TN: 2018 Martinelli Muscat Alexandria Jackass Hill

• 2018 Martinelli Muscat Alexandria Jackass Hill - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (6/18/2019)
    14.8% abv. Light straw, very aromatic. From vines planted in the late 19th Century. Peaches, pear, and a lovely lavender floral element. Nice mouthfeel, excellent depth, length and intensity. Nice emerging complexity with a grippy element. Very enjoyable and distinctive. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Martinelli’s first attempt at a dry white table wine from this legendary vineyard. Really nice.

Nice Mike - appreciate the note! I have very little experience with these wines, but I wonder if they’re actually better in their youth…as the 2004 I opened not long ago was absolute fire (not in a good way…think gasoline and a lit match).

14.8% alcohol Rich, no detectable alcohol at this point, I may keep one around to see how it ages.

Looks great, Mike. Muscat can be tricky but in the right hands can be sublime IMHO. Even more so than gewurz, the grape seems to get little respect.

Zind Humbrecht makes a stunning version from the Grand Cru Goldert vineyard that is very much worth seeking out, and quite reasonably priced as well. I’ve never had a domestic version that compares. Will be on the lookout for this one.

Whereas I have had delicious aged gewurz (30 years, both “dry” and VT), I have no experience with aged muscat.

Gotcha! Just checked and the 2004 clocked in at a cool 17.5% alcohol…which just might explain the heat :wink: Would be interested to try one of these young and at the lower ABV. Thanks again for posting!