TNs--Quick Impressions from Dinner in Ottawa--PYCM, Giacosa, Climens

I make an annual pilgrimage up to our nation’s capital, this time coinciding with a Norah Jones concert as part of their Jazz Festival. I always try to get my friends in the city together for a dinner while I’m here, and friends Ingrid and Chris were very generous to again open their house to us. My friend Genny, our friends Brigette and Herbert and friend and BB contributor Boris Palameta made for a very convivial evening active with lots of wide-ranging conversation. We all contributed potluck-style to the dinner.

Wines

2013 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey St. Aubin Les Combes

Slow-oxed for a full day beforehand, no decant though this time. This is another 2013 that Pierre-Yves really took a great hold of. Mineral and lemonbalm scents give way to more meyer lemon, very tart apple, some steel and mineral and a tickle of green peas. A slight roundness, it still has youth on its side. Very good stuff here.

1998 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Rabaja

I think it was the Rabaja–if Boris jumps on, he can correct. Regardless, super-generous bring. It was work to get the cork out, which snapped twice, but Boris did successfully draw out the bottom piece. This was just a beautiful, sublime drink of wine—leather, cherries and strawberries but all nicely resolved now with a cuddly warmth that has nothing to do with alcoholic heat. Tannins are terrific with this and an afterbreathe of cedar and/or sandalwood. Possibly in the WOTY discussion for me.

2010 Chateau Climens

Mine as well, from an arguably off vintage, still you get the signature wildflowers and honey here, with others calling for some pineapple and coconut. It’s a Climens that seems like you could drink it anytime within a 15 year window, yummy but a little less complicated than some of their great vintages. Still, no complaints here, and definitely retains a certain base level of elegance that keeps the wine attractive.

Sante,

Mike

Glad you enjoyed the Giacosa, Mike. It was indeed the Rabaja, happy to see it showing so well. The 98’s have been really good to me, still have one bottle left while I wait on the 96’s. I enjoyed your wines as well, especially the Climens - so pretty and vibrant for a hot vintage. A la prochaine!