TN: 1999 Ridge Lytton Springs (USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley)

1999 Ridge Lytton Springs - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (6/16/2019)
From the day it was released, this has been an outstanding rendition of Lytton Springs. From the first sip, to now, two hours after opening, it’s still outstanding. It still has plenty of fruit, and a mature complex backdrop of spice, cedar and mint. It’s perfectly balanced, and very long. Lots of depth, so it may even have upside, though I cannot imagine it being better than it is now. No rush though. There’s plenty of runway for this version of Lytton Springs.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, David, one of my favs. Look forward to opening one up soon.

FYI I have opened at least four bottles of the 1995 Lytton Springs in the past year and it is not showing as well as David describes the 1999.

Plenty drinkable and certainly fruit, tea, wood, and tertiary qualities but also tiring overall and thin on the mid palate.

1999 was a much better vintage from the get go.

FWIW, the 1996 Geyserville was completely mature from a winery provided magnum at a dinner last month with Eric Baugher. Fascinating, complex wine, but at its peak and starting to slowly descend.