TN: 2011 Jose Dhondt Champagne Grand Cru Mes Vieilles Vignes Blanc de Blancs

Perhaps consuming this from the rooftop patio on our apartment in Campo de Fiori contributed to my enthusiasm, but this was quite lovely (again). That seems to be the norm for me and Jose Dhondt. Over-delivers under the radar.
champagne.gif

• 2011 Jose Dhondt Champagne Grand Cru Mes Vieilles Vignes Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/27/2019)
    This has a little bit of everything I am looking for. Pretty floral nose, touch of sweet lemon-honey fruit in the middle, and nice structure. Good balance of creamy mousse and lively acidity. Seems to be built to age a bit, but already was a joy to drink.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have a handful of the 2014 in Mag. Your note on a lesser vintage gives me high hopes for these Mags and sounds like I should be a bit patient.

Thanks. I agree with your TN, purchased a few from Woodland and popped my first a couple months back. I do find that I prefer these on the earlier side as opposed to several years of age after purchase. The youthful vibrancy is to me better than the notes that develop as they mature. Have you or anyone else noticed the same or different?

Nice. That will be very fine. And yes, patience!

Interesting. Maybe don’t be so patient, Russ! I can see going either way. The wine was really tasty now, I didn’t feel anything was lost. Though, it also seemed it could go for a while. No harm, now or later.

How much better are these over their NV wines?

Wow! Do you live there part time (or full time)? If it’s an air BNB did you carry it with you or did you buy it in Rome?

Oh, and glad to hear about the wine. I’m a fan of Dhondt

Haven’t had the 14 yet, but younger and in mag, one would think it certainly would make sense to give at least a couple years before a pop. Although every vintage I’ve tried over the last several years this bottling has been delicious on release.

Thanks for posting the note. I got turned on to Dhondt in the 2008 vintage and was very impressed. I still have some mags in the cellar which my wife and friends are going to have to drink. I’m on the wagon (doctor’s orders).

I love the 08. Changed my Dhondt to Do.

Dhondt leave the store without one…

TTT

The vintage wine is very good, but I think the spread is much more noticeable in great years. The 10 Was very good, but I was just as happy with the NV based on better years for less.