TN: 2010 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph)

• 2010 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (6/28/2019)
    A beguiling nose of menthol, root vegetables, black olive tapenade, dried flowers and earth. It is cool with clarity, building in the glass as it takes on air. Fruits are dark and it has terrific detail, balance and poise. There’s a fine line of acidity and length is good. Drinking right in the zone now.

Posted from CellarTracker

I last had one of these with Charlie Fu and Ryan Curry - they loved it, I felt it was still too young. Apparently I’m wrong. Have 4 more, worth more each than I paid for those 4 together.

Anyone had the 2009 recently?

I had my last 2009 in March of 2018 and how I WISH this wine wasn’t the ‘new hotness’ with the price to prove it, as the 2009 was, when I had it, absolutely firing on all cylinders more than any wine I’ve had around that time. Amazing just over a year ago!

When was that? I’ve got a couple off-site and this TN is tempting me to bring them home.

Last September

I stopped buying these after the '13 vintage as the ‘new hotness’ pricing was getting out of control. I had no idea how insane the new hotness has become, but I just checked CT and the '10s that I paid $40 for are selling at auction for $150 and the mag I purchased for $80 is going for $330…WTF?

Clearly, you haven’t been following the board closely. [wink.gif]

Interesting this is approachable. I stuck mine in deep storage and I don’t think I have tried a single one. Will grab an 09 to try again. Love these wines.

Just noticed that someone is attempting to auction off a single bottle of 2007 Gonon St Joe for $750 on the K&L site. [wow.gif] Zero bidders as I write. They also have 2017 pre-arrivals for $130 per bottle. Cheers!

It’s the VV

You can pick up a 7 pack here…"Domaine Pierre Gonon Saint Joseph Vieilles Vignes" | WineBid

Fu and others on this board have been exercising monopoly power over the market for these. By procuring pallet-sized portions when they first come out, then hyping said bottles to kingdom come, they slowly release cache after cache, but trickle them so as not to cause any market disruptions like oversupply. You can buy the vielles vignes for $750 if you’d like. [cheers.gif]

Had a bottle of the 2016 in a restaurant in Lyon a couple weeks ago for 75 Euro and it was delicious.

Basically a Bordeaux negotiant

I’m organizing a Gonon vertical from 2010-2017…would love some suggestions on how you’d arrange them in order as side-by-sides or flights. Thanks.

My guess:

2010 and 2013 - big structure

2011 and 2014 - excellent transparity

2012 and 2016 - open knit

2015 - big ripe bruiser, perhaps last

Haven’t tried 2017 yet.

Do you have any Iles Feray. Slip in the 2016 blind in one of the flights.

Youngest to oldest.

Oldest to youngest.

My post was about grouping. If we are talking about an order, 2011 and 2014 first for sure. Then 2012.