TN: May 2019 visit to Fratelli Alessandria

Vittore hosted a group of nebbiolo lovers to taste through his current releases in May this year. I think his wines showed very well; and to boot, I really like the feel of the cellar and tasting room. Comfortable, rustic and cool.

Here goes:

[]2018 Fratelli Alessandria Langhe Favorita - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (5/23/2019)
Fresh grassy yellow fruit with good acidity and freshness. It has fresh snappy fruit coupled with a bitterness that adds to it. A savory, salty, very good favorita

[
]2018 Fratelli Alessandria Verduno Pelaverga Speziale - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Verduno Pelaverga (5/23/2019)
Pale pink purple color. On the nose, fresh cracked black pepper and red fruits. This has good sap, with a freshness and ease to drink. The palate is broad with still being light weighted but with more impact per unit size. Finishes peppery with some spice. Quite good[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker

[]2015 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/23/2019)
Rose and basil on the nose. Might be little a pelaverga left in the glass. Strawberry and cherry fruit with nice balsamic notes. It has good sap and palate breadth in a mid plus weighted body. Elegant, but with power. Excellent perfume. Good acidity balance. Solid Classico (91 pts.)

[
]2015 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo San Lorenzo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/23/2019)
Rose petal, red fruits and spice on the nose. On the palate, this has sap and power yet all delivered with elegance and poise. It’s deep and perfumed with a sense of lightness and elegance coupled with hidden depth and power. Graceful perfumed. Fresh. Outstanding. Love it. (94 pts.)

• 2015 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/23/2019)
    Beautifully perfumed with cherry and roses, basil, and a medicinal herbal nose. Cooler and more herbal than the San Lorenzo with more sap. Menthol, basil, florals and cooler nebbiolo fruit. This has a lovely inner mouth perfume. Density without weight. Overall, a harmonious wine with great depth and subtlety. Graceful yet serious. Firm ripe tannins on the back end. (95 pts.)
  • 2015 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo Gramolere - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (5/23/2019)
    Darker nebbiolo fruit with pronounced balsamic notes, dark fruits and rosewater. Richer and denser on the palate than the Verduno bottling, with lots of spice and balsamic notes and a little blood ferrous notes. Sappy and dense, full bodied and structured with serious tannins on back end. It is a touch hot for me with some torrefaction. this is the one bottling that seems to feel the heat of the year for me. Still outstanding, but lacking the lift and harmony of the other two cru bottlings that were terrific. (90 pts.)

I loved these wines for the most part. The nebbiolo wines were transparent, lifted, graceful wines of depth and power. A very strong effort this year. I also very much liked the favorita and pelaverga. Excellent wines made for the table. I think this is an under appreciated address. Well done!

Thanks for reading.