2018 Bordeaux Futures - What Did Everyone Buy?

Since it was mentioned on the Best Bordeaux futures retailers post and we are essentially through most of the 2018 season (save for Petrus) - curious what others on the Board bought of 2018 futures. It is a special year for me so did a good bit:

1. Leoville Las Cases - 6x750ml and 1x3L
  2. Calon-Segur - 6x750ml and 1x3L
  3. Les Carmes Haut-Brion - 6x750ml
  4. Lynch-Bages - 2x375ml
  5. Pontet-Canet - 2x375ml
  6. Rauzan-Segla - 6x750ml
  7. Ausone - 1x3L
  8. Lafite Rothschild - 6x750ml
  9. Canon - 6x750ml

Thought it would be fun to see what everyone did! Put most of my orders in with Total Wine and Zachy’s save for the Rauzan which I found at Laguna Cellar for a good price (it has since moved up).

3 x 2018 Domaine de Chevalier
1 x 2018 Domaine de Chevalier (1.5L)
1 x 2018 Château Canon (1.5L)
1 x 2018 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande (1.5L)
3 x 2018 Château Léoville Poyferré
6 x 2018 Château Pontet-Canet
3 x 2018 Château Les Carmes Haut-Brion

All 750ml, except where noted.

1 Like

none and never will again

cheers

1. Clinet (case)
  2. Les Carmes Haut Brion (case)
  3. Palmer (case)
  4. Larcis Ducasse (case)
  5. Calon Segur (case)
  6. Canon (case)
  7. Rauzan Segla (case)
  8. Pontet Canet (case)
  9. Beausejour Duffau Lagarrosse (case)
  10. Leoville Las Cases (case)
  11. Ausone (3 btls)
  12. La Conseillante (case)
  13. L’If (3 btls)
  14. View Chateau Certan (case)

champagne.gif

1 Like

Montrose -6
Calon segur -6
Dame de Montrose-12
Meyney -12
Phelan -6
Pontet Canet -6
Pichon Baron -6
Lynch bages -6
Grand Puy Lacoste -12
RĂ©serve comtesse -6
Labegorce -6
D’Issan -6
Domain chev -6
Smith Haut Lafitte-6
Leoville Barton -12
Beausejour Becot-6
Canon -6
Clinet -6
Feytit clinet-6
Dalem-6
Les cruzelles-6

Total of 1 mixed case, 2 bottles each, Calon Segur, P. Lalande, Ducru, Beychevelle, Rauzan Segla, Beau-sejour Becot. Consider it a curiosity purchase for comparison purposes.

I’m getting too old, so I swore I wasn’t going to buy any. But then I got weak and bought 6 Leoville Barton. At my age (51) it makes more sense to buy older vintages.

this

1 Like

How soon will it make sense to drink 2018 Bordeaux?

If you listen to some people here about 2048

Lol… perfect. Looks like I’ll never get into Bordeaux futures. Far too impatient.

Depends on the vintage and to a degree the specific wines. Most if not all 1999, 2001, and 2004 wines are drinking really nicely now. From what I read, the 2009s are likely to drink early – maybe 507 years from now? As for 2005, most 2000s, and 2010s? Be patient

None. I bought six bottles of VCC in 2012. Apart from a bottle of Petrus in 2010 that’s it for the decade.

But if you listen to people that have actually tasted the wine, the answer would be far more nuanced and realistic.

There are no wines from 2018 that need 30 years of age. ZERO!

Maturity depends on the specific wine and what you level of age you enjoy drinking your wine.

2018 is an opulent forward vintage, so most upper-end wines be delicious to drink between 10-15 years of age. Yes, they’ll continue improving. But that’s the start of the sweet spot.

Lower end wines, cru bourgeois and the best Bordeaux superior will be great starting at 5 years of age. Yes, some of the best in those categories will continue improving, but that’s a good starting point.

Lesser value wines can be popped in release or with a year or 2 of age.

Thank you guys for the insight. Looks like 18 may be a good first year to get into Bordeaux futures. I typically drink big napa cabs but can see things shifting.

Im not going in 2018 futures much.
Bought case of laroque due to Jeff’s reco.
Case of LLC for $150/bttle.

1 Like

Jeff, I would love to know what you bought. I’ve read your reviews but would appreciate knowing what you pulled the trigger on – however I can also appreciate if you’d rather not post it publicly.

Nothing. But I have picked up quite a few 09, 15, 16 at or below their EP pricing.

YLee - how did you find LLC at $150 a bottle? I see it more like $250 a bottle?