and War
Cork Dork
Adventures on the Wine Route
Shadows in the Vineyard

All decent reads

I enjoyed Cork Dork, so another recommendation for that one.

Feeding Frenzy. About 3 star European restaurants.

Calvin Trillin

Bursting Bubbles.

Great book on grower Champagne.

Give up all these new-fangled books. Read or reread anything by M.F.K. Fisher

Seconded. I love this book.

This! +1

Have to second that, terrific book.

Cork Dork was very enjoyable if shallow.

AJ Lieblingā€™s memoir of 1920s Paris ā€œBetween Mealsā€ is about more than food and drink, but there is a ton of great writing about food and drink in there. A truly great book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L7BD980/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1