FIVE WINOS EXCELLENT ADVENTURE , MOSTLY IN BURGUNDY - Beaune, France (6/7/2019-6/15/2019)

FIVE WINOS EXCELLENT ADVENTURE , MOSTLY IN BURGUNDY - Beaune, France (6/7/2019-6/15/2019)

To repeat our excellent adventure in France two years ago, RJ, Justin, Kelly and I started planning for a mostly Burgundy trip in January. We were joined by Birdie whom we met through Kelly during the 10th edition of Villa D’Este Wine Symposium.

http://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=35604

I quickly learned that visiting DRC, Rousseau, Coche will no longer be possible. Therefore, I actually had to work hard to set up the visits this time. My special thanks goes to everyone who made the visits possible.

Billy Weiss, the proprietor of North Berkeley Imports. He and I had never met but he went above and beyond to help setting up the appointments at Boyer-Martenot and Mugneret Gibourg.

Christy at Zachys Auction who helped to set up the visit at Douhin.

Stan at Moet Hennessy to set up the visit at Moet & Chadon

Mike at Wilson Daniel to set up the visit at Leflaive

And now the producers

Vincent at Boyer-Martenot

Marie-Andree at Mugneret-Gibourg

Veronique at Drouhin

Pierre at Leflaive

Erwan at Faiveley

Louis Michel at Comte Liger-Belair

Etienne at Jean Grivot

Frederic at Mugnier

Here are some of my thoughts:
2018 is a great red vintage, beautifully ripe and concentrated yet very fresh and pure. Some producers thought a repeat of the 09 but significantly more freshness.

2018 whites are quite ripe.

2017 reds can be very pure and classic, slightly less concentrated than the 18 but more pure fruit.

2017 whites are excellent though not as good as the 14, i.e. slightly riper fruit and slightly more concentrated.

2015 reds are drinking incredibly well.

2015 whites can be excellent but not all, Raveneau were excellent.

As expected, Mugneret-Gibourg, Faiveley, Comte LIger-Belair, Grivot and Mugnier all made incredible reds in 2018.

Boyer-Martenot is making very good whites, very pure in style, not too much sulphur.

Domaine Leflaive made incredible wines in 2017. If the domaine has addressed the premox issue, I will be a buyer once again. FWIW, the 14s which I had last year, seemed fresh and energetic.

Comte Lafon is at the top once again.

We tried a lot of Roulots and none of them were exceptional. There is absolutely no reason to chase.
June 7 - Lunch at Vantre
The owner Marco Pelletier served as the head sommelier at several Grand Award winners in Paris, including Taillevent and Le Bristol. The list was really deep, only third were listed, but not cheap. The dishes were simple but solid.

• 2014 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Vireuils - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/7/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe dense citrus fruit, lemon curd, sweet and spice spices, wet sox and wet stone. Excellent concentration, dense slightly coiled yellow citrus, deeply toned and rich, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a medium to long dense and coiled citrus fruit driven finish. Good concentration and structure but a bit straightforward which can be expected from a village Meursault. Three times costlier than Bouchard or Girardin Meursualt 1er crus and less interesting. (91 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine de Galouchey Le Vin de Jardin - France, Bordeaux (6/7/2019)
    Marco’s project made from 4 white and 5 red Bordeaux varietals. He ponders whether to server the 13 or 15 but since we are drinking the Roulot which is concentrated, he opts to go with the 15. Expressive nose displaying ripe red fruit, plum and cherry, chocolate and sweet spices. With air, it really opens up, blackberry, black cherry, blueberry, rose, dark milk chocolate, sweet spices, lead pencil and mineral. Excellent concentration, nicely layered blue fruit, silk and round, good acidity, strong mineral, fine tannins and a long cassis fruit driven finish. This is a sort of Bordeuax that most people can love including natural wine lovers. Very youthful but very approachable. (91 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine du Bel Air (Pierre et Rodolphe Gauthier) Bourgueil Clos Nouveau - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil (6/7/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying rich and luxurious black fruit, blackberry, a hint of raspberry, perfume, rose, milk chocolate, light caramel, cedar and limestone. Excellent concentration, beautifully layered rich black and red fruit, silky and sensual, warm and round, beautifully detailed, medium acidity, strong mineral and a long rich black fruit driven finish. The rich yet precise style reminds me Clos Rougeard Les Poyeux but perhaps even more interesting for my palate. Exceptional showing. (95 pts.)
  • 1991 Domaine Adhémar et Francis Boudin Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (6/7/2019)
    We requested Marco to serve blind a bottle that is not on the list. Beautiful rich light yellow color. Expressive nose displaying lemon curd, slight unripe peach, burn sugar, caramel, lanolin and strong wet stone. Exceptional concentration, nicely layered dense and rich yellow citrus fruit, very precise, mouth puckering acidity, strong mineral and a long ripe citrus fruit driven finish. Kelly guesses Savagnin for the bright acidity. One of my guesses is a mature Clos St Hune but there is no petrol. It is a neutral grape, i.e. not overtly aromatic, where the complexity comes from exceptional cellaring. Perhaps Chardonnay. Marco reveals the wine. This is a beautifully mature Chablis. (93 pts.)

June 7 - Afternoon Drink at Willi’s Wine Bar
This was the only Raveneau on the list. The glory days are gone.

• 2011 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (6/7/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying cool citrus fruit, lemon curd, a hint of the 11 green, mint, honeysuckle, sap, cool mountain stream, sea breeze and limestone. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated yellow citrus, dense, excellent focus and precision, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long beautifully focused mineral finish. This is drinking beautifully. (95 pts.)

June 7 - Dinner at Le Bon Georges
The list is way overpriced, mostly more than the Michelin three stars.

• 2010 Bérêche et Fils Champagne Premier Cru Le Cran Ludes - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (6/7/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying slightly oxidized apple, apricot, a hint of red currants, honey, cinnamon, brioche and limestone. Beautifully integrated palate, rich yet precise, medium fine medium generous mousse, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long rich yellow fruit driven bone dry finish. This is a rich oxidative champagne, perhaps a bit like the aged vintage Krug. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Hubert Lamy Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (6/7/2019)
    Cool clean nose displaying ripe white fruit, apple, pear, lemon, a hint of spearmint, honeysuckle and limestone. Excellent concentration, nicely layered sweet white fruit, clean and delicious, medium acidity, good limestone mineral and a medium to long ripe white fruit driven finish. Really enjoyable. (92 pts.)
  • 2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Cuvée Marguerite - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (6/7/2019)
    Clean and energetic nose displaying cool white fruit, pear, apple, lemonade, honeysuckle, a hint of flint and limestone. Clean harmonious palate, nicely layered cool white fruit, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long cool white fruit driven finish. Drinking nicely. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Serafin Père et Fils Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Millandes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru (6/7/2019)
    Medium expressive black fruit driven nose, blackberry jam, black cherry, animal, sap, rose and earth. Excellent concentration, packed black fruit, unctuous, medium acidity, earthy mineral, slightly coarse tannins and a medium to long ripe black fruit driven finish. There is a hint of fizz which is slightly bothersome. This is a big scale wine that lacks finesse. (89 pts.)
  • 2015 Thibault Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/7/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying bright red fruit with a hint of black, strawberry, blackberry, rose, dark spices and earth. Excellent concentration, packed sweet red fruit, unctuous and rich, good acidity and mineral and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. It is a big scale wine that needs another decade or two (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Rotem & Mounir Saouma Châteauneuf-du-Pape Omnia - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/7/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying opulent jammy red fruit, cherry liqueur, strawberry jam, incense, dark spices, a hint of garrique, black pepper and limestone. Excellent concentration, nicely layered intense red fruit, silky and polished, good acidity and mineral, and a long sweet red fruit driven finish. This is a big scale but nicely balanced CDP. (94 pts.)

June 8 - Lunch at The Glue Pot
We walked to Racine, a new hot spot with a Japanese chef in Reims. Unfortunately, Kelly made a mistake and the reservation was made for the next day. The hostess kindly recommended this weird crazy place, a dive bar with an incredible wine list.

Notre-Dame Cathedral, breathtakingly beautiful!

Front view

Speechless! Jamet Cote Rotie, far right.

Kelly smiling as the Zaltos arrive!

The menu!

What we drank.

• 2016 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Luchets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/8/2019)
    Very focused nose displaying granny smith, a slight hint of oxidized apple, fresh lime, a hint of pineapple, spicy spices, honey and mineral. Very good concentration, slightly coiled citrus fruit, good energy and focus, bright acidity, strong mineral and a medium to long coiled yellow fruit finish. This is a solid village Meursault. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine du Bel Air (Pierre et Rodolphe Gauthier) Bourgueil Clos Nouveau - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil (6/8/2019)
    Showing more Cabernet Franc typicity than the 09 from the night before. Medium expressive nose displaying fresh black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, a hint of bell pepper, smoked meat, lactic, dark spices and mineral. Very refine palate, nicely layered fresh black fruit, silky and polished, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral, fine tannins and a medium to long sweet black fruit driven finish. This will need another decade to reach the peak. (93 pts.)

June 8 - Moet & Chandon visit
We had a great visit at Dom Perignon. Yumie san had been working with Moet Chandon for over ten years and was incredibly knowledgeable.

Dom Perignon in the middle.

Cave

220,288 bottles of Dom Perignon.

50 plus year old Doms!

Beautiful garden where Napoleon met Jean Remy Moet.

Courtesy of Moet Hennessey.

• 2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne (6/8/2019)
    Typically, it takes twenty years for Dom Perignon to shine. The 08 is an exception. Perfectly harmonious nose displaying fresh white fruit, pear, lemon, honeysuckle, cool mountain stream and limestone. Perfectly harmonious palate, very finely layered pure white fruit, incredibly fine abundant mousse, elegant, harmonious and energetic, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a seamless long white fruit and mineral driven finish. The 08 has to be the best young Dom Perignon of my life, epitome of elegance and refinement. (98 pts.)
  • 2000 Dom Pérignon Champagne P2 - France, Champagne (6/8/2019)
    Beautifully mature Dom Perignon nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, peach, apple pie, burnt sugar, light caramel, honey and limestone. Fully integrated palate, finely layered decadent yellow fruit, fine medium abundant mousse, good acidity and mineral, and a seamless long decadent yellow fruit driven finish. This seems richer than the original release. Really enjoyable. (95 pts.)

June 8 - Dinner at Le Millenaire
The dinner was supposed to be at L’Assiette, a three star Michelin, but Kelly made it for the next day once again. It actually didn’t turn out too bad as we had a great dinner and a memorable after dinner wines.

Beautiful day. People all drinking Champagne! Beautiful site!

The name, Millenaire, scared me a bit. This was the best pork of my life, so tender, flavorful and perfectly marbled.

Not so good wine list so we decided to eat quick and go back to the wine bar where we found a bunch of Rayas.

• 2016 Hubert Lamy Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (6/8/2019)
    Very energetic nose displaying fresh clean white fruit, pear, apple, a hint of white flower, spicy spices and wet stone. Already showing beautifully integrated palate, nicely layered sweet but cool white fruit, clean and refreshing, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long pear and mineral driven finish. Drinking beautifully. (93 pts.)

June 8 - Nightcaps at Le Wine Bar

The dead soldiers!

With Nicolas, the young proprietor.

• 2014 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc Brézé - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (6/8/2019)
    Quiet rich and ripe yet incredibly focused nose displaying yellow tropical fruit, pineapple, yellow and white peach, lemon curd, honey, a hint of flint, spicy spices and earth. Excellent concentration, nicely layered concentration yellow fruit, sweet and unctuous yet very focused and precise, mouth puckering acidity strong mineral and a long sweet yellow fruit and spicy spices driven finish. Very similar to the Clos Rougeard version at quarter of price. Excellent showing. (94 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/8/2019)
    Explosive complex nose displaying opulent jammy red fruit, raspberry liqueur, cherry compote, sap, tobacco, garrigue, leather, lightly smoked meat, black pepper, dark spices and limestone. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of hedonistic red fruit, fluid and sensual, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and an incredible long decadent red fruit driven finish with tobacco and leather at the end. This is a youthful big scale Rayas. Although incredibly enjoyable already, it can easily improve for another two decades or more. A hedonistic experience. (98 pts.)
  • 2008 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/8/2019)
    Intoxicating exotic kinky nose displaying cherry liqueur, dry red cherry, strong cannabis, garrigue tobacco, stem, leather, sweet spices and crushed rocks. Beautifully integrated palate, layers upon layers of dry cherry fruit, silky and fluid, beautifully detailed, perfect amount of acidity, strong mineral and a long sweet cherry fruit driven finish with cannabis and tobacco at the end. This has really improved, gaining concentration and becoming more expressive. Although it doesn’t have the material of the 05, it is equally enjoyable at the moment, i.e. more expressive and exotic. (98 pts.)

June 9 - Lunch

This was a memorable lunch!

• 2011 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (6/9/2019)
    Incredibly focused nose displaying concentrated yellow citrus fruit, lemon curd, light honey, lactic, a hint of the 11 green, spicy spices, sea breeze, oyster shell, cool mountain stream and wet stone. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of yellow citrus fruit, cool, energetic, laser like focus, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long concentrated yellow fruit and mineral driven finish. This is a classic Raveneau Les Clos showing laser like focus and precision. (95 pts.)
  • 2015 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/9/2019)
    Absolutely gorgeous nose displaying pure fresh white fruit, pear, white peach, candied lemon peel, a hint of Coche flint, honeysuckle, cool mountain stream and crushed rocks. Perfectly harmonious and balanced palate, very finely layered pure white fruit, exceptional energy and freshness, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long pure pear and citrus fruit driven finish with a hint of Coche flint at the end. This is unbelievably tasty yet very serious wine. So youthful yet so perfectly delicious! (98 pts.)
  • 2013 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (6/9/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying sweet black fruit, crushed blackberry, black cherry, beautifully perfumed, rose, black truffle, cinnamon, light caramel and limestone mineral. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of intense sweet black fruit, rich and warm but also fluid and precise, bright acidity, strong mineral, noticeable but very fine tannins and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. It reminds me the 07 version a bit. It is already very expressive and incredibly delicious but will improve for another decade. (97 pts.)

June 9 - Before Dinner Drink at Bissoh
This was one of the restaurants that I was thinking of eating. Since we had a half hour, we wanted to grab a quick drink. The hostess/sommelier kindly let us come in with one condition, leave before the restaurant opens. Pierre Rovani was coming in as we were heading out.

• 2007 Jean-François Ganevat Côtes du Jura Les Vignes de Mon Père - France, Jura, Côtes du Jura (6/9/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying succulent yellow citrus and tropical fruit, lemon crud, a hint of pineapple, fresh OJ, candied orange peel, light caramel, beeswax and limestone mineral. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated succulent yellow fruit, dense, rich and deeply tone yet incredibly focused, mouth puckering acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long dense succulent yellow fruit driven finish. This is a big scale wine. I really love the dense yet focused expression. It reminds me the Clos Rougeard Breze a bit, i.e. dense and concentrated yet incredibly focused. (95 pts.)

June 9 - Dinner
Another Japanese chef owned restaurant. The dishes were perfectly executed.

The young proprietor Nicolas was a passionate wine lover. We had a blast!

Amuse Bouche

Foie Gras

The Roumier was a bit off but the Rousseau was exceptional. We were tempted to order the 14 La Tache but decided to drink the next day when RJ and Justin join us. We told the young manager that we would come back and he got us a table. Since the Roumier was a bit off, he comped the bottle which was a nice gesture.

• 2015 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (6/9/2019)
    Slightly coiled energetic nose displaying ripe yellow citrus fruit, lemon curd, granny smith, a hint of pineapple, honey, honeysuckle, a hint of spearmint, rainwater, beeswax and limestone. Excellent concentration, slightly coiled concentrated yellow fruit, dense yet pure and energetic, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long slightly coiled yellow citrus fruit driven mineral finish. This shows better focus than the December, 2018 bottle as the tropical fruit expression has subsided, i.e. more citrusy. (94 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (6/9/2019)
    There is no TCA yet the wine seems medicinal and not expressive. This bottle reminds me the 05 Roumier Musigny that I drank two years ago, i.e. no obvious flaws but very muted. We try it again the next day and remains muted. NR (flawed)
  • 2016 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (6/9/2019)
    Gorgeous youthful nose displaying opulent yet pure black fruit with a hint of red, crushed blackberry, black cherry, strawberry and rhubarb tart, licorice, sap, smoked meat, red flowers, roasted coffee bean and crushed rocks. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of perfectly ripe crushed blackberry, flamboyant yet pure and energetic, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, very fine tannins and a long pure black fruit driven finish. This is concentrated yet very pure. Excellent showing. (97 pts.)

June 9 - After Dinner Drink at Bissoh
We served a glass of the Ganevat. Pierre thought it was flaw, secondary carbonation. I and Kelly didn’t notice any fizz and we actually loved the wine. Oh, well!

• NV Jacques Selosse Champagne Premier Cru Lieux-dits Extra Brut Mareuil-sur-Ay Sous le Mont - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (6/9/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying succulent yellow and red fruit, sour cherry, cherry soda, lemon curd, strawberry candy, smoke, brioche, sweet spices, cinnamon and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered succulent red fruit, fine medium generous mousse, rich and warm yet bright and energetic, mouth puckering acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long rich succulent red fruit driven finish. Very rich and succulent showing. A bit of natural wine like impression, Ganevat with bubbles, pretty serious Champagne. (96 pts.)

June 10 - Boyer-Martenot Visit
Vincent was a gracious host. The domaine that I was not familiar with. The wines were solid. I asked for a favor to buy the 14 Perrieres but it was not available. Vincent kindly gifted the 15 Perrieres. The wines were pure, no matchstick/sulphur for those who love it.

2015 Perrieres

• 2018 Yves Boyer-Martenot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (6/10/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, pear, peach and apple. Good acidity. Already delicious. I prefer the 17 version which is a bit fresher and brighter. (87 pts.)
  • 2018 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault en l’Ormeau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/10/2019)
    Medium expressive nose, pear and apple, spicy spices and medium mineral. Medium concentration, good precision and balance. Delicious village wine. (90 pts.)
  • 2018 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault Les Narvaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/10/2019)
    Ripe yellow fruit, lemon curd, peach, caramel and mineral. Good concentration, rich yellow fruit, good acidity and mineral, and a medium long rich yellow fruit driven finish. (91 pts.)
  • 2018 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying rich sweet yellow fruit, peach, lemon curd, light caramel, a hint of oak and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered ripe yellow fruit with a hint of lemon curd, rich yet showing good focus, medium acidity and a long ripe yellow fruit driven finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2018 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying succulent white fruit, pear, lemon curd, spicy spices, a hint of oak and limestone. Good concentration, focus and precision, bright acidity and strong mineral, and a long pure white fruit driven mineral finish. (93 pts.)
  • 2017 Yves Boyer-Martenot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (6/10/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying fresh pure white fruit, pear and lemon curd. Very good concentration, clean and pure sweet white fruit, good acidity and a medium long sweet white fruit driven finish. Really delicious. (89 pts.)
  • 2017 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault en l’Ormeau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/10/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying rich white fruit, pear, pear preserves, lemon curd, honey, vanilla and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered sweet white fruit, rich and round, medium acidity and mineral, and a medium to long sweet white fruit driven finish. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault Les Narvaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying pure ripe white fruit, pear, lemon curd, almond paste, mint, beeswax and mineral. Very good concentration, nicely layered pure white fruit, rich and round, bright acidity and mineral, and a medium to long sweet white fruit driven finish. Slightly richer and riper than the l’Ormeau. Really nice showing. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying rich yellow fruit with a hint of white, lemon curd, white peach, pear and limestone. Excellent concentration, nicely layered rich white fruit, nice precision and focus, bright acidity and mineral, and a medium to long sweet white fruit driven finish. Nice showing. (93 pts.)
  • 2017 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, white peach, lemon curd, pineapple, apple, sap and mineral. Excellent concentration, nicely layered sweet yellow fruit, full and rich, good acidity and medium mineral, and a medium to long ripe yellow fruit driven finish. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Yves Boyer-Martenot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe yellow fruit with a hint of white, light caramel, spicy spices and limestone. Excellent concentration, slightly coiled sweet yellow fruit, rich and full, medium acidity and mineral, and a medium to long ripe yellow fruit driven finish. This may need a few more years to lessen the ripe fruit expression and gain better precision. (92 pts.)

June 10 - Lunch
RJ and Justin arrived from CDG and joined us.

• 2013 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Very focused but ripe nose displaying rich ripe yellow fruit, lemon curd, peach, sour apple, a hint of coche flint, light caramel, spicy spices and crushed rocks. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of decadent ripe yellow fruit, good focus and precision, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long ripe yellow fruit driven finish. With air, it gets fresher and also richer. This is slightly riper style of Coche Perrieres. (95 pts.)
  • 2014 Arnaud Ente Meursault 1er Cru Gouttes d’Or - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Incredibly focused and perfectly precise nose displaying subtle fresh white fruit, fresh lemon, granny smith, saline, rainwater and crushed rocks. Exceptional focus and purity, slightly lean fresh white fruit, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long fresh white fruit driven finish with strong mineral at the end. Beautifully and accurate expressing the house style. (95 pts.)

June 10 - Mugneret-Gibourg Visit

Original piece of the domaine label.

Cellar

• 2017 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (6/10/2019)
    Very perfumed nose, perfectly ripe blackberry, black cherry, lavender, spicy spices and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered concentrated black fruit, round and generous, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a medium to long sweet black fruit driven finish. Very pure, especially for a village Vosne, really delicious. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Very floral and earthy nose displaying perfectly ripe black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, sap, sweet spices and earth. Already showing very harmonious palate, nicely layered pure black fruit, silky and polished, bright acidity, good limestone mineral, fine tannins and a medium to long sweet black fruit driven finish. Very pretty and pure for a NSG. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Feusselottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Beautifully perfumed nose displaying perfectly ripe pure black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, lavender, light caramel, sweet spices and limestone. Excellent concentration, very finely layered pure black fruit, silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long perfectly ripe black fruit driven finish with violet and crushed rocks at the end. It is so darn delicious but also very pure and serious. (94 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying bright red fruit, essence of raspberry, strawberry jam, sour cherry, clove, rose and limestone mineral. Beautiful harmonious palate, layers upon layers of bright red fruit, excellent precision and purity, bright acidity, limestone mineral and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with sweet spices at the end. Already so delicious and approachable. (95 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Ruchottes-Chambertin Grand Cru (6/10/2019)
    Exquisite nose displaying perfectly ripe blackberry, black cherry, a hint of strawberry, sweet spices, rose and mineral. Beautiful harmonious palate, very finely layered warm black and red fruit, round and broad yet silky and precise, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, very fine tannins and a long decadent yet pure black fruit driven finish. Incredibly enjoyable in a youthful way but can easily improve for two decades or more. (95 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive perfumed nose displaying perfectly ripe sweet black fruit with a hint of red, crushed blackberry, raspberry, candied rose petal, dark spices, caramel and mineral. Beautiful sensual palate, very finely layered pure black fruit, warm and round yet perfectly refined and detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and an incredibly long pure black fruit driven finish. As much as I love the Echezeaux and Ruthottes, this is even more compelling. (97 pts.)

June 10 - Before Dinner Drink at La Maison du Colombier

• 2015 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Incredibly hedonistic yet perfectly balanced nose displaying concentrated black fruit, crushed blackberry, blackberry liqueur, black cherry, licorice, rose and acacia, sweet spices and crushed rocks. Unbelievably sensual palate, layers upon layers of opulent pure black fruit, silky and weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless perfectly ripe black fruit driven finish with mineral and Chambolle perfume at the end. Clearly expressing the ripe vintage and the perfumed terroir. Although very primary, It is a stunningly beautiful wine that is drinking incredibly well. However, It can easily improve for another two decades or more. (98 pts.)

June 10 - Dinner 1 at Cave Madeleine
The list was pretty much picked over.

• 2016 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Clos des Bouchères - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Very ripe sweet nose displaying lemon curd, candied lemon peel, peach, sugar candy, almond paste, lanoline, sweet spices and mineral. Very good concentration, impression of residual sugar, medium acidity and mineral and a medium long sweet yellow fruit driven finish with a hint of sugar candy at the end. This is really sweet which is a bit strange. Not worth the price. (92 pts.)
  • 2004 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/10/2019)
    Classic Rayas nose displaying decadent slightly dry red fruit, strawberry jam, dry red cherry, cherry liqueur, tobacco, tapenade, garrigue, leather, baking spices, tree bark and earth. Fully integrated yet youthful palate, finely layered slightly dry red fruit, silky and polished, good acidity and mineral, and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with tobacco and garrigue at the end. Drinking beautifully but no need to hurry. (95 pts.)

June 10 - Dinner 2
As we promised the day before, we stopped by to drink the 14 La Tache. The restaurant was full but our table was ready. The young manager was incredibly kind and offered us DRC Marc, expressive but a bit hot.

We ordered two Galacian steaks, one of the best beefs of my life, appeared to be lean yet so tender and incredibly flavorful.

• 2015 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, lemon curd, a hint of pineapple, honey, honeysuckle, a hint of mint, sea breeze, beeswax, rainwater and crushed rocks. Excellent concentration, nicely layered concentrated yellow citrus fruit, rich and dense yet cool and pure, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long rich sweet yellow fruit driven finish with honeysuckle and wet stone at the end. The generous pure fruit and energy make this really enjoyable. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru (6/10/2019)
    Intoxicating exotic nose displaying perfectly ripe pure black fruit with a hint of red, crushed blackberry, black cherry, sugar coated strawberry, liquid smoke, caramel, sap, violet, rose, Chinese medicine, clove and mineral. Despite being so young, perfectly harmonious palate, layers upon layers of opulent yet pure black fruit, silky and weightless, perfect balance, detail and precision, bright acidity and strong mineral and the finish that never ends. This particular bottle flirts with perfection. mesmerizing! (99 pts.)

June 10 - After Dinner Drink at La Maison du Colombier
We tried hard to convince the young sommelier to open the 15 Rousseau Chambertin to compare but no soup for us! The 15 Rousseaus were remained very expressive. For such young wines, they showed exceptional complexity as well.

• 2015 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (6/10/2019)
    Hedonistic nose displaying concentrated rich black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, candied raspberry, a hint of licorice, toasted oak, violet, perfume, spicy spices and earth. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of perfectly ripe rich black fruit, unctuous and incredibly broad yet also silky and weightless, perfect amount of acidity, earthy mineral and an unbelievably long rich concentrated black fruit driven finish. Although very primary, concentrated and rich, it already displays incredible complexity, purity and balance. Absolute pleasure to drink. (98 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Ruchottes-Chambertin Clos des Ruchottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Ruchottes-Chambertin Grand Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying rich pure black and red fruit, crushed blackberry, black cherry, raspberry, rose, perfume, light caramel, a hint of oak and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of bright pure black and red fruit, rich yet pure, silky and precise, bright acidity, earthy mineral and a long bright sweet black fruit driven finish. Slightly less concentrated but more precise and fresher than the CSJ. Despite clearly reflecting the opulent and ripe vintage typicity it also shows exceptional finesse and precision. (96 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Charmes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying ripe red fruit with a hint of black, cherry pie, raspberry concentrate, a hint of blackberry and black cherry, rose, sweet spices, tree bark and earth. Excellent concentration, packed ripe red fruit, dense and rich yet silky, bright acidity and medium mineral, and a long sweet red fruit driven finish. This doesn’t have the layering and finesse of the other two. Nevertheless, drinking beautifully in a very youthful way. (93 pts.)

June 10 - Nightcap at Le Cep

• 2015 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru (6/10/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying opulent red fruit, cherry jam, black cherry, strawberry and rhubarb tart, cappuccino, light caramel, clove, cola and earth. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of unbelievably concentrated sweet red fruit, unctuous without being heavy, good acidity, earthy mineral, very fine tannins and a long intense ripe red fruit driven finish with caramel and roasted coffee bean at the end. For my palate, I really love Dujac wines in very ripe vintages. Excellent showing. (95 pts.)

Suddenly, my glass of Bedrock rose doesn’t seem so impressive. Well done. Color me jealous. [cheers.gif]

June 11 - Joseph Drouhin Visit
The tour was very informative.

Really old wine press that is used to make Clos des Mouches l’Ouvrée des Dames.

Cellar

Almost brand new! Drouhin doesn’t recork where Bouchard does every twenty years also.

• 2017 Joseph Drouhin / Drouhin-Vaudon Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Very clean and energetic nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, lemon curd, a hint of yellow peach, honey, cool mountain stream and wet stone. Very good concentration, round sweet yellow fruit, cool and energetic and a medium to long clean yellow fruit driven finish. Ripe but clean and delicious. (91 pts.)
  • 2016 Joseph Drouhin Pouilly-Vinzelles - France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Pouilly-Vinzelles (6/11/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, a hint of mint and medium mineral. Good concentration, ripe sweet yellow fruit, round, good acidity and medium mineral and a medium long sweet yellow fruit driven finish. Well made easy drinking wine. (89 pts.)
  • 2016 Joseph Drouhin Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Embazées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Very energetic nose displaying sweet white fruit, pear, sour apple, lemon curd, spicy spices and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered sweet white fruit, rich and good freshness, bright acidity and mineral, and a medium to long sweet white fruit driven finish with a hint of limestone at the end. Really enjoyable. (92 pts.)
  • 2016 Joseph Drouhin Fleurie - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (6/11/2019)
    Very Burgundian with only a hint of animal. Bright red fruit, sweet spices and crushed rocks. Very good concentration, generous sweet red fruit, good acidity, earthy mineral and a medium to long sweet red fruit driven finish. Really delicious already. (90 pts.)
  • 2016 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Les Cras - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Vibrant red fruit driven nose, raspberry, strawberry, nicely perfumed and earthy mineral. Good concentration, really delicious but a bit straightforward. (90 pts.)
  • 2016 Joseph Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying sweet red fruit, raspberry jelly, strawberry, rose, sweet spices and crushed rocks. Very good concentration, nicely layered sweet red fruit, silky, good acidity and mineral, fine tannins and a medium to long sweet red fruit driven finish. Slightly lacking finesse but delicious. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Joseph Drouhin Corton - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying sweet red fruit, cherry preserve, a hint of strawberry, sweet spices and earth. Very good concentration, nicely layered sweet red fruit, good acidity, earthy mineral, slightly coarse tannins and a medium to long jammy red fruit driven finish. Still needs another decade or more to resolve tannins. (93 pts.)
  • 1983 Joseph Drouhin Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Served blind. Beautiful fully mature nose displaying delicate sweet red fruit with a hit of yellow, dry cherry, cherry liqueur, yellow cherry, grilled cep, strong sous bois, caramel, black truffle, cola and tree bark. Fully integrated palate, elegant subtle red fruit, silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity, still a hint of coarse tannins and a seamless long subtle red fruit driven finish with strong sous bois at the end. There is a slight hint of the 83 rot. Since we are informed that the wine is from the 80s, my guess is 83. Perfectly mature Burgundy that is drinking beautifully. (95 pts.)

June 11 - Lunch

We loved them two years ago and we still do.

Really delicious pate.

Poulet de Bresse with Morels in Vin Jaune

Dead soldiers!

• 2016 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Les Forêts - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying ripe yellow citrus, lemon curd, candied lemon peel, honey, beeswax, saline and wet stone. Excellent concentration, sweet citrus fruit, round, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long yellow citrus fruit driven finish. It is round and very sweet but also precise. (93 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Beautiful expressive nose displaying ripe earthy black fruit with a hint of red, blackberry, raspberry, caramel, cinnamon, roasted almond, flowers, tree bark and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of slightly coiled blackberry, silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity, strong mineral, very fine tannins and a long sweet black and red fruit driven finish with a hint of cinnamon at the end. It is drinking beautifully in a very youthful way with ample fruit but can easily improve for another three decades. (97 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine Jean Grivot Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Youthful expressive nose displaying perfectly mature black fruit, blackberry, raspberry, truffle, a hint of sous bois, sweet, mint, cherry cola and limestone. Perfectly balanced palate, very finely layered sweet black fruit, silky and airy, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long black fruit driven finish with mint and caramel at the end. It will be perfect in a decade or two. (97 pts.)

June 11 - Leflaive visit
The 17s are any indication, Leflaive is back on track to be one of the top domaines.

New Cellar

• 2017 Domaine Leflaive Mâcon-Verzé Le Monte - France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Mâcon-Verzé (6/11/2019)
    Delicious nose, fresh white fruit, pear, lemon curd, banana, sweet spices and medium mineral. Very good concentration, rich yet refreshing, good acidity and mineral and a medium to long clean tasty white fruit driven finish. Very enjoyable. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Pouilly-Fuissé La Chaneau - France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Pouilly-Fuissé (6/11/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying fresh white fruit, pear, granny smith, a hint of pineapple, vanilla and limestone. Excellent concentration, ripe yellow fruit, rich and round, bright acidity, good mineral presence and a medium to long sweet white fruit driven finish. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Meursault 1er Cru Sous le Dos d’Âne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying fresh white fruit, pear, white peach, golden delicious, very floral, vanilla, spicy spices and limestone. Excellent concentration, nicely layered fresh sweet white fruit, good focus and precision, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long sweet white fruit driven finish. I am typically not a fan of this bottling but loving the 17 version. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clavoillon - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Expressive energetic nose displaying perfectly ripe white peach, also pear, a hint of flint, vanilla and wet stone. Excellent balance and precision, good freshness, bright acidity, strong matchstick mineral and a long fresh white fruit driven finish. Typically, I find Clavillon to be a couple steps below the other 1er crus but not this time. Really enjoyable. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Beautiful energetic nose displaying rich yet pure yellow and white fruit, peach, pear, a hint of pineapple, banana, spicy spices and wet stone. Excellent concentration, nicely layered rich yellow fruit, exceptional purity and energy, very clean and precise, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long sweet yellow fruit driven finish. This is a rich yet pure and energetic wine. (93 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Beautifully detailed nose displaying pure white fruit, pear, apple, sap, flint, abundant spicy spices and limestone. Excellent concentration, very finely layered pure white fruit, exceptional finesse and precision, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long pure sweet white fruit driven finish. I typically prefer the Pucelles but not this time. Clearly demonstrating the greatness of Leflaive… hopefully the domaine adequately addressed the premox issue. (95 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying ripe white fruit, pear, banana, pineapple, lemon oil, sweet spices, light honey and limestone. Exceptional concentration, i.e. most concentrated 1er crus, dense sweet yellow fruit, rich and dense without being heavy, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long sweet yellow fruit driven finish. Really impressive but I slightly prefer the purity and exceptional detail of the Combettes. (94 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying concentrated yellow fruit, yellow peach, candied lemon peel, light honey, sap, spicy spices, vanilla and crushed rocks. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of deeply toned concentration yellow fruit, dense and oily, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long ripe yellow pit fruit driven finish with sap and vanilla at the end. Excellent showing. (96 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Slightly coiled nose displaying dense ripe yellow fruit, yellow peach, lemon curd, light honey, sesame, sweet spices and limestone. Exceptional concentration, the most concentrated of the tasting, packed slightly coiled ripe yellow fruit, dense and oily but also incredibly focused, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long concentrated ripe yellow fruit driven finish. This is a classic powerful backward batard. (96 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Exquisite nose displaying perfectly ripe fresh white fruit, pear, apple, lemon, candied lemon peel, a hint of flint, subtle sweet spices and limestone. Already showing unbelievable finesse and balance, very finely layered pure white fruit, very precise and detailed, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a seamless long pure white fruit driven finish. Drinking incredibly well but can improve for two decades or more. For my palate, clearly the best wine. Perhaps Leflaive is at the top once again! (98 pts.)

June 11 - Before Dinner Drink at Le Bout du Monde
Before heading to 1243 Bourgogne Society for a private dinner, we stopped by here. The list was solid but no real bargains. The proprietor was the wine/chef of Ma Cuisine.

• 2016 Coche-Dury Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (6/11/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying fresh white fruit, pear, fresh apple juice, lemon curd, a hint of coche flint and limestone. Medium concentration, fresh delicious pear fruit with a hint of citrus, bright acidity, medium mineral and a medium long clean white fruit driven finish. Very nice Bourgogne blanc but simply not possible to justify the current price. (91 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (6/11/2019)
    Medium expressive rich nose displaying opulent sweet black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, red flowers, baking spices, cedar, tree bark and earth. Excellent concentration, nicely layered sweet black fruit, rich and warm, good acidity and mineral, and a medium to long rich sweet black fruit driven finish. This clearly reflects the vintage character and the Rousseau style. Really delicious wine that will age well. (92 pts.)

June 11 - Dinner at 1243 Bourgogne Society
I emailed Bernard Hervet, the former CEO of Bouchard and then Faiveley, earlier to inform him that we would be in Beaune. He kindly invited us to the private wine club, 1243 Bourgogne Society. Unfortunately Bernard had to fly out to San Francisco and we were greeted by his son, Etienne. This was the second time that I had the pleasure to visit the club since the opening. It is a special place.

• 2011 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Nicely detailed nose displaying dense yellow citrus fruit, also granny smith, honey, honeysuckle, a hint of the 11 green, spearmint, rainwater and wet stone. Very good concentration, nicely layered concentrated yellow fruit, rich yet very precise and beautifully focused, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long clean yellow citrus fruit driven finish. It has developed nice for the past five years. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Beautifully mature nose displaying subtle red fruit, raspberry, strawberry jelly, nicely developed sous bois, light caramel, cola and earthy mineral. Fully integrated palate, nicely layered subtle sweet red fruit, silky and fluid, good acidity, medium mineral and a medium to long subtle red fruit driven finish with a hint of sous bois at the end. Drinking beautifully. (93 pts.)
  • 1976 Caves Réunies du Couvent des Cordeliers Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Fully mature nose displaying subtle sweet red fruit, coffee, toffee, soy, black truffle and earth. Fully mature palate, subtle red fruit, silky and fluid, bright acidity, no noticeable minerality and a seamless medium to long subtle red fruit driven finish. Perhaps not displaying the complexity and spicy expression of RSV but drinking beautifully. (93 pts.)

June 11 - After Dinner Drink at Maison Colombier
Maison Colomiber is becoming our “Cheers”!

• 2014 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/11/2019)
    Explosive nose displaying succulent dense yellow fruit, lemon curd, granny smith, a hint of pineapple, honey, spicy spices and wet stone. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated yellow fruit, unctuous and oily yet perfect balance and precision, bright acidity, strong mineral and the finish that never ends. It is richer and more opulent and has no flint like the Coche version but both is equal in quality. Dominique Lafon is making great wines since 2009, IMO. (97 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (6/11/2019)
    Hedonistic nose displaying perfectly ripe pure black fruit, crushed blackberry, blackberry concentrate, black cherry, light caramel, dark flowers, roasted coffee bean and crushed rocks. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of explosive black fruit, opulent and rich yet pure and refined, perfect amount of acidity and strong mineral, and an incredibly long seamless opulent pure black fruit driven finish. This is sexy, sensual and hedonistic. (98 pts.)

June 12 - Faiveley Visit
Erwan kindly hosted us. Faiveley is making some of the best Burgundies. The 18s are exceptional, Chambertin Clos de Beze was memorable.

The new cellar - vat room

The new cellar

• 2007 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Fully mature nose displaying subtle sweet red fruit, red cherry, strawberry, leather, sous bois, spicy spices and earth. Medium concentration, subtle red cherry fruit, slightly lean and precise, medium acidity and mineral, still noticeable fine tannins and a medium to long slightly dry cherry driven finish with sous bois at the end. Like the Cazetier from the night before, it shows good maturity via sous bois and other tertiary flavors. However, this needs time to resolve tannins. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Youthful medium expressive nose displaying bright red fruit, strawberry, sour cherry, a hint of smoked meat and mint, spicy spices, tree bark and earth. Very good concentration, finely layered pure red fruit, silky and polished, good acidity, earthy mineral, noticeable slightly coarse tannins and a medium to long bright red fruit driven finish with spicy spices at the end. The pure red fruit is very enjoyable but the slightly coarse tannins need to be resolved. (94 pts.)
  • 2015 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying intense ripe black and red fruit, blackberry concentrated, black cherry, raspberry, lavender, caramel, a hint of mint, baking spices, charred rare steak and mineral. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated black fruit, dense, unctuous, silky, medium acidity, medium mineral and a long concentrated black cherry and blackberry driven finish with lavender and caramel at the end. This is very ripe and rich. Although enjoyable with the opulent primary fruit, this can easy improve for three decades or more. (95 pts.)
  • 2016 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying pure concentrated red fruit, perfectly ripe strawberry, cherry, lightly smoked meat, spicy spices and limestone. Exceptional concentration, very finely layered concentrated pure red fruit, dense yet silky, precise and detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral and a seamless long bright red fruit driven finish. The best CDC of the flight. The wine to own! (97 pts.)
  • 2017 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying pure black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, rose, sweet spices and limestone. Very good concentration, fresh and pure black fruit, silky and sensual, medium acidity, strong mineral, very fine tannins and a medium to long pure black fruit driven finish. I much the 16. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Faiveley Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe black fruit, fresh blackberry, blackberry liqueur, black cherry, spicy spices, smoke meat and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered concentrated black fruit, round, warm and silky, good acidity, earthy mineral, fine tannins and a long perfectly ripe black fruit driven finish. Although built to age, generous ripe fruit makes this enjoyable and approachable. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Faiveley Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Per Erwan, whole cluster fermentation. Beguiling nose displaying subtle pure red fruit, fresh raspberry, cherry, stem, sap, rose, candied rose pedal and limestone. Really compelling sensual palate, very finely layered subtle red fruit, silky and creamy, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long subtle pure red fruit driven finish. This is a sensual and feminine wine that burgundy classicists can appreciate. Already drinking beautifully. (95 pts.)
  • 2018 Faiveley Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Exquisite nose displaying perfectly ripe black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, lavender, perfume and limestone. Perfectly harmonious palate, layers upon layers of rich yet pure black fruit, incredibly refined, sensual and detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral and a seamless incredibly long pure black fruit driven finish with very perfumed end. It is so sensual yet also truly noble. I dare say this is as good as Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze from a great year. Exceptional! (98 pts.)
  • 2018 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Explosive nose displaying opulent concentrated black fruit, blackberry, blackberry liqueur, Chambord, lavender, baking spices and crushed rocks. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of intense black fruit, unctuous and dense yet silky and sensual, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long concentrated black fruit driven finish. This is the most concentrated wine of the tasting. Really impressive showing. (96 pts.)
  • 2018 Faiveley Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe white fruit, white peach, pear preserve, lemon curd, lanoline, coconut bark and a hint of limestone. Very good concentration, concentrated ripe white fruit, good finesse and precision, medium acidity, medium mineral and a medium to long ripe white fruit driven finish. Although ripe, it retains good balance. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Faiveley Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying dense yellow fruit with a hint of white, lemon curd, apricot, white peach, coconut, sweet spices and earth. Excellent concentration, packed ripe yellow fruit, dense and oily, good acidity, strong limestone mineral, and a medium to long sweet yellow fruit driven mineral finish. Good focus. (93 pts.)

June 12 - Lunch

Foie Gras Torchon

Veal

Dead Soldiers!

• 2016 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    My immediate impression is “Very Perrieres”, great minds think alike as Mr. Tanzer thought so as well. Incredibly approachable and hedonistic yet perfectly focused nose displaying pure yellow fruit with a hint of white, lemon curd, fresh lemon juice, a hint of pear, Coche matchstick, sweet spices, cool mountain stream and wet stone. Perfectly focused and harmonious palate, very finely layered yellow citrus, exceptional finesse and precision, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long perfect ripe yellow citrus driven finish with Coche flint at the end. Although young, drinking incredibly well. (97 pts.)
  • 2008 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Medium expressive complex nose displaying subtle sweet red fruit, raspberry, strawberry and rhubarb tart, plum, strong soub bois, rose, mint, cappuccino, Chinese medicine and earth. Beautifully integrated palate, finely layered subtle red fruit, good balance, bright acidity, earthy mineral and a medium to long subtle slightly dry red fruit driven finish with sous bois at the end. There is a hint of stew/overripe impression. Not as expressive as the previous bottle. (94 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Hedonistic nose displaying ripe black fruit, blackberry preserve, black cherry, very floral, black truffle, grilled meat, sesame, sap and earthy mineral. Exceptional concentration, very finely layered concentrated ripe black fruit, rich and concentrated yet silky and detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long opulent black fruit driven finish with fat and rose at the end. Despite being young, drinking magnificently. (97 pts.)

June 12 - Comte Liger Belair Visit
The visit with Louis Michel is always the highlight of our Burgundy visit. He is making some of the best wines in Burgundy. His 18s were incredible, expressive yet also sensual.

• 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos des Grandes Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Very rich nose displaying opulent yellow fruit, banana, lemon curd, pineapple, crème brulee, light caramel and limestone. Excellent concentration, rich oily yellow fruit, very creamy, a hint of fizz, good acidity and mineral and a medium to long ripe yellow fruit driven finish. This is a very ripe and rich wine. (91 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (6/12/2019)
    Beautiful floral nose, perfectly ripe pure black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, violet, lavender, perfume, sweet spices and crushed rocks. Very good concentration, very finely layered pure black fruit, silky, exceptional finesse and detail, medium acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long perfectly ripe black fruit driven finish. It beautifully and clearly expresses the vintage typicity and the producer style. (92 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée La Colombiere - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (6/12/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying rich yet pure black fruit, crushed blackberry, black cherry, Vosne spice, sweet spices, lavender and limestone. Excellent concentration, nicely layered rich black fruit, unctuous and rich yet silky and polished, good acidity, strong mineral and a long sweet black fruit driven finish with a hint of Vosne spice and mineral at the end. I have not been too impressed by this crus in the past but this shows exceptionally well. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges Aux Lavières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges (6/12/2019)
    Youthful expressive nose displaying ripe red and black fruit, cranberry sauce, black cherry, crushed black pepper, lavender and limestone. There is a hint of Vosne spice which is interesting. Excellent concentration, packed jammy red and black fruit, medium acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long concentrated red and black fruit driven finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée Clos du Château - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (6/12/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying vibrant pure red fruit, strawberry jam, fresh strawberry, black cherry, rose, Vosne spice and limestone. Already showing beautiful balance and harmony, finely layered pure red fruit, silky and beautifully detailed, medium acidity, strong mineral and a long sweet red fruit driven finish. It is perfectly enjoyable already. By far, my favorite Vosne Romanee village wine that is often drinking like 1er crus. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Chaumes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Expressive energetic nose displaying bright sweet red fruit, strawberry candy, raspberry preserve, black cherry, sap, sweet spices and limestone. Medium concentration, finely layered pure candied red fruit, silky, exceptional finesse and precision, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long sweet red fruit driven mineral finish. Really nice showing but a step below the other Vosne 1er crus which are exceptional. (94 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Hedonistic nose displaying perfectly ripe black fruit, crushed blackberry, black cherry, a hint of licorice, roasted nuts, Vosne spice, lavender and limestone. Beautiful harmonious palate, layers upon layers of pure crunch black fruit, incredible silkiness and precision, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long pure black fruit driven finish with a hint of Vosne spice at the end. Exceptional showing. (96 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Brulées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Exquisite nose displaying intense black and red fruit, blackberry, Chambord, black cherry, a hint of licorice, baking spices, a hint of milk chocolate, violet and limestone. Beautifully detailed sensual palate, very finely layered sweet red fruit, silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long sweet black fruit driven finish. The fruit expression is rich yet the palate is beautifully detailed and sensual. (96 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Mouthwatering nose displaying perfectly ripe pure black fruit, crushed blackberry and black cherry mix, crushed rose petal, Vosne spice, a hint of cedar, spicy spices and crushed rocks. Incredibly detailed sensual palate, layers upon layers of pure black fruit, silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long pure black fruit driven finish with Vosne spice and mineral at the end. As usual, my favorite Vosne 1er crus from Louis Michel. Loving it! (97 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    From Barrel, I wrote “If you can smell silk, this is it.” and my impression remains identical. Incredibly refined yet hedonistic nose displaying pure sweet black fruit, blackberry liqueur, fresh blackberry, black cherry, a hint of licorice, dark milk chocolate, rose, a hint of Vosne spice, spicy spices and crushed rocks. Perfectly harmonious palate, very finely layered pure black fruit, silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long pure black fruit driven finish with a hint of licorice at the end. Drinking beautifully. (95 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Aux Cras - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying sweet black and red fruit, blackberry jelly, cherry preserve, a hint of flint, spicy spices, lavender and earth. This is a hint of Vosne spice which is interesting. Excellent concentration, packed sweet red and black fruit, unctuous and warm yet silky and nicely detailed, medium acidity and earthy mineral, and a long sweet concentrated red and black fruit driven finish. I seem to underrated it from barrel. Really enjoyable. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Brulées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Beautifully detailed nose displaying pure sweet black fruit, blackberry, blackberry liqueur, a hint of licorice, spicy spices and limestone. Gorgeous sensual palate, very finely layered pure black fruit, fluid and almost weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral and a seamless long pure black fruit driven finish. Despite being primary, incredibly complex and delicious. (96 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying sweet red and black fruit, cranberry sauce, raspberry candy, blackberry, black cherry, light caramel, rose, sweet spices and limestone. Beautifully integrated palate, nicely layered sweet red and black fruit, warm and round and silky and nicely detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long sweet red and black fruit driven finish. There is more red fruit compare to the Brulees. Drinking beautifully in a youthful way. (97 pts.)
  • 2006 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair La Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Romanée Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    The last bottle from two years ago was off…. Not this time! Absolutely gorgeous nose displaying pure black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, lactic, black truffle, rose, Vosne spice and limestone. Perfectly harmonious and balanced palate, very finely layered pure black fruit, sensual and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long black fruit driven finish. I am not a big fan of the 06 vintage but this is drinking incredibly well. (96 pts.)

June 12 - Dinner at Le Terroir
I didn’t mention a few of the restaurant names and this is why. Within two years, La Tache prices had increased 2.5X.

• 2014 Hubert Lamy Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    Refreshing energetic nose displaying ripe white fruit, pear, white peach, granny smith, lemon crud, rain water and limestone. Very good concentration, nicely layered sweet white fruit, bright acidity, strong mineral and a medium to long clean white fruit driven finish. Really enjoyable. (92 pts.)
  • 2015 Bachey-Legros Santenay Clos des Hâtes Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Santenay (6/12/2019)
    Slightly harsh red fruit, pretty straightforward. (84 pts.)

June 12 - After Dinner Drink at Maison Colombier
Cheers! everybody knows your name!

• 2012 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/12/2019)
    This has developed beautifully. Expressive nose displaying succulent yellow fruit, lemon curd, yellow peach, apple candy, a hint of honey, spicy spices, vanilla and crushed rock. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of succulent sweet yellow fruit, dense and rich yet pure and focused, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long succulent yellow fruit driven finish. This is drinking incredibly well. Absolutely no sign of premox. For my palate, Dominique Lafon is making some of the best white Burgundies since the 09 vintage. (96 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Beautifully detailed nose displaying perfectly ripe red fruit, raspberry, cherry compote, sweet spices, rose, sap and limestone. Excellent concentration, very finely layered bright red fruit, silky, polished and beautifully detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long bright red fruit driven finish. Not as opulent and concentrated as the Clos Vougeot from two nights ago, also more red fruit. Drinking beautifully. (96 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Ruchottes-Chambertin Clos des Ruchottes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Ruchottes-Chambertin Grand Cru (6/12/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying perfectly ripe black and red fruit, blackberry, black cherry, cranberry, subtle flowers, light caramel and limestone. Excellent concentration, very finely layered sweet red fruit, silky and polished, beautifully balanced and detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long sweet red and black berry driven finish. Consistent with the bottle from two nights ago. Another excellent showing. (95 pts.)

June 13 - Jean Grivot Visit
M. Etienne kindly received us. He is a passionate wine maker. The wines were very classic ad pure.

View from Jean Grivot

• 2018 Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (6/13/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying pretty red fruit, strawberry, cherry soda, spice spices and limestone. Medium concentration, nicely layered, round yet precise, medium acidity, medium mineral and a medium to long subtle pretty red fruit driven finish. Slightly lean but pretty and delicious. (90 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Jean Grivot Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Roncières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Bright red fruit, cherry, strawberry, Chambolle like perfume, spicy spices and mineral. Very good concentration, finely layered red fruit, elegant and refined, medium acidity and mineral, fine tannins and a medium to long bright red fruit driven finish with perfume at the end. (92 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Jean Grivot Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Boudots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Much richer compare to the Roncieres, red fruit, raspberry, a hint of Chambord, blackberry, a hint of animal and green, sweet spices and earth. Excellent concentration, nicely layered sweet red fruit, rich and round, medium acidity and mineral, noticeable but fine tannins and a medium to long rich red fruit and earth driven finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Beautiful complex nose displaying pure black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, roasted coffee bean, sweet spices and earth. Very good concentration, nicely layered pure black fruit, very refined and precise, good acidity and mineral, and a seamless long pure black fruit driven finish. Slightly lean and very polished. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Jean Grivot Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying rich ripe black fruit blackberry, black cherry, a hint of licorice, baking spices, and earth. Excellent concentration, nicely layered sweet back fruit, rich and warm, fine tannins and a long concentrated black fruit driven finish with a hint of licorice at the end. Perhaps the most concentrated and masculine wine of the line up. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Jean Grivot Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Beautiful nose displaying generous warm red fruit, strawberry candy, raspberry, sweet spices and mineral. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of sweet red fruit, silky, round and warm, fine tannins and a long sweet red fruit driven finish. This is a really good warm and rich Echezeaux. (95 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Jean Grivot Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Stunningly beautiful nose displaying perfectly ripe black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, light caramel, strong Vons spice, sweet spices and limestone. Perfectly harmonious palate, incredibly layered pure black fruit, sensual and precise, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long sweet black fruit driven finish. It is the epitome of sophistication. (98 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (6/13/2019)
    Really pretty nose just like the 18 Vosne but more black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, rose, perfume, sap and limestone. Very good balance and precision, nicely layered pure black fruit, silky and polished, good acidity and mineral, and a medium to long pure black fruit driven finish. I slightly prefer the detail and precision of this vs the 18 version.
    Delicious. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Jean Grivot Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Roncières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying bright red fruit, strawberry concentrated, raspberry, cherry compote, sweet spices and limestone. Excellent concentration, finely layered sweet red fruit, round and warm yet silky and polished, good acidity and mineral, very fine tannins and a medium to long sweet red fruit driven finish. Nice showing. (93 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying rich red fruit, strawberry candy, raspberry, red currant, sap, rose, sweet spices and earth. Excellent concentration, finely layered sweet red fruit, rich and broad yet silky and nicely detailed, medium acidity and mineral, and a long bright sweet red fruit driven finish with rose and sweet spices at the end. This is a classic Vosne 1er crus with good precision and detail. (94 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Jean Grivot Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying rich black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, spicy spices, tree bark and earth. Excellent concentration, concentrated black fruit, rich and round, good acidity, earthy mineral and a long concentrated black fruit driven earthy finish. Nice showing. (94 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Jean Grivot Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive youthful nose displaying pure red fruit with a hint of black, cherry pie, fresh cherry, strawberry, black cherry, a hint of mint, sweet spices and limestone mineral. Youthful yet very harmonious palate, very finely layered sweet red fruit, round, silky and sensual, bright acidity, medium mineral and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with a hint of red at the end. Really enjoyable already. (95 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Jean Grivot Richebourg - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Absolutely gorgeous nose displaying perfectly ripe pure black fruit, blackberry, blackberry concentrate, intoxicating perfume, rose, Vosne spice, sap, black truffle and subtle limestone. Perfect balance and incredible detail, so finely layered pure black fruit, intense yet weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long perfectly ripe black fruit driven finish with a hint of Vosne spice at the end. Already a hedonistic experience. (98 pts.)

June 13 - Lunch
Truly farm to table!

Before

After, Pintade aka Guinea Fowl

The 15 La Tache was simply perfect!

• 2015 Domaine Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Clos des Bouchères - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe yellow citrus fruit, lemon curd, candied lemon zest, clementine, lactic, sweet spices and limestone. Very good concentration, ripe sweet citrus fruit, rich, fat and slightly cloying, medium acidity and mineral, and a medium to long sweet yellow fruit driven finish. Not worth the current market price. (92 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Simply perfect nose displaying opulent yet pure black fruit with a hint of red, crushed blackberry, blackberry liqueur, black cherry, black plum, Chambord, already showing complex sous bois, light caramel, truffle, a hint of Chinese medicine, espresso bean, Ti Kuan Yin tea, sweet spices and subtle limestone mineral. There is a hint of DRC stem in the background. Unbelievably concentrated yet perfectly balanced, layers upon layers of perfectly ripe opulent black fruit, incredibly dense yet perfectly precise and detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and the finish that never ends that resonates with tea and Vosne spice. Despite being primary, it displays mindboggling complexity and perfect balance. Sharing a bottle with a great friend is simply priceless! (100 pts.)

June 13 - Frederic Mugnier Visit
The 18s were exceptional at Mugnier which was not surprising.

• 2018 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (6/13/2019)
    Very pretty and delicious, sugar coated red fruit, sweet spices, rose and limestone. Medium concentration, nicely layered sweet red fruit, ripe yet linear and precise, bright acidity, medium limestone mineral and a medium to long sweet red fruit driven finish with rose and limestone at the end. It will be a really delicious yet pretty wine. (91 pts.)
  • 2018 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying opulent black fruit with a hint of red, blackberry, black cherry, cherry liqueur, sap, very floral, spicy spices and limestone mineral. Excellent concentration, nicely layered opulent black fruit, rich and sappy, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long ripe black fruit driven finish with sap and spicy spices at the end. Much deeper and more black fruit driven than the village Chambolle. (94 pts.)
  • 2018 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Beautifully detailed nose displaying very fine pure black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, a hint of licorice, baking spices, lavender and limestone. Very polished palate, finely layered pure black fruit, silky, energetic and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long sweet black fruit driven finish with lavender and licorice at the end. I have not been a big fan of this crus but this is excellent. (95 pts.)
  • 2018 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Exquisite nose displaying decadent yet pure black fruit, crushed blackberry and black cherry, diluted blackberry liqueur, cornucopia of flowers especially lavender, spicy spices and limestone mineral. Very sensual palate, very finely layered perfectly ripe pure black fruit, silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long perfectly ripe black fruit driven finish with resonating floral note. Beautifully expressing the ripe vintage and the delicate floral terroir. (96 pts.)
  • 2018 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Exquisite nose displaying prefect ripe pure black fruit, essence of blackberry, blackberry liqueur, licorice, sap, lavender and violet, sweet spices and limestone mineral. Perfect balance and harmony, so finely layered opulent yet pure black fruit, incredible finesse, sensual and weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long pure black fruit driven finish with licorice and lavender at the end. This is like a great Chevalier Montrachet, subtle yet incredibly detailed nose with very precise sensual palate. (98 pts.)
  • 2018 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying concentrated ripe red and black fruit, baking spices, a hint of licorice and earth. Excellent concentration, packed ripe red and black fruit, unctuous and rich, good acidity and mineral, and a long ripe red and black fruit driven finish. This may improve in barrel to provide better precision and detail. (91 pts.)
  • 2017 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying ripe red fruit, strawberry jam, Chambord, cherry, grilled steak, dark spices, tree bark and earth. Excellent concentration, packed sweet red fruit, rich and round, bright acidity, medium earthy mineral and a medium to long sweet red fruit driven earthy finish. Drinking nicely in a youthful way. (92 pts.)
  • 2013 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Beautifully perfumed nose displaying subtle pure black fruit, blackberry liqueur, black cherry, rose and lavender, clove, cinnamon and limestone. Very sensual palate, so finely layered subtle pure black fruit, exceptional finesse, energy and precision, perfect amount of acidity, medium mineral, and a seamless long subtle black fruit driven finish with cinnamon and rose at the end. This will be the next Musigny release. Drinking magnificently already. (97 pts.)
  • 2017 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Very opulent nose displaying ripe yellow fruit with a hint of white, pineapple, peach, a hint of pear, coconut, sweet spices and mineral. Excellent concentration, concentrated yellow fruit, rich and dense, good acidity, strong mineral, and a medium to long sweet yellow fruit driven finish. (91 pts.)

June 13 - Hostellerie de Levernois
We originally planned to dine in Dijon but we were a bit too tired and had to leave for Paris in the morning. We opted to dine here instead.
My first time visiting this beautiful property. The cooking was exceptional and the service was perfect. This should be easily two stars. We ordered the 13 Coche Corton Charlemagne which was slightly corked. The sommelier initially thought it may blow off but later came back to take the bottle which was nice.

Escargot and Frogs Legs

Foie Gras

Poulet de Bresse

Nice line up.

• 2013 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Expressive nose displaying ripe tropical yellow fruit, lemon curd, a hint of pineapple, lemon oil, pine needle, sap, a hint of mint, beeswax, cool mountain stream and crushed rocks. Excellent concentration, nicely layered rich yellow fruit, rich yet nicely focused and energetic, bright acidity, strong mineral and a long ripe yellow fruit driven finish with beeswax and limestone at the end. Despite being ripe, it shows nice focus, precision and energy. Drinking beautifully. (95 pts.)
  • 2016 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Very focused nose displaying slightly coiled opulent white fruit, pear, lemon curd, granny smith, honeysuckle, rose, cool breeze and we stone. Excellent concentration, packed concentrated white citrus fruit, rich and dense yet good focus and precision, perfect amount of acidity, good wet stone and mineral, and a long slightly coiled ripe white fruit driven finish. Although very youthful, it is drinking beautifully with generous fruit and good precision. I ever so slightly prefer the 13 which is more precise as it shed some of the primary fruit. (95 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Youthful expressive nose displaying perfectly ripe pure black fruit, crushed blackberry and black cherry, a hint of caramel, beautifully perfumed, crushed rose petal, cedar, dark spices and earth. Already showing exceptional balance and complexity, very finely layered pure black fruit, silky and fluid, bright acidity, strong earthy mineral and a seamless long pure black fruit driven finish. It is drinking incredibly well in a very youthful way. Like the 14 La Tache, very expressive and classic. (97 pts.)

June 13 - Nightcap at Le Cep
Justin bought a bottle of the 96 Dugat Py - GC earlier. Unfortunately, it was poorly stored and he exchanged with the 09 Faiveley CC. The last bottle of wine in Beaune.

• 2009 Faiveley Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (6/13/2019)
    Medium expressive very ripe yellow fruit driven nose, peach, apricot, a hint of lemon curd, roasted nuts, honey, sweet spice and medium mineral. Excellent concentration, rich and ripe, a bit heavy, medium acidity and mineral, and a medium long ripe yellow fruit driven finish. (91 pts.)

June 14 - Le Willi’s Wine Bar

• 2005 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (6/14/2019)
    Slightly tight nose initially but opens up nicely, intense black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, smoked meat, tapenade, garrigue, caramel, truffle, leather and crushed rocks. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of dark cherry fruit, bright acidity, strong mineral, still displaying very pronounced slightly coarse tannins and a long intense black fruit driven finish with garrigue and leather at the end. The nose is quite complex but the palate remains youthful. It can easily improve for another decade or two. Decanting is highly recommended. (95 pts.)

June 14 - Dinner at Bistrot du Sommelier
The restaurant owned by Philippe Faure-Brac, the 92 world champion sommelier.

• 1974 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Mouline - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (6/14/2019)
    Fully mature color. Complex fully mature nose displaying dry black fruit, subtle blackberry, dry cherry, dry fig, licorice, garrigue, smoked meat, balsamico, madeira, toffee, black truffle and rose. With air, coffee and dark milk chocolate emerge. Fully integrated palate, subtle black fruit, silky and fluid, bright acidity, subtle mineral, fully resolved tannins and a long subtle sweet black fruit driven finish. The nose constantly changes. Although very enjoyable, there is no reason to wait. (94 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru (6/14/2019)
    Exquisite youthful yet complex nose, bright sweet red fruit, raspberry, strawberry and rhubarb tart, sour cherry, rose, sap, a hint of stem, a good amount of sous bois, Chinese medicine, tea, baking spices, truffle and earth. Beautifully integrated sensual palate, layers upon layers of sweet red fruit, very precise and detailed, silky and fluid, bright acidity, strong mineral and a seamless incredibly long sweet red fruit driven finish with sous bois and caramel at the end. This bottle is a bit more ready than the last October bottle. Perhaps not as complex as La Tache but it is showing magnificently. If one prefers a lot of sous bois, it can easily improve for another two decades. (98 pts.)

June 14 - After Dinner Drink at Hotel Bristol
We were seated in the courtyard. This was a nice way to end the memorable trip.

• 2009 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny Le Bourg - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (6/14/2019)
    Gorgeous floral nose displaying perfectly ripe sweet black and red fruit, crushed blackberry, blackberry jam, a hint of strawberry, rose, caramel, dark milk chocolate, black truffle, cedar and earth. Beautifully balanced palate, very finely layered sweet black and red fruit, very broad, warm and round, silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long sweet black fruit and caramel driven finish with a hint of rose at the end. The palate is really sensual. Drinking deliciously yet it can easily improve for a couple more decades. (95 pts.)
  • 2008 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Blanchot - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (6/14/2019)
    Incredible focused energetic nose displaying pure yellow citrus fruit, lemon curd, candied lemon zest, granny smith, honeysuckle, acacia, a hint of spearmint, beeswax, sea breeze, cool mountain stream, spicy spices and limestone. Exceptional balance and precision, layers upon layers of concentrated yellow citrus fruit, laser like focus, exceptional energy and freshness, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a long slightly coiled yellow citrus fruit driven finish with flower and mineral at the end. Drinking magnificently. (96 pts.)

This was truly a memorable trip. Five winos sharing one crazy passion in wine, especially Burgundy!
Posted from CellarTracker

What incredible wines, food, pictures, and what great write-ups! I feel like I just went there!

Great pictures and notes - thanks for posting!

Beautiful and amazing wines. I cant wait until I get my hands on the '18!

Great …

I has Rayas red 2005 at home a month ago : perfect : 100/100 !
(Rayas red 2006 drank in april in the Sierra de Gredos vineyards (with Fernando Garcia : Maranones and Comando-G) scored at 19/20).

I had Jamet Côte Brune 2005 in 2008 : 17+/20 : this bottle needed five extra years of cellaring, at least.
The Côte-Rôtie Jamet 2005 is ready and great (18/20 - july 2018, when the french football team got its second star).

I visited Rousseau in november 2017. The best wines :
Rousseau Clos St-Jacques 2016 : 18/20
Rousseau Chambertin 2016 : 18,5/20
Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Bèze 2016 : 18/20

I love that Kevin does all the heavy lifting posting this. Leaves me to add color commentary when I get back home.

Well done Kevin!

Heavy damage there guys! I’m thirsty now :slight_smile: - thanks for sharing the notes and pics Kevin.

Great writeup and candid observations Kevin. What an incredible trip.

Was there any kind of budget for this trip??? I would be impressed to see the restaurant bills. It must be weird to come back to what many of us know as the “real world”. I must say the documentation was pretty thorough. I cannot remember any thread that comes close to this one in terms of drinking highlights. Would be happy to attend one of these dinners with your group in the future…that would require a second mortgage however!

Did we drop some coin? Of course, but not like you might think. Value is, of course, relative but we always seek value on these trips. Buying these wines at US restaurants, assuming they are even available, would be crazy. That is also why we do not mention many of the places we drink these wines because, as Kevin mentioned, they would quickly be raped and pillaged.

how would it be any different from what was on display here?

amazing trip and so well documented. Bravo!

Kelly,

indeed, it is all relative. I looked on wine lists at some US restaurants via internet and could not believe what I saw. But since the wine prices in your country are really crazy most of the times especially for Burgundy and Bordeaux you think the prices are very affordable in Europe. That is no longer the case. Especially Burgundy and Bordeaux got very expensive for us as well. It wasn’t usual for us European citizens to pay hundreds or thousands for a bottle of very good Bourgogne or Bordeaux. Not long ago one could have Rousseau Clos St. Jacques for 200 Euros at a Restaurant. Or a 1989 La Mission Haut Brion for 300. The situation changed heavily. Now all these kind of wines are 1.000 or more. It isn’t too comforting for us to know that the prices are even 3 or 5 times higher in the US. That is one reason why globalization is under pressure. Almost everywhere. Because only the biggest money will have access to the worlds finest goods. I promise this formula will not work over a long period of time. The majority will elect the wrong politicians to protect their interests. This trend can be seen already almost everywhere in Europe.

Dennis,

Certainly, they drank expensive wines in the restaurants. Very expensive wines. But, if you ever went to Burgundy, you would be amazed at how well you and eat and drink at more reasonable prices there than one can here. There are restaurants in Beaune like Maison du Colombier and Relais du Saulx where you can eat wonderfully for reasonable prices (I think the price for a three course meal at Relais du Saulx was around 35-40 euros, for example). And, some restaurants have old and long-standing relationships with growers. The prices that growers charge for Burgundies and the prices we in the US pay for these wines have very little relationship to each other. You can drink more modest Burgundies, but ones that you would find expensive here, for prices that would make you less unhappy. Here are a couple of examples of wine lists that are posted on the internet. Le Soufflot - Restaurant à Meursault (note for example a Roulot Bourgogne Blanc that is 45 euros there and likely over $100 here, at retail, if you can find it)