Maxem Release

Anyone buying Maxem 2017 pinots or chards?

Yessir! Both are incredibly solid, well made wines. Plus it’s super easy to support awesome people like Sam and Nancy

Bought three of each! Tasted with Nancy earlier this year and really enjoyed them!

Bought the Chardonnay but may go back for the Pinot!

How’s the Pinot compare to Rivers Marie Pinot?

So, what is this? Anyone want to give some background?

Basically, its Sam Kaplan’s (Arkenstone, Memento Mori, Vangone) personal venture/label, where he makes Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from the UV Vineyard from the Calera and Wente clone, respectively. Burgundian in style.

MAXEM is a new project from Sam and Nancy Kaplan. Sam makes the wine for Arkenstone, Vangone, and Memento Mori. He also used to make Nine Suns up until 2017 vintage. The grapes are sourced from Sonoma (UV Vineyard, I believe). I had these wines back in April and they were delicious.

I will be in for some of the chard.

Out of curiosity, how would you compare them to VV’s Platt Vineyard Chard/PN? I’ve had both and have my own opinions on them, but wanted to hear others.

I have never had VV Platt but have heard great things…

Which vintage(s) of VV Platt PN and CH?

I purchased a 3 pack of the Maxem chard, its outstanding.

We actually just did a direct comparison of the two a couple weeks ago (VV chard and Pinot vs Maxem chard and Pinot). For our tastes they were very close in terms of preference. I believe we gave a slight edge to the VV chard and the pinots were too close to call.

Interesting, I haven’t had the pinot but the I think the VV Chard is slightly better but not by much.