TN: 2014 Copain Hawks Butte Syrah

Not sure the last time I posted a TN about syrah. Used to be quite consistent in drinking the varietal but have slowed back quite a bit. I do though still enjoy the syrahs that Wells made for many years, as they typically for me got that lovely mix of purple and blue fruit, with an added elegantly done savory quality from his use of whole cluster without any new oak. This one is from 2014, a little richer with an ABV of 13.8% but like with Wells, the weight is medium for the wine. Good stuff.

• 2014 Copain Syrah Hawks Butte Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (6/29/2019)
    Previous bottle was 18 months ago, and this seems to be softening since then. Probably worth noting too that in my note then I suggested the wine was not a long ager, and I still find that to be the case. Opened this current bottle on Thursday, drank through about 1/2 of it, then didn’t even touch it yesterday, getting back to it today, which Saturday. Lovely aromatic that is thematic for a Wells Guthrie made syrah, with some whole cluster, bacon fat and some dried flower. Fairly gentle palate, mainly built around a blue and purple note, so think about blueberry and some black raspberry kind of mix. Finishes with some rosemary and creosote, plus some tangy acidity, with a gentle lick of tannin. This is savory but only to the degree that it matches well with the fruit and acid, for me a nicely balanced wine with some residual structure. My final bottle, and I only can hope that Wells can make some new syrahs post-Copain–always thought his style and approach was smartly done.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m just about, if not completely out, of Copain Syrah. Loved the Hawks and especially the Brosseau. In the early days was a big fan of James Berry. Wells has a great touch with the variety.

Great note Frank. Brings back a lot of fond memories and like Mike, my Copain stash is dwindling down to a few bottles. I’m still holding the 07 HB and JB - and based on your last note on the 07 HB, I may just see what happens with a few more years in the cellar.

Thanks guys. I have a probably 2 cases left, spanning single bottles across most of the vineyards. I keep watching CT to see what people say when they open them to help gauge how to think about my remaining bottles.

Thanks Frank for the heads up. I still have a few scattered across 2010-2015. I will plan to drink up my '10, '11 & '14. I didn’t purchase the '12.