TN: 2014 Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon

Last night I took my son-in-law out for a celebration of his passing his penultimate test for his actuarial certification. A great achievement. One more to go and some on line work. The wine list at this steakhouse is California centric with prices from $50/btl(undrinkable stuff to me) to $4000 for several Screaming Eagles. I wanted something in the low middle range that would scratch the itch for Cabernet. I am relatively picky. An Arkenstone and a TRB wine looked good but I went for more value with a Ramey 2014. Priced at approximately 150% of retail it was a relative value. $130 on the list

2014 Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon

A gorgeous fruit driven nose of darker plum type fruit. Medium concentrated. Integrated spice with no deep chocolate or coffee notes to distract. The palate is lively with excellent balance. Refreshing not cloying. (This is where I have the most trouble with Cali Cabs) Good complexity and length. Beautiful texture. Special actually for Cali Cab to me. This was a nice surprise. Not the most complex wine but this pushed all the good buttons and was excellent with an aged NY strip steak. Great job Ramey!

Congrats.

I like Ramey reds and have quite a few, but $130.00 is really pushing it, I might have had a cocktail.
*A half bottle of Ramey Claret is my perf mid week wine.

CJ. This steakhouse is the most expensive in ATL. It is so hard to get out without serious financial damage. They had Heitz brand new releases for about $250. Clarets were expensive too. Opus One was almost $450. I usually bring but didn’t this time.

Stupid as it sounds $4000 for SE is actually a bargin, its $2500 ish at retail so thats under a 100% markup which is very low

While I always thought of David Ramey as a Chardonnay guy, his Cabernets are also excellent. He has a sure hand with Syrah as well.

Curious which one it was? Sounds like you got a good wine at a solid price. The markups in Atlanta are always rough so I bring 100% of the time. Except Hal’s which annoyingly doesn’t allow corkage. Then again they also allow smoking on the bottom level so it’s a bit questionable to me anyway. Congrats to the son in law. Actuarial tears are impressively tough.

Congratulations to your son.

I have enjoyed the Ramey Cabs that I have drank but I too normally take my own bottles to restaurants. Wine list rarely have the aged wines that I prefer. And if they do they are usually expensive.

Chops.

Chops certainly fits the bill. I rather like the place. The last time the wife and I were there I have no recollection of leaving and walking next door to the St Regis. I was rather over-served.
Great steak.
Congrats to your son in law. That’s quite the accomplishment.

Thanks for posting. My wife just got a bottle at work as a thank you.

Ramey Napa Valley Cab is about as good as you’re going to get at a steakhouse for $130. He worked at some place called Petrus in Bordeaux while he was honing his craft at making red wine.