Top US Syrahs

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Joel Pulver
Posts: 167
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 5:35 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Top US Syrahs

#101 Post by Joel Pulver » June 23rd, 2019, 6:22 pm

Cayuse
Reynvann
Corliss
Sine Que Non
Carlisle

User avatar
JohnP
Posts: 495
Joined: August 14th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#102 Post by JohnP » June 23rd, 2019, 8:56 pm

While many in this thread are incredible, no one has mentioned the diamond in the rough out of the Sierra Foothills of Placer County, CA

Pruett Championship Cuvee

One of the purest Syrah I've tried in California to date. Not cheap at 125, but worth its weight.
John Pollard

User avatar
H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2023
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:19 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#103 Post by H Wallace Jr » June 24th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Enfield Wine Co.
Arnot-Roberts
Pax
ESJ
Piedrassi
[worship.gif] [worship.gif] La Clarine Farm Sumu Caw syrah. Hank has this site so dialed in. If you like nervy, aromatic, savory syrah, the 2016 is $30 incredibly well spent.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1876
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Top US Syrahs

#104 Post by Jud Reis » June 24th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 6:34 am
Edmunds St. John
Rhys
Arcadian
Scherrer

I would have said Qupe and Copain but with both winemakers gone...
Perfect list - I am not a huge new world Syrah fan, and all 4 of these producers consistently make age worthy syrahs that regularly wow me.

User avatar
Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 991
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: Top Syrahs

#105 Post by Albert R » June 24th, 2019, 5:42 pm

A lot of great suggestions. We recently tasted with Paul and Jackie and their Halcon Alturas was outstanding!
@. Re-go

User avatar
Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1364
Joined: November 11th, 2013, 11:16 am
Location: El Paso

Re: Top US Syrahs

#106 Post by Jeremy C » June 24th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Drinking a 2006 Ridge Lytton Estate tonight that is quite yummy.
Cuth.bert.son

Larry Weitzner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13
Joined: December 26th, 2012, 10:29 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#107 Post by Larry Weitzner » June 25th, 2019, 1:08 am

Donelan
SQN
Carlisle
Betz
Thackrey

User avatar
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Top US Syrahs

#108 Post by JDavisRoby » June 25th, 2019, 5:48 am

H Wallace Jr wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 4:41 pm
Enfield Wine Co.
Arnot-Roberts
Pax
ESJ
Piedrassi
[worship.gif] [worship.gif] La Clarine Farm Sumu Caw syrah. Hank has this site so dialed in. If you like nervy, aromatic, savory syrah, the 2016 is $30 incredibly well spent.
Is La Clarine still using glass closures?
Joshu@

James Zadvorny
Posts: 41
Joined: November 13th, 2013, 11:20 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#109 Post by James Zadvorny » June 25th, 2019, 8:42 am

I drink very little US syrah, but have found
Betz (although all my holdings are from the time Bob was winemaker or consulting) to be consistently excellent.

Specific shout out to 2011 Saxum Heart Stone. A cooler vintage, viewed as “weak” produced a beautiful wine, no alcohol heat, complex, subtle etc. Would like others’ views on how that vintage has aged re: other producers.

User avatar
H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2023
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:19 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#110 Post by H Wallace Jr » June 25th, 2019, 9:25 am

JDavisRoby wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 5:48 am
H Wallace Jr wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 4:41 pm
Enfield Wine Co.
Arnot-Roberts
Pax
ESJ
Piedrassi
[worship.gif] [worship.gif] La Clarine Farm Sumu Caw syrah. Hank has this site so dialed in. If you like nervy, aromatic, savory syrah, the 2016 is $30 incredibly well spent.
Is La Clarine still using glass closures?
Not for several years.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

User avatar
Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 683
Joined: August 20th, 2009, 10:25 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#111 Post by Gray G » June 25th, 2019, 9:38 am

[winner.gif] had a great Saxum Booker Vineyards and a K Vinters Cattle King both 2015 this weekend [wink.gif]
my friends call me Gary, so much time, so little wine, Albanista, K Vinters rocks! MCK, Cattle King, love Gri3v3 Family wines Double Eagle baby! flavors please, non-religious freedom :) egalitarian, non-socialist, non-ITB, paid subscriber of online chat, Going Beserk everyday! "life's not black and white but black and grey"- Graham Greene

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#112 Post by Alan Eden » June 25th, 2019, 10:34 am

James Zadvorny wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 8:42 am
I drink very little US syrah, but have found
Betz (although all my holdings are from the time Bob was winemaker or consulting) to be consistently excellent.

Specific shout out to 2011 Saxum Heart Stone. A cooler vintage, viewed as “weak” produced a beautiful wine, no alcohol heat, complex, subtle etc. Would like others’ views on how that vintage has aged re: other producers.
11 is the most underrated vintage i can think of. It was universally knocked for being sub par and weak but almost every bottle i've had from that year has been excellent and one of my favourites from that producer
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Darren Delmore
Posts: 72
Joined: February 23rd, 2012, 11:15 am
Location: Templeton, California

Re: Yup....

#113 Post by Darren Delmore » June 26th, 2019, 10:12 am

TomHill wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 6:29 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 4:02 am
GregT wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 12:53 am

As for Alban & SQN.....those are huge wines that wow you w/ their power & extract. But they just never seem to develop the coplexity & nuance
that a Qupe or an EdStJohn routinely do.
I tend to like very cold-climate Syrahs: StoloFamily, Delmore, Peay, McLauren, Qupe, Lagier-Meredith, etc.
But, then, what do I know?? I've only followed Calif Syrah from the very start...the Phelps '73!! [snort.gif]
Tom
Thanks for the mention Mr. Hill. champagne.gif

Syrah was one of my first loves in wine. Used to collect those Novy SLH Syrahs, Foxen, a little Tensley Colson Canyon, and got blown away by the Kenneth Crawford Evans Ranch SRH while it lasted. These days I tend to veer toward even more cool climate wines like Tom. That said, the Drew Syrahs are really cool. Model Farm 2014 Sonoma Coast was a standout at Falltacular last year. Drank a Melville 2012 High Density over the past two nights that was youthful and delicious. Sinor-Lavallee Bassi Ranch Syrah from Avila Valley is California Crozes. Nicole at Stolo is making some excellent wine and that vineyard ripened on November 14th last harvest! So many cool pockets of it along the California coast, yet restaurant wine buyers always tell me nobody orders Syrah off lists?
ITB

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7041
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#114 Post by Michael Martin » June 26th, 2019, 12:17 pm

James Zadvorny wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 8:42 am
I drink very little US syrah, but have found
Betz (although all my holdings are from the time Bob was winemaker or consulting) to be consistently excellent.

Specific shout out to 2011 Saxum Heart Stone. A cooler vintage, viewed as “weak” produced a beautiful wine, no alcohol heat, complex, subtle etc. Would like others’ views on how that vintage has aged re: other producers.
Tough to judge the vintage based on Heart Stone since its a blend of 58% Syrah, 37% Grenache with the balance Mourvedre. It may be more about the blend than the vintage.

Pat K
Posts: 184
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 10:46 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#115 Post by Pat K » June 26th, 2019, 2:42 pm

I, too, am a big fan of Delmore Syrah, and Pinot Noir for that matter. No one orders Syrah from a list? I remember years ago we were in a restaurant in Mendocino. Believe it was the Standford Inn. We were ordering for dinner and wanted just a glass each of red. The server asked if we liked Syrah. Sure! So she poured a bottle that had apparently ended up by the glass but not on the BTG list. It was wonderful; whether the setting, the food pairing, whatever. I asked what the wine was. She said "Rehnquist", like the judge. My error was I didn't ask to see the bottle. It was a Jeff Runquist. This took me a while to discover, but we have had a few of his wines since then and they don't disappoint. Not at the level of Delmore, but still good.

[cheers.gif]

User avatar
John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2392
Joined: January 14th, 2010, 9:54 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Top US Syrahs

#116 Post by John Glas » June 26th, 2019, 3:32 pm

2016 Saviah Cellars Syrah The Stones Speak Walla Walla Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (6/19/2019)
Unbelievable wine. The best wine I tasted on my Washington State trip. For the money not many better Syrah wines in the world for under $50. Roasted meats, white pepper, gravel, stone, blueberries and earth. Medium to long finish. Balanced and amzing complexity. Multilayered finish. Drink now to 2028. (95 points)
Anything from the Rocks District. Making some amazing Syrah wines without the big price tag.

markjchambers
Posts: 282
Joined: April 19th, 2019, 6:55 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#117 Post by markjchambers » June 26th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Alban Reva - 1998 was my first taste of what Cali syrah could be. Bought it off the shelf in Ohio for $38. Love Saxum GSM blends in including those that are heavily syrah (Booker). Booker Fracture is great. Carlisle is a great value and under appreciated. I'm a long time fan of Cayuse but sometimes the funk overwhelms everything else. I recently had a '12 Cailloux that never evolved beyond motor oil - very disappointing. I felt the same way about every 2013 Reynvaan I tried, but the 14s seems to be a lot better.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 825
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Top US Syrahs

#118 Post by Ron Slye » June 26th, 2019, 4:08 pm

markjchambers wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 4:02 pm
Alban Reva - 1998 was my first taste of what Cali syrah could be. Bought it off the shelf in Ohio for $38. Love Saxum GSM blends in including those that are heavily syrah (Booker). Booker Fracture is great. Carlisle is a great value and under appreciated. I'm a long time fan of Cayuse but sometimes the funk overwhelms everything else. I recently had a '12 Cailloux that never evolved beyond motor oil - very disappointing. I felt the same way about every 2013 Reynvaan I tried, but the 14s seems to be a lot better.
A quick note on Cayuse -- my experience has been with about ten years or so on them the funk integrates nicely into the rest of the flavors. I have not touched anything later than 09 at the moment I think.

Ryan A
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 232
Joined: June 26th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#119 Post by Ryan A » June 28th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Colgin Syrah
Eisele Vineyards Syrah (former Araujo)
Keplinger (excellent QPR)
SQN
Bevan Cellars when he makes it
Ryan.Ansell

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20985
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Top US Syrahs

#120 Post by Brian Tuite » June 29th, 2019, 6:37 am

Alan Eden wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 8:36 pm
Gray G wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 4:46 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 10:26 pm
Im surprised Alban is getting so much love, its one of my favourite wines but i thought it was considered to "big" for most people
the loudest voices aren't necessarily indicative of the majority or anything else FTM

cheers
Absolutely, the responses mean absolutely nothing. Bit like your comment
If responses mean nothing why ask the question in the first place?
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#121 Post by Alan Eden » June 29th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Aimed at the guy who just likes to be a dick, not at the whole post
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 683
Joined: August 20th, 2009, 10:25 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#122 Post by Gray G » June 29th, 2019, 2:36 pm

a few of my golfer buddies loved the Alban Patrina 2015 over the last couple dinners :) :)
my friends call me Gary, so much time, so little wine, Albanista, K Vinters rocks! MCK, Cattle King, love Gri3v3 Family wines Double Eagle baby! flavors please, non-religious freedom :) egalitarian, non-socialist, non-ITB, paid subscriber of online chat, Going Beserk everyday! "life's not black and white but black and grey"- Graham Greene

Mike Curran
Posts: 17
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 9:35 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#123 Post by Mike Curran » July 4th, 2019, 5:14 am

S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 7:02 am
I buy and enjoy Sandlands, Arno-Roberts, Rhys, Bedrock, Anthill Farms and Carlisle syrahs...but I admit my favorite domestic Syrah based wines are the cab/syrah blends from K Vintners and L'Aventure.
Plus one on the Anthill. Lots of good ones in these lists. I like Samsara Turner quite a bit. Hoping the new owners keep the ball rolling.

J. Rock
Posts: 932
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Top US Syrahs

#124 Post by J. Rock » July 4th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Has anyone had Torrin Akasha? I just visited their winery and thought all of their wines were fantastic, but we were unable to get any Akasha. I thought their Syrah driven GSM (Banshee) was excellent.
J o r d a n

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8482
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#125 Post by larry schaffer » July 4th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Mike Curran wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 5:14 am
S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 7:02 am
I buy and enjoy Sandlands, Arno-Roberts, Rhys, Bedrock, Anthill Farms and Carlisle syrahs...but I admit my favorite domestic Syrah based wines are the cab/syrah blends from K Vintners and L'Aventure.
Plus one on the Anthill. Lots of good ones in these lists. I like Samsara Turner quite a bit. Hoping the new owners keep the ball rolling.
Mike,

The new owners of Samsara are wonderful folks - Dave and Joan. They've brought in a wonderful winemaker - Matt Brady, formerly of Jaffurs - and are certainly committed to maintaining the quality of what Chad started, but expanding into a few other varieties as well. Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet against them.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

User avatar
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10645
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#126 Post by dcornutt » July 4th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Rhys
Arcadian
Saxum
Alban
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3083
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#127 Post by MitchTallan » July 5th, 2019, 3:08 pm

IMHO, the saying "there are no great old wines, just great bottles of old wine" applies equally to Syrah.
To a lesser extent, Tom Hill's saying about pet that you "need to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince(ss) applies too.
When a Syrah misses the mark, it is incredibly boring.
But when Syrah hits the bullseye, ahhhh.
Maybe it is just me.
I can find something to like in a less than stellar Oregon pinot, Burg, cab, Bordeaux, zin, pet, Grenache., chard, chennin, riesling, etc.
I've got a boatload of syrah in my cellar dating back to '96 from a lot of major players. I literally have hundred of bottles of Alban. Unopened dark red case boxes.
Right now I am sipping on a '12 Jaffurs Verna's. It hits the mark.
So fwiw, I would never try to name five wineries.

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 236
Joined: March 31st, 2018, 6:19 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#128 Post by C. Keller » July 5th, 2019, 4:24 pm

J. Rock wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 12:54 pm
Has anyone had Torrin Akasha? I just visited their winery and thought all of their wines were fantastic, but we were unable to get any Akasha. I thought their Syrah driven GSM (Banshee) was excellent.
+1. I've heard a lot about the Akasha but haven't had any Torrin. Would love to know.
Chris

Bill Gibbs
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 592
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm
Location: Moorpark / Paso Robles, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#129 Post by Bill Gibbs » July 5th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Which Akasha are you guys referring to?
The 100 pt 2015?
Or the 100 pt 2010? (Jeb Dunnuck scores)
I like to think I have a few of each in the cellar somewhere. Excellent Syrahs.

Bill Gibbs
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 592
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm
Location: Moorpark / Paso Robles, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#130 Post by Bill Gibbs » July 5th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Specific shout out to 2011 Saxum Heart Stone. A cooler vintage, viewed as “weak” produced a beautiful wine, no alcohol heat, complex, subtle etc. Would like others’ views on how that vintage has aged re: other producers.
Thanks for the kind words, you inspired me to dig out a 2011, and I have to agree. An excellent Saxum!

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8482
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#131 Post by larry schaffer » July 5th, 2019, 5:43 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 3:08 pm
IMHO, the saying "there are no great old wines, just great bottles of old wine" applies equally to Syrah.
To a lesser extent, Tom Hill's saying about pet that you "need to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince(ss) applies too.
When a Syrah misses the mark, it is incredibly boring.
But when Syrah hits the bullseye, ahhhh.
Maybe it is just me.
I can find something to like in a less than stellar Oregon pinot, Burg, cab, Bordeaux, zin, pet, Grenache., chard, chennin, riesling, etc.
I've got a boatload of syrah in my cellar dating back to '96 from a lot of major players. I literally have hundred of bottles of Alban. Unopened dark red case boxes.
Right now I am sipping on a '12 Jaffurs Verna's. It hits the mark.
So fwiw, I would never try to name five wineries.
Such great points, my friend. And if you were to ask this question 5 years ago, the answers would most likely be different - as they will, 5 years from now . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7041
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#132 Post by Michael Martin » July 5th, 2019, 5:49 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 3:08 pm
IMHO, the saying "there are no great old wines, just great bottles of old wine" applies equally to Syrah.
To a lesser extent, Tom Hill's saying about pet that you "need to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince(ss) applies too.
When a Syrah misses the mark, it is incredibly boring.
But when Syrah hits the bullseye, ahhhh.
Maybe it is just me.
I can find something to like in a less than stellar Oregon pinot, Burg, cab, Bordeaux, zin, pet, Grenache., chard, chennin, riesling, etc.
I've got a boatload of syrah in my cellar dating back to '96 from a lot of major players. I literally have hundred of bottles of Alban. Unopened dark red case boxes.
Right now I am sipping on a '12 Jaffurs Verna's. It hits the mark.
So fwiw, I would never try to name five wineries.
Enjoy that ‘12. It’s the end of a great run for Jaffurs’ Verna’s. The ‘08 Verna’s is still one of my top wines ever.

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8482
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#133 Post by larry schaffer » July 5th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Michael and Mitch,

The vineyard is now called the Sokrian Vineyard. I believe Coastal is still farming it and I know that at one time, Morgan Clendenon and Drake Whitcraft were helping to produce 'Estate' wines for the new owners, who continued to sell fruit to others. No idea whether Jaffurs or Samsara or anyone who used to get syrah from there still is, but the pedigree of the site is pretty good (and it's neighbor vineyard across the street is White Hawk) . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7041
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#134 Post by Michael Martin » July 5th, 2019, 6:36 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 6:17 pm
Michael and Mitch,

The vineyard is now called the Sokrian Vineyard. I believe Coastal is still farming it and I know that at one time, Morgan Clendenon and Drake Whitcraft were helping to produce 'Estate' wines for the new owners, who continued to sell fruit to others. No idea whether Jaffurs or Samsara or anyone who used to get syrah from there still is, but the pedigree of the site is pretty good (and it's neighbor vineyard across the street is White Hawk) . . .

Cheers.
Good info Larry.

mattbillet
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 364
Joined: June 15th, 2009, 6:55 am

Re: Top US Syrahs

#135 Post by mattbillet » July 7th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Saxum, Bevan, Myriad, Ramey, Torrin with Bedrock and Carlisle being my plus ones because I truly am passionate about the field blends and single vineyard source swapping they get involved with. I love seeing what various winemakers can do with grapes from adjacent rows in the same vineyards. I truly do enjoy old world syrah/Rhone wines from Hermitage to CNdP. But, I can't myself embrace the notion of Old World superiority! I have older CA wines that certainly compete, and I also have some really old school Australian Rhone varietal wines that are competitive as well.

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 916
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Top US Syrahs

#136 Post by Adam Frisch » August 4th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Couple of wine business friends were falling over themselves praising Paul Lato's Pinot Noir. To me, it didn't hit the spot (I'd rather drink King Estates for a third of the price all night long). But then they opened the Paul Lato Syrah, and that did impress me. Wonderful.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

S. Rash
Posts: 217
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:30 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Top US Syrahs

#137 Post by S. Rash » August 5th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Alban Reva
K Powerline Syrah
Herman Story Nuts and Bolts
Alta Colina Toasted Slope
Tensley Colton Canyon
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

S. Rash
Posts: 217
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:30 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Top US Syrahs

#138 Post by S. Rash » August 5th, 2019, 6:50 pm

H Wallace Jr wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 4:41 pm
Enfield Wine Co.
Arnot-Roberts
Pax
ESJ
Piedrassi
[worship.gif] [worship.gif] La Clarine Farm Sumu Caw syrah. Hank has this site so dialed in. If you like nervy, aromatic, savory syrah, the 2016 is $30 incredibly well spent.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to give La Clarine a try.
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

S. Rash
Posts: 217
Joined: November 24th, 2018, 6:30 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Top US Syrahs

#139 Post by S. Rash » August 5th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Chris Tynan
Lilian
K Vintners (take your pick for favorite)
Keever (probably one of the best ever and they no longer make it)
Tensly Colson Canyon
+1 on K Vintners and Tensley Colton Canyon
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

J. Rock
Posts: 932
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Top US Syrahs

#140 Post by J. Rock » August 5th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Has anyone had the chance to taste the 2016 Torrin Akasha, or has anyone heard anything about it?
J o r d a n

Bill Gibbs
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 592
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm
Location: Moorpark / Paso Robles, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#141 Post by Bill Gibbs » August 5th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Jeb Dunnuck 97-100/. I'd say he liked it.

J. Rock
Posts: 932
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Top US Syrahs

#142 Post by J. Rock » August 6th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Thank you, Bill! I'm very excited to pick up the Fall release.
J o r d a n

User avatar
Colin Haggerty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 232
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Top US Syrahs

#143 Post by Colin Haggerty » August 6th, 2019, 10:18 pm

You have all mentioned some incredible producers, but if I was on a game show, I would win with a late answer...Dehlinger! Their Syrahs age like like any great bottling from the Northern Rhone (albeit with more up-front fruit). Those familiar with this producer will back me up.

Colin [cheers.gif]

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16396
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Top US Syrahs

#144 Post by Craig G » August 6th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Colin Haggerty wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 10:18 pm
You have all mentioned some incredible producers, but if I was on a game show, I would win with a late answer...Dehlinger! Their Syrahs age like like any great bottling from the Northern Rhone (albeit with more up-front fruit). Those familiar with this producer will back me up.
I won’t. I like Dehlinger and I have a lot of it, but late 90’s Dehlinger has not aged anything like late 90’s Chave. It still drinks very well and the jury is out on where it will go, but I’ve seen no indication that it will become great in the way some N. Rhônes can.

The best aged CA Syrah I’ve had is the 1991 Havens. It really did show some signs of transformation that I haven’t seen in other CA Syrahs, so I still have hope for some of the younger wines. But still nowhere close to 1991 Chave in quality.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Colin Haggerty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 232
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Top US Syrahs

#145 Post by Colin Haggerty » August 7th, 2019, 11:36 am

Craig-

I stand corrected. There is no comparison with the likes of Chave or other legendary Northern Rhone producers. I got a little bit carried away in my enthusiasm for Dehlinger. That said, Dehlinger's Syrahs do tend to age gracefully and are a beautiful New World expression of the grape.

Colin [cheers.gif]

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8482
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: Top US Syrahs

#146 Post by larry schaffer » August 7th, 2019, 11:42 am

Adam Frisch wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 3:19 pm
Couple of wine business friends were falling over themselves praising Paul Lato's Pinot Noir. To me, it didn't hit the spot (I'd rather drink King Estates for a third of the price all night long). But then they opened the Paul Lato Syrah, and that did impress me. Wonderful.
Adam,

Which Paul Lato syrah was opened? He makes a number of them - Cinematique from the Larner Vineyard, a Bien Nacido Vineyard one, and then at least one more.

I have found them beautifully elegant - but not sure about long term aging potential on them versus other producers. That is NOT to say that they are not wonderful wines - but the challenge for me with domestic syrahs comes down to QPR.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 916
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Top US Syrahs

#147 Post by Adam Frisch » August 7th, 2019, 12:33 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 11:42 am

Adam,

Which Paul Lato syrah was opened? He makes a number of them - Cinematique from the Larner Vineyard, a Bien Nacido Vineyard one, and then at least one more.

I have found them beautifully elegant - but not sure about long term aging potential on them versus other producers. That is NOT to say that they are not wonderful wines - but the challenge for me with domestic syrahs comes down to QPR.

Cheers.
That's the thing I can't remember. I normally take a photo of each label I drink , but this time I must have been too drunk! champagne.gif
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20985
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: Top US Syrahs

#148 Post by Brian Tuite » August 7th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Craig G wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 10:28 pm


The best aged CA Syrah I’ve had is the 1991 Havens. It really did show some signs of transformation that I haven’t seen in other CA Syrahs, so I still have hope for some of the younger wines. But still nowhere close to 1991 Chave in quality.
Best aged domestic Syrah I’ve had was a ‘97 Jade Mountain.
  • 1997 Jade Mountain Syrah Block P-10 Paras Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (11/12/2012)
    14.3% abv. Decanted off sediment and poured a taste. Nice ruby color, nose is heavy on bell pepper, menthol, tobacco and a little leather. Blind I would have guessed Cab Franc. First taste at cellar temp. The palate is still showing nice fruit for its age with a big shot of blueberry, pepper and some black raspberry. Still some acid keeping it light on its feet and the tannins are fine but mouth coating. Alcohol shows a bit on the finish. Will revisit after air and temp correction.
    Really fleshed out and gained nice texture after a few hours. Reminds me of a 2006 Mt Veeder Syrah from Lagier Meredith. On day 2 it held its own and delivered everything from the first night. Very impressive wine and for a mere $25 was a LastBottleWine steal.
image.jpg
Posted from CellarTracker
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Steve Crawford
Posts: 2012
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: Top US Syrahs

#149 Post by Steve Crawford » August 7th, 2019, 1:29 pm

had a 2013 morlet syrah over the weekend.
not in the same tier as some of the others everyone has already mentioned. very good, but not great.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7041
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Top US Syrahs

#150 Post by Michael Martin » August 7th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:44 pm
Craig G wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 10:28 pm


The best aged CA Syrah I’ve had is the 1991 Havens. It really did show some signs of transformation that I haven’t seen in other CA Syrahs, so I still have hope for some of the younger wines. But still nowhere close to 1991 Chave in quality.
Best aged domestic Syrah I’ve had was a ‘97 Jade Mountain.
  • 1997 Jade Mountain Syrah Block P-10 Paras Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (11/12/2012)
    14.3% abv. Decanted off sediment and poured a taste. Nice ruby color, nose is heavy on bell pepper, menthol, tobacco and a little leather. Blind I would have guessed Cab Franc. First taste at cellar temp. The palate is still showing nice fruit for its age with a big shot of blueberry, pepper and some black raspberry. Still some acid keeping it light on its feet and the tannins are fine but mouth coating. Alcohol shows a bit on the finish. Will revisit after air and temp correction.
    Really fleshed out and gained nice texture after a few hours. Reminds me of a 2006 Mt Veeder Syrah from Lagier Meredith. On day 2 it held its own and delivered everything from the first night. Very impressive wine and for a mere $25 was a LastBottleWine steal.
image.jpg
Posted from CellarTracker
I had some 2003 Jade Mountain Paras and I thought they were excellent. The interesting thing is I bought them on Last Bottle Wines too during one of the early marathon sales. That was back when they blew out some really nice aged, but somewhat obscure, wines. You don't see gems like these anymore during the marathons.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”