Retailer Ghosting Incident

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Ian Fitzsimmons

Retailer Ghosting Incident

#1 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 20th, 2019, 5:11 am

I’m having an uncomfortable shipping-delivery issue with a retailer and want to get the right perspective on it. In sum, after a shipping SNAFU, in which the shipment was inadvertently returned to its origin, the retailer at first indicated he would re-ship it, then, during the subsequent five weeks, hasn’t answered my calls or returned any messages.

Details:

The retailer is a known New York seller, albeit – in his words – a one-man operation. I’m a minor buyer at this address, but have purchased from the seller several times without a hitch. Like many sellers, this one allows buyers to assembling full cases piecemeal – a few bottles here, a few there – before shipping. This is a courtesy I acknowledge and appreciate. During 2018, I assembled a case and, in December, I invited him to ship immediately, so he could get the order out of his warehouse. The seller agreed, but stopped the shipment at the last moment because of sudden extreme cold – again, kudos to him – the point being that he is generally a decent, professional guy. We held the package and shipped in May 2019 instead.

In the past, the seller had shipped by UPS, and my address of record with him was a local UPS transshipment center, where I can pick up and sign for packages. Since my last order with him, however, the retailer had changed to a third-party shipper. Unbeknownst to me, the third-party company morphs into Fedex once the package enters my state, and the UPS address would not accept the Fedex package, so it was returned to the shipment center in NY.

A week later, I asked the retailer if package had been re-shipped, and received this response:

“Hope to get it back by today/tomorrow and have to [sic] inspected and make sure it’s all ok.”

After this, I called or wrote him once a week asking how things stood. In the fourth week after the original shipping date, I left messages several days running, expressing my discomfort with the lack of response.

This is the end of week five since the original shipment date, and I’ve heard nothing since the message above. I’m beginning to wonder if the shipment was lost or damaged, and his way of dealing with it is to ghost me, but who knows? In any event, it seems fair I feel to put me in the picture, rather than leaving me hanging.

Both sellers and buyers read here, and it would be great to hear thoughts from each group before drawing a conclusion. A cordial resolution would be my first choice.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insights.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Retailer Ghosting Incident

#2 Post by Jason T » June 20th, 2019, 5:40 am

If you haven't already, I'd let him know that if he doesn't resolve the situation in the next week you will initiate a charge-back with your credit card company. And if I didn't hear anything or get the resolution I wanted, I would then initiate said charge-back.
J@son Tr@ughber

Karl K

#3 Post by Karl K » June 20th, 2019, 6:11 am

Will cc companies do charge back for purchases from last year?
K a z a k s

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by George Hejna » June 20th, 2019, 6:14 am

Why the 5 month wait from December to May to ship? Maybe he is busy or traveling or figured you weren't in a real rush. Now you want to ship in the summer?

George

Victor Hong

#5 Post by Victor Hong » June 20th, 2019, 6:17 am

If we are talking about the same retailer, my experience with returning an erroneously represented item was not fun.
WineHunter.

Richard Albert

#6 Post by Richard Albert » June 20th, 2019, 8:01 am

The third party shipper did not catch the UPS address? Rookie or careless error, it is partially their fault. Anybody in the shipping biz knows UPS and FedEx to not deliver to each other, nor to the USPS.

Did you have a working tracking number for that shipment to verify a package was actually sent? That info may prove important to get a credit card refund after 180 days from purchase;do not delay your credit card refund option.

Did you get email responses to your shipping questions?

It appears one or more asses are being covered here!
ITB

Ian Fitzsimmons

#7 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 20th, 2019, 8:51 am

Thanks for the responses.

Jason and Karl - I'm considering the charge-back route, but the transactions were executed long enough ago that it will not be an easy lift with my CC company.

George - not really relevant, but I am close enough that shipping in winter and summer in styro is not an issue, except in extreme conditions. Five month wait, because that's when we got around to it again after the first delay.

Victor, feel free to tell me about yours in a PM; I'll respect any request for confidentiality. Or refer me, if it's a past thread on the board.

Richard - no responses to either email or voice mail, since the message quoted. I kept messages with tracking number, invoices, etc.; everything is well-documented.

Thank you all again.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Doug Schulman » June 20th, 2019, 9:31 am

I would call my credit card company and explain the situation. At least you'll know if there's anything they can do.

John Kight

#9 Post by John Kight » June 20th, 2019, 10:12 am

Is the retailer in Pound Ridge, NY?

Jeff Leve

#10 Post by Jeff Leve » June 20th, 2019, 10:52 am

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 5:11 am
I’m having an uncomfortable shipping-delivery issue with a retailer and want to get the right perspective on it. In sum, after a shipping SNAFU, in which the shipment was inadvertently returned to its origin, the retailer at first indicated he would re-ship it, then, during the subsequent five weeks, hasn’t answered my calls or returned any messages.

Details:

The retailer is a known New York seller,
If you want thoughts or insights, why not name the retailer? I never understand peoples reticence over outting problem merchants. That naming will help you gain better results.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#11 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 20th, 2019, 11:03 am

Jeff Leve wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 10:52 am
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

Details:

If you want thoughts or insights, why not name the retailer? I never understand peoples reticence over outting problem merchants. That naming will help you gain better results.
Jeff, the wording of your question largely answers it. Why not? Because having a problem with a merchant does not necessarily mean that person is a "problem merchant."
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by AAgrawal » June 20th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 11:03 am
Jeff Leve wrote:
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

Details:

Jeff, the wording of your question largely answers it. Why not? Because having a problem with a merchant does not necessarily mean that person is a "problem merchant."
I think consumers are smart enough to tell if one person had a bad experience or if there's a pattern of bad experiences. But if no one posts about it, then all that information is hidden.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

Ian Fitzsimmons

#13 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 20th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

Details:

First, I'm on one side of the transaction, and might be overlooking something visible from another angle. I've read numerous posts by retailers from which I've learned things about their operations I would never have arrived at on my own.

Second, calling someone out publicly is basically retaliation and torches any remaining opportunity for civil resolution. I'm a fan of second chances.
Last edited by Ian Fitzsimmons on June 20th, 2019, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Leve

#14 Post by Jeff Leve » June 20th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

Details:

Which is the point. If this is an isolated example, others will let you know they’ve had positive experiences. If there a pattern of poor service, I’m certain those posters will chime in as well.

YLee

#15 Post by YLee » June 20th, 2019, 3:32 pm

I would agree on waiting and seeing how the merchant will resolve the issue. Hold back on the name of the shop to keep good relations. However, it's week 5 now and merchant has not reached out to the buyer. Buyer should not have to chase after his items. Name the shop so others with experience at this shop can chime in and potential buyers can decide on their own if to avoid or wait.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Sarah Kirschbaum

#16 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 20th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Jeff Leve wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 3:20 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:

Which is the point. If this is an isolated example, others will let you know they’ve had positive experiences. If there a pattern of poor service, I’m certain those posters will chime in as well.
I believe you believe that, but I find it a bit disingenuous, as was your original "I never understand people's reticence." Of course you understand it, you are smart and have an imagination. You just don't agree with it, which is certainly a legitimate position, one I can respect even without agreeing myself.

The evidence from many past such situations shows, though, that the naming of names ends up tarnishing the merchant's reputation, regardless of how many people chime in with positive stories. The negative is what gets remembered and repeated. Some merchants assuredly deserve it, others do not. The world, especially the internet, including this board sometimes, sadly, is like this - too often the crowd salivates at trashing others and lots of people want to know the names because they enjoy having nasty dirt on others. It isn't fair and measured, as your post says it should be, very often that I've seen, though I am sure there's a host of folks who would be fair as well as those who wouldn't. For my part, I respect Ian for choosing the approach he did.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Jeff Leve

#17 Post by Jeff Leve » June 20th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Sorry Sarah but we don’t agree on this. In fact, the outing of a merchants name is usually what gets the deserved results.

The recent issue of non delivery from a merchant of 2015 VCC was solved by the store being named in the thread.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#18 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 20th, 2019, 6:12 pm

It would be interesting to see the numbers on this question, Jeff; I've seen quite a few disputes settled without the naming of stores or individuals.

YLee

#19 Post by YLee » June 20th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I dont think theres only 1 way. We should consider the method of approach case by case.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Randy Bowman » June 20th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Just a little insight from a retailer: UPS and FedEx have been pressured by the various states to stop all shipping not following that state's laws. Hence many retailers are turning to third party shippers who aren't hamstrung by some of the states' laws. Our third party shipper has been served cease and desist notices from three states that have laws denying them legal shipping into that state, hence those residents can't buy from us.

There are some issues that have impact when using a third party shipper. We don't have a fair trade agreement between states and there are those people who want to control sales using tactics to ensure their existence, but not an out of state retailer. There may some frustration on how to get the wine to you if the resources for shipping have been reduced or eliminated.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#21 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 21st, 2019, 9:08 am

Randy, FWIW I get this. What creates difficulty for me is the lack of communication.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#22 Post by c fu » June 21st, 2019, 9:18 am

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 6:12 pm
It would be interesting to see the numbers on this question, Jeff; I've seen quite a few disputes settled without the naming of stores or individuals.
often you see resolution from retailers being named cause friends of the retailer will see the outing and contact the retailer directly. It usually gets a quick response after that.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 21st, 2019, 9:54 am

The lack of communication is unacceptable.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Ian Fitzsimmons

#24 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 22nd, 2019, 7:05 am

Not to feed a fed horse, so to speak, but I'd be very interested in where retailers think the responsibility lies for the mis-shipment described in in the initial post. Was it on me to review the shipping info; was it the seller's responsibility? A shared responsibility?

I'm not trying to start a debate, but I'd like to be able to see this transaction fairly from both sides. How do the pros size this up?

Advance thanks to anyone who chimes in on this.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » June 22nd, 2019, 7:20 am

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 7:05 am
Not to feed a fed horse, so to speak, but I'd be very interested in where retailers think the responsibility lies for the mis-shipment described in in the initial post. Was it on me to review the shipping info; was it the seller's responsibility? A shared responsibility?

I'm not trying to start a debate, but I'd like to be able to see this transaction fairly from both sides. How do the pros size this up?

I once had a fedex shipment that was rerouted from a depot when the UPS store would have taken delivery. Other fedex shipments had always been delivered.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#26 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 22nd, 2019, 7:31 am

Thanks Tom. I think we can all agree to beat up on the UPS office for being ungracious.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#27 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 22nd, 2019, 7:49 am

Unless, of course, there's a UPS rep. lurking among us. [wow.gif]

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Doug Schulman » June 22nd, 2019, 9:13 am

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

I put that solely on the retailer. It wouldn't have been a big deal, in my mind, if they had been in touch about how to resolve the situation. As a retailer, I think the seller's lack of communication for as long as it has been is inexcusable.

JG Salazar

#29 Post by JG Salazar » June 22nd, 2019, 10:05 am

The lack of comms is a huge problem, for me. I'd go nuts if someone on our team left a customer dangling without intel in a situation like this.
Jesse Salazar ITB - USQ

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Alan Rath » June 22nd, 2019, 10:14 am

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:
In the past, the seller had shipped by UPS, and my address of record with him was a local UPS transshipment center, where I can pick up and sign for packages. Since my last order with him, however, the retailer had changed to a third-party shipper. Unbeknownst to me, the third-party company morphs into Fedex once the package enters my state, and the UPS address would not accept the Fedex package, so it was returned to the shipment center in NY.
Not to sidetrack this discussion, but does no one else see this as a problem? Are UPS and Fedex so insecure that they are worried their employees might go berserk if they saw a package from their competitor in their facility? A little perturbing.

It's also curious that Fedex didn't just hold the package at their nearest hub and notify you, but that's a different issue.

Anyway, hope it all gets resolved, this just caught my eye.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by larry schaffer » June 22nd, 2019, 10:50 am

When a third party shipper is used, especially with temperature controlled trucking, the final delivery company used is oftentimes determined by specificities of different states.

Switching companies can lead to those random changes - have had it happen.

And yes, Alan, these companies can be pretty pretty. . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Jim Brennan

#32 Post by Jim Brennan » June 22nd, 2019, 11:15 am

Jeff Leve wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 3:20 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:

Funny as hell coming from one of the people who aggressively defended PC whenever anyone raised questions about their business practices.

Jonathan Loesberg

#33 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » June 22nd, 2019, 11:40 am

Ian,

Given the time elapsed, I would email once more, threatening to contact your credit card to dispute the charge , however far back it is. If he doesn't answer in a couple of days (tell him that's how long you'll wait), I would call your credit card, tell him you'd done so, and proceed to out him here. I share your impulse to try to solve things amicably, but the issue is that the retailer isn't contacting you and isn't allowing an amicable solution.

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Chuck Miller » June 22nd, 2019, 1:16 pm

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

Absent specific instructions from you (i.e. 'always ship UPS' or 'DO NOT ship FedX') I don't know how a retailer is supposed to know about any specific arrangements on the delivery end. Stuff happens, I don't see it as anyone's responsibility, but more like an unforeseen wrinkle in the process. To me, shipping companies are (or at least should be) rather fungible.
Chuck Miller

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Jason T » June 22nd, 2019, 2:45 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 1:16 pm
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

Absent specific instructions from you (i.e. 'always ship UPS' or 'DO NOT ship FedX') I don't know how a retailer is supposed to know about any specific arrangements on the delivery end. Stuff happens, I don't see it as anyone's responsibility, but more like an unforeseen wrinkle in the process. To me, shipping companies are (or at least should be) rather fungible.
Agreed Chuck. But you know what’s better is shipping ADDRESSES being fungible. That the UPS/FedExs of the world won’t deliver to each other is beyond stupid. They got my money to do the delivery; what more do they need?
Last edited by Jason T on June 22nd, 2019, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J@son Tr@ughber

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Howard Cooper » June 22nd, 2019, 2:47 pm

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 3:08 pm
Jeff Leve wrote:
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

Details:

First, I'm on one side of the transaction, and might be overlooking something visible from another angle. I've read numerous posts by retailers from which I've learned things about their operations I would never have arrived at on my own.

Second, calling someone out publicly is basically retaliation and torches any remaining opportunity for civil resolution. I'm a fan of second chances.
I agree on not calling out the retailer yet. But, if this does not work out, calling out the retailer is a warning to the rest of us and not just retaliation. How would you feel if 10 other board members get torched by the same retailer when you could have avoided it.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Alan Rath » June 22nd, 2019, 3:06 pm

Jason T wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 2:45 pm
But you know what’s better is shipping ADDRESSES being fungible. That the UPS/FedExs of the world won’t deliver to each other is beyond stupid. They got my money to do the delivery; what more do they need?
This. They need a little class, and to remember they serve their customer, not themselves.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#38 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 22nd, 2019, 3:17 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 1:16 pm
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:

This is where my instinct takes me, as well; I'd expected to discuss sharing the re-ship costs with him when he got in touch.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#39 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 22nd, 2019, 3:23 pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 11:40 am
Ian,

Given the time elapsed, I would email once more, threatening to contact your credit card to dispute the charge , however far back it is. If he doesn't answer in a couple of days (tell him that's how long you'll wait), I would call your credit card, tell him you'd done so, and proceed to out him here. I share your impulse to try to solve things amicably, but the issue is that the retailer isn't contacting you and isn't allowing an amicable solution.
Thanks, Jonathan; a refund is better than nothing, of course, but my preference would be to complete the original deal, which represents some kind of a closed contract, I think - payment was made and accepted. I ordered wines I want in my cellar, and can't replace them now at the cost I paid for them - one of them is completely unavailable now, as far as I can see. I appreciate your suggestion.

Jonathan Loesberg

#40 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » June 22nd, 2019, 3:39 pm

I'd prefer the wine if I were in your situation too. But if the retailer won't respond to you, your first aim has to be to force a response and your second to be to plan what to do if you don't get one.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#41 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » June 22nd, 2019, 4:41 pm

Yes, you're right.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 22nd, 2019, 5:38 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 3:06 pm
Jason T wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 2:45 pm
But you know what’s better is shipping ADDRESSES being fungible. That the UPS/FedExs of the world won’t deliver to each other is beyond stupid. They got my money to do the delivery; what more do they need?
This. They need a little class, and to remember they serve their customer, not themselves.
In reality they serve the shareholders.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Alan Rath » June 22nd, 2019, 6:02 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 5:38 pm
In reality they serve the shareholders.
[rofl.gif]

I puke every time I hear a CEO say that. It's the problem with most american business: they think their shareholders are the most important thing. If it's not 1) customers, 2) employees, 3) shareholders, something is wrong. But I get that I'm pissing into the wind with this opinion...

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 22nd, 2019, 6:30 pm

I’m not saying it’s objectively good. It’s just reality.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Alan Rath » June 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm

Well, if Ian has any mutual fund holdings in, say, a retirement account, he is probably a shareholder of both UPS and Fedex. So he's been let down both as a customer and a shareholder [wow.gif]

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Craig G » June 23rd, 2019, 7:20 am

Alan Rath wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm
Well, if Ian has any mutual fund holdings in, say, a retirement account, he is probably a shareholder of both UPS and Fedex. So he's been let down both as a customer and a shareholder [wow.gif]
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Gary York

#47 Post by Gary York » June 23rd, 2019, 7:40 am

You have made every effort to complete the transaction. Your best bet at this point is to get your money back.
ITB

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 23rd, 2019, 8:02 am

Jason said:
That the UPS/FedExs of the world won’t deliver to each other is beyond stupid. They got my money to do the delivery; what more do they need?
We represented one of these companies because its prior firm had mistakenly delivered a single package to Company A by overnight delivery using Company B. Obviously an oversight by a clerical employee, not a conscious business decision, but no matter. The prior firm was immediately fired and lost a seven figure representation that had been years in the making. So, the idea that one won't deliver to the other is not surprising to me in the slightest.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Alan Rath » June 23rd, 2019, 8:23 am

Craig G wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 7:20 am
Alan Rath wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
They would incur my wrath if this happened to me.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Doug Schulman » June 23rd, 2019, 9:44 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 8:02 am
Jason said:
That the UPS/FedExs of the world won’t deliver to each other is beyond stupid. They got my money to do the delivery; what more do they need?
We represented one of these companies because its prior firm had mistakenly delivered a single package to Company A by overnight delivery using Company B. Obviously an oversight by a clerical employee, not a conscious business decision, but no matter. The prior firm was immediately fired and lost a seven figure representation that had been years in the making. So, the idea that one won't deliver to the other is not surprising to me in the slightest.
Wow. That is ridiculous.

Return to “Wine Talk”