TN: 2001 St. Urbans-Hof Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Spätlese

2001 St. Urbans-Hof Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/26/2019)
My last bottle of this, and it was certainly on point. Not fully mature by any means, but showing a lovely blend of the remaining primary fruit, that honeyed character that marks almost all Godtröpfchen wines, and boatloads of minerals on the finish. The word that kept coming back to me was purity. This was not about richness or sweetness, it was about a lovely balance that clearly showed the greatness of the vineyard. Lovely wine!

Posted from CellarTracker

Good friend (RIP) Brian Bangs introduced me to St. Urbans Hof many years ago. Some of the best Rieslings from Germany for the money in my opinion.

They have remained excellent values over the years.

They have remained excellent values over the years.

We have a shop in Minneapolis/ Surdyk’s that carries a fair number of German Rieslings. Hardly anyone buys them hence the prices have remain constant over the years. In the heat German Rieslings all day long!

The proprietor of Urbans-Hof, Nik Weis has dinner with the Philly German Wine Society every couple of years. He presents his line up and discusses the vintages. He is a very engaging and charming gentleman. His wines are consistently excellent and a great value. He always invites us to visit “the next time you are in Germany.”