TN: Klein Constantia

• 2015 Klein Constantia Estate Red Blend - South Africa (13/06/2019)
    Dark ruby with a purple rim. Rich savoury nose with violets and some aromatic wood. Rich savoury palate very well balanced with no alcohol burn and very well integrated tannins. Long finish Not a blockbuster style, very elegant.
    Soft and beautiful (94 pts.)

• 2015 Klein Constantia Vin de Constance - South Africa, Coastal Region, Cape Peninsula, Constantia (13/06/2019)
    Outstanding! Alluring tropical nose. Unctuous pineapple on the palate with a full mouthfeel and balanced acidity. Not cloying despite 163g/l residual sugar. Loooong finish!

• 2016 Klein Constantia Riesling - South Africa, Coastal Region, Cape Peninsula, Constantia (13/06/2019)
    Lovely aromatic nose of tropical fruit and pineapple. dry/off dry RS:6.3g/l
    Well balanced acidity. Lovely slightly oily mouthfeel.
    Only 2500 bottles made. Grapes are left to ferment on their skins for 3 days before draining them. Wild ferment, not inoculated with yeast.

• 2014 Klein Constantia Chardonnay Brut Cap Classique - South Africa, Coastal Region, Cape Peninsula, Constantia (12/06/2019)
    Very well balanced acidity. Citrus and brioche flavours with some lovely yeasty characteristics. Excellent long finish.
    Aged on lees in tank for 7 months and then in bottle on lees for a further 33 months before disgorging. Dosage is older vintage chardonnay.
    RS: 6.1g

• 2017 Klein Constantia Sauvignon Blanc Perdeblokke - South Africa, Coastal Region, Cape Peninsula, Constantia (12/06/2019)
    Full on herbaceous, green pepper nose with green pepper and asparagus on the palate. Round, full mouthfeel. Excellent balanced acidity Long finish. I feel that this will improve with a few more years in the bottle.

• 2018 Klein Constantia Sauvignon Blanc - South Africa, Coastal Region, Cape Peninsula, Constantia (12/06/2019)
    Nose is green, herbacious, and a bit bready.
    Tastes like it smells.
    Excellent balance and mouthfeel.
    Full and long finish. Lovely refreshing wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks! This is very timely, as I’ve been trying to decide if we should stop by in a few weeks when we’re in SA. Sounds like we should!

Loved Klein Constantia on our visit there November last year! Stunning surrounds, beautiful grounds and of course come for the vin de constance champagne.gif

seriously though, why is vin de constance not more well known… (not that i want the prices to go up…) ?

Personally I have stocked up on the last 3 vintages of vin de constance, cellared now proudly next to my couple of half bottles of Yquem. Can’t wait to see how they develop over the next 2 decades, but my guess is they will go toe to toe with the Yquem based on preliminary tastings [dance-clap.gif]

The MCC is also no slouch, and tasted wonderfully the couple of weeks we were in South Africa!

Super to see all these extra notes on this producer, Malcolm–I’ve only had the Vin de Constance before. And your note sounds surprisingly approachable for this age range for that.

Thanks much for posting, and big welcome to the board!

Mike