Top US Syrahs

What are your top 5 Syrahs, blends ok if Syrah is dominant

For me based on actual tasting only, not reputation

Chris Tynan
Alban Reva
Saxum Bone Rock
Bedrock Exposition
Denner

Haven’t tasted that many but like Failla Hudson very much. So much so that we import a small amount into Australia.

Reynvaan
Rhys
Ramey
Tor
Alban

For QPR, I like Rotie Cellars.

Halcon
Rhys
Peay
Copain
Lagier Meredith

Chris Tynan
Lilian
K Vintners (take your pick for favorite)
Keever (probably one of the best ever and they no longer make it)
Tensly Colson Canyon

Gramercy
Pax
Cayuse

In no particilar order

Halcon Alturas
Mryiad Halcon
Lagier Meredith
Myriad/Quivet Las Madres
Bedrock Hudson T n S

Add: Drew. If you’ve not had any of its three — try to find. (The six or so VD Pinot
Noirs are excellent as well.)

No love for Qupe?? Just drank a 2005 Bien Nacido…up there with the best of France.
Where is Tom Hill when you need him??

Saxum Bone Rock
SQN
Older Lillian
Herman Story
Carlisle

Alan R is on my wave length, but I will add Arcadian.

Ones I enjoy drinking…

Gramercy
SQN
Lagier Meredith
K Vintners
Betz

Gotta throw in:

Jaffurs
Ojai

More to follow . . .

Any list without Peay is incomplete

This is a pretty good list for me, though i’ve never been super impressed by Peay. For pure drink-it-now pleasure my favorite was a 2009 Copain Les Voisins - I liked it better than their higher end SVDs. I haven’t had a lot of L-M but Alan supplied one for a tasting and it was great.

I also like Ridge and Dehlinger, but they are farther away from my archetype of Syrah.

Anyone for Tablas Creek? I think I must have tasted a Syrah but can’t recall.

Incomplete*, but:
Paul Lato
Bevan
Cayuse
Bedrock
Tie for 5th; [cheers.gif]
Grand Reve/Force Majeur
Lillian
Tor
Betz

*I did enjoy the one bottle of 2007 Peay Les Titans I consumed, but not enough experience with Peay Syrah to break the Top 5 (I do love their Pinot though).

CT indicates 722 bottles of US Syrah consumed from 87 producers. That surprised me, but I do love me some Syrah.

Cheers,

Steve

Lucia
Lagier Meredith
Larner
K Vintners
Booker

+1 on the Real Alan. Big fan of Peay Les Titans among others. Generally prefer the cool climate versions to the overipe overly hot Saxums of the world. Nice to see them get some props here. Drinking at their vineyard with Nick is one of my favorite winery memories times two

Good call. Predates most of those listed. Always a go-to and the Central Coast was for years one of the best buys out there. Haven’t had them since the winery changed hands a few times though.

A few of the more savory and less jammy types - Wilde Farm Syrah “Halcon Vineyard”, Baker Lane, Wind Gap, Failla, Biggio Hamina Deux Vert Vineyard (no longer available) and surprisingly Martinelli Terra Felice and Meyer Family Yorkville, neither of which are what I would have expected.

Carlisle
Cayuse
K