A trio of 2000 Chateauneuf du Papes

Opened these with dinner of grilled lamb chops, garlic roasted potatoes and a combination of grilled broccoli and baby tomatoes when some friends visited us last weekend. Here are my notes on the wines:

2000 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/24/2019)
5th time I have had this wine and showing the best ever. Decanted 2 hours before drinking. This had the most sediment of the three 2000 CdP’s that we opened. It was also the best. Smooth and elegant. The tannins were well integrated. Notes of ripe cherries, raw meat, tea and red currants. Richly textured with a long finish. Excellent balance. 96 points.

2000 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/24/2019)
5th time I have had this wine. Decanted for sediment about 2 hours before drinking. Some slight funk on the nose at first but it blew off with air. This had the most secondary notes of the 3 2000 CdP’s we opened. The flavors centered on earthy red fruit, plums and garrigue. 92-93 points.

2010 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Prestige - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/24/2019)
1st time I have had this wine. Decanted 2 hours before drinking. It had the highest alcohol (15%) of the three 2000 CdP’s that we opened. Made in a new world style. This was much better on its own than with food. With food the alcohol and astringency dominated. Crammy texture and full bodied. Notes of kirsch, blackberries and toasted oak. 91 points.

VM

I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

I think the 2000 vintage is very good, but IMO it is not a long-distance runner. Yields were about 2 tons/acre, a good 15% higher than average. Conditions during growing season and harvest were excellent. This was the second vintage in which they made the top da Capo bottling, so those didn’t make it into the 2000 Cuvee Reservee. IMO this is fully mature. I have a few bottles left as well as some large format. I use them mostly for tastings and as for treats for my personnel during sales meetings. Drink up, unless you own some big bottles.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks Dan. I have one left which I’ll drink sooner now.

VM

Thanks for the notes.

Dan - how big is big? I have a Mag (of 2000 Pegau). Should I be looking to drink it soon? Perhaps this fall as, despite A/C, I don’t think of CNdP as a summer red.

Kevin,

When I say ‘drink up’, I’m not talking about a 2 year old entry-level Pinot Grigio. In this context, it means the next few years, and extend that by a few for a magnum. With good provenance, this will be fine any time from fall 2019 to at least 2022. Sorry to cause any panic. All Pegau is built to last, this one is just not a 30 - 50 year vintage IMO.

Dan Kravitz

Dan, I’d be very curious as to your thoughts as to longevity on a few other vintages of Pegau (Cuvee Reservee), particularly 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2010…I’m currently enjoying my 2001s, and always especially had some question about the quality and longevity of the “hot vintages” of 2003 and 2007, while the others on my list ('05, '09 and '10) were vintages that I’ve just heard very little discussion about.

Commercial post: I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

John,

Thanks for the questions. My opinion is just my opinion… not only can I be wrong, people’s palates and preferences differ, so does provenance, so ymmv. Here is my take.

Pegau’s deeply traditional winegrowing and very long experience make it relatively easy for them to master hot vintages. Paul Feraud made the 1959 with his grandmother when he was 23 years old. 2003 was probably the hottest vintage since 1959 (1961 was apparently not quite as hot). I would comfortably assume that 2003 will be very long-lived, but of course the 1959 I had the privilege to drink with the Ferauds had sat in the cellar unmoved for 50+ years. Here are my suggested optimum drinking dates for the vintages you list, but please do not take them rigidly! They assume that the wine was shipped from France to the U.S. right after bottling, handled and then cellared correctly. My cellar in Maine is passive, with floor storage temps ranging from 42 - 62 fahrenheit, changing slowly over the course of a normal year.

2003 - peak 2025 - 2045
2005 - peak 2023 - 2030
2007 - peak 2030 - 2050
2009 - peak 2030 - 2040
2010 - peak 2035 - 2050

As my notes indicate, in general I think the very hot years will be very long lived. I would actually drink the relatively ‘stern’, ripe but high acid years like 2005 earlier. IMO the sweet spot for great Pegau vintages is 25 - 40 years of age, but would err on the side of caution; once the wine has moved, risk is involved, no matter how careful you are.

Best regards,

Dan Kravitz

Thanks for the notes Jeff. I’ve recently had both the Beaucastel and Pegau - the former really good but the latter an unsavable, horrid, bretted mess (and I am Brett tolerant). This gives me hope the remaining two will be better :slight_smile:!

I´m not Dan, but do generally agree with him, except that I see 2005 a bit longer living … (see my additions in bold)
Vintages like 1981, 1983, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990 etc. are still in their prime, sure more mature than a 1998 or 2001, but in absolutely no danger to go downhill, if you don´t prefer really youthful flavours … (and if bottles are sound)

The vintage 2000 is mature, but can still be enjoyed until at the very least 2028++ …
2001 is definitely less mature, still quite youthful, and the least mature of 1998-2001 …
we did a comparison of these 4 vintages (with 6+ producers) several monthes ago - and it was clear that 2001 is in need of several more years to reach full peak … that doesn´t mean you cannot enjoy most 2001s now, but there is still a lot of reserve …

There are only a few vintages of Pegau that are for drinking up over the next years: 1992, 1993, (1994, still quite strong), 1996, 1997, 2002 (should have been drunk up, and that applies also to 1991, 1987, 1986 …)
All that is valuable for well stored/shipped bottles … I´ve read several times here that some bottles overseas (US) have problems, imho due to shipping issues … that´s another matter …

I had an excellent Pegau réservé 2000 last month (17,5/20) … ready to drink and should be excellent for another ten years I think.
I don’t know how 2000 Laurence and 2000 Da Capo evolve …

I had a terrific 2002 a month ago.
It has a specific charm
If 2010 window starts in 2035 then the 2016 window will start when we all have our own personal Android
I will sell my Mags

The Cuvee Laurence has been aged in wood for longer - it has quite a different flavour profile and seems to be accessable earlier, but will keep usually as long as the Reservée …
Da Capo (only 7 vintages so far) will need a good 3-5+ years longer to really peak, and keep a minimum of 10 years longer than the Reservée …
(my estimate, since there is almost no Da Capo fully mature, the 2000 being the closest …)