Greatest field blend wines?

What’s your fav field blend wines…the ones commingled in the vineyard not at the winery? Geyserville is definitely a benchmark…love what Turley does with Casa Nuestra…plenty from Bedrock… the more ancient and gnarly the better! Name some?

Dominus?

I may be wrong.

Gotta go with Bedrock vineyard on that one!! Also big fan of what Will Bucklin does with his Old Hill vineyard, and the magic Mike Officer creates from both Carlisle Vineyard and Montafi.

For whites, hard to beat the field blends from Compagni Portis Vineyard (although I believe it has a new name as of fairly recently??).

So many good ones - looking forward to hearing others thoughts!

Cant beat the Bedrock Oakville Farmhouse

Wieninger’s Gemischter Satz wines are in a league of their own. Nußberg 2013 was spectacular.

In Vienna, those start at about $10 a bottle:

[u]https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/wieninger+gemischter+satz[/u]

They sure do sound interesting:

[u]http://www.wieninger.at/en/wines/wiener-gemischter-satz/index.php[/u]

We’ve been fans of Acorn Winery (Healdsburg) for a long time. Field blends are their specialty.

Sorry, forgot to add “Single Vineyard” before Gemischter Satz. The regular bottling is good, but nothing on par with the better ones. However, even them are not expensive, priced around 15-25€ a bottle.

https://www.potzinger.at/produkt/alte-reben-ried-sulztal-gemischter-satz
(old vines)

Geyserville - full stop

But then we can get into the discussion about what exactly is a field blend. Do the grapes have to be picked all at once? Are they required to be co-fermented? Do the proportions in the finished wine have to match the proportions in the vineyard? How many different varieties are required? Two? Five? Thirteen?

I’m putting Bedrock over Ridge. This is Morgan’s sweet-spot. And he’s doing it brilliantly.

I say yes on co-fermenting and proportions.

So if the Carignan has a bad year the wine is no longer a field blend? Or is the winemaker expected to suffer the slings and arrows of the wine board community for a substandard wine? [stirthepothal.gif]

No, sell it off as bulk juice. newhere

It is a really amazing wine, but I still prefer Geyserville (and Lytton, but I had to pick one). There’s also track record and longevity. I am pretty sure Morgan’s Bedrock will do very well, but time will tell.

So many of the vineyards planted around the turn of the 20th Century were mixed black field blends. Great ones mentioned, but the classic may be Old Hill Ranch in the Sonoma Valley. A Bedrock version will be available soon.

Marcel Deiss wines are often brilliant examples of field blending.

Interestingly Geyserville has not always been a field blend according to their labels. The 1980 was 100% Zinfandel from hillside vineyard(s). The 1981 included 5% Petite Sirah, 1982 included 10% PS and the 1983 15% PS. The current Geyserville is indeed a wonderful field blend and a must buy every year. As others have mentioned Lytton Springs, Old Hill and Bedrock are all terrific along with many of Carlisle wines.

The grape percentages no doubt vary in most of these field blend wines. As I jokingly discussed with CJ above, producers are not going to include crap grapes, just to satisfy a mythical definition of field blend.

Pagani Ranch. There are quite a few, including Bedrock, Ridge, Carlisle, Biale, Seghesio to name a few that make a field blend from that vineyard. 100+ year old vines in the heart of Sonoma Valley. Special place…