Broken cork on champagne bottle

I was trying to open a new bottle of champagne this evening, and during the process, the cork broke off, leaving a piece lodged in the neck of the bottle. Given the huge pressure, I have placed it outside for the time being but was hoping to get some advice on how to rectify the situation.

I don’t have a Sabre or any sabering experience, and I don’t have a friend who I can ask to open it with a corkscrew…

You don´t have a cork screw yourself?

You could probably push it down a fraction. That might loosen it enough to overcome the static friction and let it blow out. Just use a towel to cover it while you do it.

This reminds me of a youtube video I watched on replacing the steering column in my Ford: “Have your Brother in Law disengage the airbag before proceeding”.

I have seen this done, but won’t try it myself.

1. Put the cage back on. Tight. 6 half turns of the wire!

2. Ice bath for 2 hours.

3. Run hot water over the neck of the bottle. The cork will start to come out but the cage will stop it so water doesn’t get in the bottle.

4. Stand up the bottle and let it rest in the ice bath again.

5. Use a channel lock to grip the now extended cork and gently remove cork.

No corkscrew! Don’t force anything into the cork!

You forgot the part where the brother-in-law executes steps 3-5.

Why no corkscrew? Seems The most obvious thing to try, just keep your face away, maybe cover your hand with a towel. It’s not like this is an M-80, it isn’t going to blow your hand off, so what am I missing?

Just use a cork screw. I’ve done it dozens of times.

It was him!

On the plus side, he saved a 13 dollar bottle of Domaine Chandon. champagne.gif

That’s interesting! I’ve only faced this dilemma one time, but feared doing that. Maybe I was being too trepidatious.

I have done it with a corkscrew a few times and it was pretty easy. I have fairly big strong hands but I think anyone could do it.

If you are nervous drape a towel over the inserted cork screw, then grip the towel near the neck leaving some slack. Grab the towel and the screw and rock or twist it out using the towel as a safety harness. You could also use another towel to grip the fat part of the bottle.

Same here on a 6L bottle of Billecart. Was a doozie. Had to be SUPER careful.

I’d use eye protection but with that in place wouldn’t hesitate to use a corkscrew.

Sabre. Learn now. It’s easy, and fun.

Another vote for a corkscrew. I’ve found it beneficial to go with a rabbit/lever style opener if you can (allows you to keep your face as far away from the bottle as possible while opening)

Find a friend.

I keep flinching because I misread the thread title.

i find how to get a broken cork out of a champagne bottle on google and this thread is on the top with this answer. So maybe No corkscrew is better champagne.gif