Would you drink zero alcohol wine

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine

If wine tasted exactly the same but zero alcohol would you still drink ?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 135

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Would you drink zero alcohol wine

#1 Post by Alan Eden » June 16th, 2019, 8:21 am

During recent poll on which grape you drink when stressed a lot of replies implied that wine is not used for stress relief and that the alcohol was not a reason for wine drinking. I think that is totally bogus, i believe everyone drinks wine for the alcohol as well as the taste etc, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. So as usual a poll is required.
Last edited by Alan Eden on June 16th, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Would you drink zero alcohol wine

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 16th, 2019, 8:28 am

Heck yes I would drink it. I would drink more of it! I don't like the buzz all that much. It's my least favorite part of wine/spirits.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Jim Stewart » June 16th, 2019, 8:40 am

"The second button is the key button."

Jonathan Loesberg

#4 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » June 16th, 2019, 8:44 am

This topic has been addressed numbers of times before. As I said in another thread on it, as long as we're talking about counter-factuals, what I would prefer was that wine gave me the alcoholic equivalent of one or two glasses and then stopped being alcoholic. That way I could get all I really wanted from the alcohol and still drink much more wine.

By the way, I think the people on the earlier thread who said they don't drink wine for alcohol meant that if they wanted only an alcoholic hit, they drink something else, which is not the same as saying that they don't appreciate the alcohol in wine.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by RichardFlack » June 16th, 2019, 9:17 am

Just wondering how a non alcoholic wine could taste exactly the same. Isn’t alcohol a part of the mouthfeel?

Taking the question at face value the answer is, trivially, Yes. But I doubt it’s actually possible. And any actual examples I’ve tried, admittedly very few, have been dire, to put it politely.

Gerhard P.

#6 Post by Gerhard P. » June 16th, 2019, 9:24 am

I´ve tasted it twice (blind) ... useless for me, tastes like crap.
Before I drink that I take beer, mineral water, cider, spritzer (white wine with soda) or Almdudler instead.
Alc-free beer is an option, it´s acceptable - but wine - NO. Not that I need the alc. but it´s simply awful.

At tasting I usually spit (proof that I don´t need the alc.)
Last edited by Gerhard P. on June 16th, 2019, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Otto Forsberg

#7 Post by Otto Forsberg » June 16th, 2019, 9:25 am

Are we talking about the "alcohol-free" wines on the market today, or wines that would taste and feel exactly the same, only without any of the the actual effects of alcohol? So I could have a, say, 1964 Produttori del Barbaresco without any alcohol, but it would taste exactly the same as the thing with alcohol?

If the first one, no way, they are basically undrinkable stuff. If the second one, hell yeah. I'd probably start collecting those kinds of wines instead of the alcohol ones.

Fortunately some of the modern non-alcohol beers are much more drinkable compared to the non-alc wines, but there's still a lot to be done until they are starting to taste like real stuff. However, they're getting close enough so when I want to have a beer just for thought-free refreshment, not to actually engage in semi-analytical beer savoring process, I actually might prefer the non-alc ones.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 16th, 2019, 9:31 am

RichardFlack wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 9:17 am
Just wondering how a non alcoholic wine could taste exactly the same. Isn’t alcohol a part of the mouthfeel?

Taking the question at face value the answer is, trivially, Yes. But I doubt it’s actually possible. And any actual examples I’ve tried, admittedly very few, have been dire, to put it politely.
Well, that's why it is a thought experiment. There is no way to produce the same drinking experience without the alcohol. If such a thing were possible, it would definitely mean I would drink more wine. Like David, I am not a huge fan of the alcohol buzz, and affirmatively dislike being drunk. If I could drink without that effect, I would be more inclined to drink on weeknights, would take multiple bottles to restaurants for dinner without fear of DUI, would be more inclined to drink over lunch . . . without question I would drink more despite Mr. People Don't Like Me telling me my answer is "bogus."

Want people to treat you better? Stop calling them liars.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by John Morris » June 16th, 2019, 9:42 am

RichardFlack wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 9:17 am
It's not just mouthfeel. Alcohol affects the solubility of many flavor compounds, and affects their release as aromas. At a certain point, it also makes a wine seem sweet even if it's been fermented completely dry.

Jamie Goode has written about taste tests in a lab where alcohol is removed and added with the same wine base. He said that there was an optimal ABV level for each wine, depending on the flavor profile.

In NY state, and perhaps elsewhere, there are partically dealcoholized wines (e.g., Chateau Diana) that are around 7% -- whatever it takes to make it legal to sell them in food stores, along with beer. (In NY, wine and liquor are sold only in liquor/wine stores, and beer is sold only in food stores.) The one time I tried one, it was crap. But, of course, they probably don't bother to buy the best grapes for those.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by John Morris » June 16th, 2019, 9:46 am

My answer to the original question is that it depends on the circumstance. Wine's alcohol can spur sociability and relaxation, and that can be a pleasure. Being tipsy can be fun.

But I rarely drink wine apart from food, and sometimes I crave wine at a meal where I'll be driving or need to work and I'd prefer not to suffer alcohol's affects. In those cases, I abstain, with regrets. Example: I was at a birthday party last night that was a 45-minute drive away. If there had been alcohol-free wine that tasted good, I would have drunk more. (I should have brought some Kabinett!)
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 16th, 2019, 9:58 am

John Morris wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 9:46 am
My answer to the original question is that it depends on the circumstance. Wine's alcohol can spur sociability and relaxation, and that can be a pleasure. Being tipsy can be fun.
This.

And certainly nobody would ever call me a wallflower; hmm, perhaps the wine actually sedates me and my hyperactivity!

I enjoy the entire pleasure spectrum of wine.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Theodore Anderson

#12 Post by Theodore Anderson » June 16th, 2019, 11:27 am

I'd certainly drink a lot more wine if it had less alcohol.
This world is a wiggly affair

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Mel Knox » June 16th, 2019, 11:45 am

Non alcohol beer works as the carbohydrates give the beverage mouth feel. It's a hoppy soft drink.
JLohr makes non alcohol wine, which is primarily sold in Scandinavian countries where the law mandates restaurants etc carry it.
Without the richness from the alcohol non alc wine is very sharp because of the acidity. If you add sweetness then you might as well drink grape juice.
ITB

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Anton D » June 16th, 2019, 11:54 am

No.

If wine could be dealcoholised and also be dehydrated to make roll ups, how many would you eat each day?

If your favorite wine could have the alcohol removed and made into an everlasting gobstopper in the form of a pacifier, would you ever take it out of your mouth?
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by John Morris » June 16th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Anton D wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 11:54 am
If your favorite wine could have the alcohol removed and made into an everlasting gobstopper in the form of a pacifier, would you ever take it out of your mouth?
Now, that calls for a poll, I think!

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Chris Seiber » June 16th, 2019, 3:14 pm

If you could have the otherwise identical smell and taste, without alcohol (I know this isn’t possible, but if it were possible), I would love it, at least some of the time.

Many of us may enjoy the buzz, but almost none of us WBers drink the wines we drink just to get a buzz. If you just cared about the buzz, you could buy inexpensive vodka and mix it with fruit juice, at <$1 a serving. Nobody would pay $100+ a bottle just to get 6 servings worth of booze you could get for $5.

This is why the attempted equivalency of wine to pot is a complete fail. The only purpose of pot is the high. If you had pot that didn’t make you high, nobody would smoke it. If you had DRC that magically had no alcohol, it would be prized, savored, worth a lot of money.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Kris Patten » June 16th, 2019, 3:34 pm

As many have said, if it was an identical beverage in every aspect, yes.
ITB

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by NickRut » June 16th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I’d actually drink more if it had zero alcohol on it and everything else was kept equal. Lower the calories to 0 and I’d drink even more.
Rutkowski

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by robert creth » June 16th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Wine by definition is an alcoholic drink. The camaraderie, good fellowship and social aspects, are the results of the alcohol. Otherwise it is just another way to quench thirst. No alcohol kills the point.
Going too far likely, but getting drunk on occasion is not a horrible thing. I’m not talking about driving or black-out levels, but sometimes getting loose and finding your limits is educational. Following the blossoming of a few bottles over an evening can be wonderful with friends the glow of the buzz is part of the experience.
No alcohol, no drink. But that is just me.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by David Glasser » June 16th, 2019, 8:07 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 8:28 am
Heck yes I would drink it. I would drink more of it! I don't like the buzz all that much. It's my least favorite part of wine/spirits.
This.

Those asking "how" and if the OP is asking about no-alcohol wines currently available are missing the point. This is a hypothetical: if the wine magically tasted the same and was organoleptically identical in every way but had no alcohol, would you drink it?

There are many times when I would drink more if there were no alcohol. And there are times when I would prefer wine with alcohol for the disinhibition in social circumstances.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Alan Eden » June 16th, 2019, 8:53 pm

So people would generally prefer wine with zero alcohol.

Did not expect that result
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Russell Faulkner

#22 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 16th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Doesn’t seem a logical conclusion based on the question you asked and the poll.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Alan Eden » June 16th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Well zero alcohol beer is certainly as tasty as the mainstream crap like Bud/miller lite but you never see anyone drink the German low alcohol beer that's available yet according to this 62% should be drinking it !!

Me thinks not everyone is being that real

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by David Glasser » June 16th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 9:25 pm
Well zero alcohol beer is certainly as tasty as the mainstream crap like Bud/miller lite but you never see anyone drink the German low alcohol beer that's available yet according to this 62% should be drinking it !!

Me thinks not everyone is being that real
Now you’re changing the question. If zero alcohol wine tasted like 2BC or other low end crap I would not drink it.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Chris Seiber » June 16th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Yeah, it depends on the question. If you mean actual nonalcoholic “wine,” then the minute sales of those products answers the question.

But if you theoretically could have 89 Haut Brion, and the literal only difference is that you didn’t get your 6 servings of alcohol when you drank it, it’s worth just as much. Maybe more. The value of that wine has nothing to do with the mild buzz you’d get drinking it.

There is absolutely nothing “not real” about saying that. Though I only have myself to blame for participating in another thread and poll of yours, I supppse.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 17th, 2019, 3:13 am

Russell Faulkner wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 8:55 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Doesn’t seem a logical conclusion based on the question you asked and the poll.
Here we have, once again, a problem with the “English” language used by Alan. Given this post by him, and comparing it to the wording of the poll, I now do not understand either what he asked or what he is saying. I really don’t know why I open these threads. That it only “attracted” 66 voters, speaks volumes. I’m out.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#27 Post by Robert M yers » June 17th, 2019, 4:03 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 3:14 pm
If you could have the otherwise identical smell and taste, without alcohol (I know this isn’t possible, but if it were possible), I would love it, at least some of the time.

Many of us may enjoy the buzz, but almost none of us WBers drink the wines we drink just to get a buzz. If you just cared about the buzz, you could buy inexpensive vodka and mix it with fruit juice, at <$1 a serving. Nobody would pay $100+ a bottle just to get 6 servings worth of booze you could get for $5.

This is why the attempted equivalency of wine to pot is a complete fail. The only purpose of pot is the high. If you had pot that didn’t make you high, nobody would smoke it. If you had DRC that magically had no alcohol, it would be prized, savored, worth a lot of money.
I kind of agree with you about pot, but on the other hand I know people who tell me the exact thing folks here are saying about wine. So either everybody is lying to themselves or people really do enjoy exploring the nuances of different strains of marijuana and don’t need or want the buzz, at least past a certain point. That mirrors what many say about wine, essentially that mild effects can be enjoyed but we wish we could keep enjoying the product without the extreme and negative consequences.
Certainly people taking it for medical reasons would do without the effects of the thc.

I do suspect that without any alcohol the widespread collectibility would be pretty nil. To the poster who spits at tastings, hmmm you do know you never have to drink wine. Why aren’t people Spitting all the time then? Understanding that you can’t effectively do this at a restaurant, but you can get all the flavor and nuance at home without actually swallowing...ever. Preferring that there be less alcohol is reasonable for sure, but not even close to what I think what the intended question was. Spitting after you have just enough or slight relaxation/buzz should be answered with a No, but I have a feeling it’s not being voted that way.

Gerhard P.

#28 Post by Gerhard P. » June 17th, 2019, 5:11 am

Robert M yers wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 4:03 am
... To the poster who spits at tastings, hmmm you do know you never have to drink wine. Why aren’t people Spitting all the time then? Understanding that you can’t effectively do this at a restaurant, but you can get all the flavor and nuance at home without actually swallowing...ever. Preferring that there be less alcohol is reasonable for sure, but not even close to what I think what the intended question was. Spitting after you have just enough or slight relaxation/buzz should be answered with a No, but I have a feeling it’s not being voted that way.
Since I assume you mean my posting #6 above: I´m not sure if I get your point (right)!?
Do you actually mean one should either spit all the time (also at home) - or not spit at all?

I guess all professional (and non-professional) tasters who taste a certain number of wines per day or evening spit, at least partially.
Why? Because when more or less drunk - which is inevitable after drinking 20/30+ wines - you cannot judge and experience the last wines objectively any more ... and often these are the ones with highest quality.
I´m also sure all professional tasters drink wine on other occasions, because wine is also food, it acompanies meals, it gives pleasure, it relaxes etc.

I simply stated that before I drink non-alc wine - which tastes crappy - I have a lot of other options like beer, mineral water ... or simply spit to avoid getting tipsy ...

Moreover I heavily doubt that it is possible to produce high class wines - which in most instances are connected with a certain terroir ... and should be true to this origin - to produce these without any alcohol ... and without compromising the quality of these wines and not losing the main characteristics.
Even if it will be possible in due time to produce non-alc. wine of rather acceptable quality it will be an industrial technical product that is of absolutely no interest for me.
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 17th, 2019, 5:19 am

I do not smoke weed currently, but have in the distant past. I cannot see any reason to smoke weed if you don't want to get high. To me, the sensation of filling my lungs with hot smoke is not pleasurable. The buzz is (from memory).

There is absolutely no comparison to wine and alcohol. Wine is, I should not have to point out here, delicious. It compliments and elevates the food with which it is served. If it did not knock me off-kilter, I would drink more of it because it is, it bears repeating, delicious. I don't see why that is hard to understand.

What currently passes for non-alcoholic wine (and beer for that matter) is neither delicious or alcohol free. It is the worst of all worlds.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Scott Brunson » June 17th, 2019, 5:32 am

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 8:44 am
...what I would prefer was that wine gave me the alcoholic equivalent of one or two glasses and then stopped being alcoholic. That way I could get all I really wanted from the alcohol and still drink much more wine.

+ infinity
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Alan Eden » June 17th, 2019, 6:46 am

I still dont get the result, i understand that zero alcohol wine tastes like crap so nobody would drink it, i asked would you drink zero alcohol wine if it was an exact duplicate of the alcoholic version and 62% said yes they would. Now if you compare to beer the zero alcohol version is widely available and unlike wine is actually very similar to the alcoholic version, so my point being that if 62% would prefer no alcohol in wine why doesnt anybody drink zero alcohol beer ? anyone here drink zero alcohol beer regularly except me ?

Gerhard P.

#32 Post by Gerhard P. » June 17th, 2019, 7:00 am

Alan Eden wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 6:46 am
.... why doesnt anybody drink zero alcohol beer ? anyone here drink zero alcohol beer regularly except me ?
I do ... not daily, but sometimes. It tastes really acceptable (and maybe the Austrian beers are still better than the mean US-buds ...) [wow.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 17th, 2019, 7:01 am

Alan Eden wrote:
I still dont get the result, i understand that zero alcohol wine tastes like crap so nobody would drink it, i asked would you drink zero alcohol wine if it was an exact duplicate of the alcoholic version and 62% said yes they would. Now if you compare to beer the zero alcohol version is widely available and unlike wine is actually very similar to the alcoholic version, so my point being that if 62% would prefer no alcohol in wine why doesnt anybody drink zero alcohol beer ? anyone here drink zero alcohol beer regularly except me ?
I rarely drink beer at all.

Otto Forsberg

#34 Post by Otto Forsberg » June 17th, 2019, 7:03 am

Alan Eden wrote:
Now if you compare to beer the zero alcohol version is widely available and unlike wine is actually very similar to the alcoholic version
I almost burst out laughing at this point

I still do drink 0% beer every now and then, but it really doesn't taste like the real stuff. It's much better than 0% wine, but that doesn't make it "very similar to the alcoholic version".

Unless your idea of beer is Bud Light or its equivalent.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Alan Eden » June 17th, 2019, 7:50 am

Otto Forsberg wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 7:03 am
Alan Eden wrote:
Now if you compare to beer the zero alcohol version is widely available and unlike wine is actually very similar to the alcoholic version
I almost burst out laughing at this point

I still do drink 0% beer every now and then, but it really doesn't taste like the real stuff. It's much better than 0% wine, but that doesn't make it "very similar to the alcoholic version".

Unless your idea of beer is Bud Light or its equivalent.
Bud light is not my idea of beer but it is like 90% of Americans !!

Three Europeans who drink low alcohol beer, thats indicative of a whole other issue with Americans being terrible for drunk driving, a large portion of people in the US feel its OK to drink and drive and do it regularly. Europeans dont drink and drive as a general practice

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by David Glasser » June 17th, 2019, 8:16 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 5:19 am
I do not smoke weed currently, but have in the distant past. I cannot see any reason to smoke weed if you don't want to get high. To me, the sensation of filling my lungs with hot smoke is not pleasurable. The buzz is (from memory).

There is absolutely no comparison to wine and alcohol. Wine is, I should not have to point out here, delicious. It compliments and elevates the food with which it is served. If it did not knock me off-kilter, I would drink more of it because it is, it bears repeating, delicious. I don't see why that is hard to understand.

What currently passes for non-alcoholic wine (and beer for that matter) is neither delicious or alcohol free. It is the worst of all worlds.
Perfectly summarized.

Jonathan Loesberg

#37 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » June 17th, 2019, 8:17 am

Alan Eden wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 7:50 am

Three Europeans who drink low alcohol beer, thats indicative of a whole other issue with Americans being terrible for drunk driving, a large portion of people in the US feel its OK to drink and drive and do it regularly. Europeans dont drink and drive as a general practice
You must be kidding. The French started to crack down on drunk driving (and speeding) maybe 5 years ago and my French friends speak of it as if the Gestapo had come back as the traffic police.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by David Glasser » June 17th, 2019, 8:21 am

Alan Eden wrote:
The average beer drinker isn’t drinking for the subtleties of taste that those on this forum seek in wine. The populations are wildly different so there is no validity in comparing market penetration of zero alcohol beer produced in industrial quantities to the preferences expressed by Wine Berserkers.

Edit to add:

If you asked regular drinkers of 2BC and Yellowtail whether they would still drink it if it had no alcohol, you’d probably get numbers closer to what you were expecting.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 17th, 2019, 8:34 am

Alan Eden wrote:
Two things: (a) "non-alcoholic beer" is not devoid of alcohol, it is just there is very low quantities; and (b) it does not taste the same. Or at least, none of the beers I drink make a non-alcoholic version to my knowledge. Even if Blue Moon is available in a non-alcoholic version and tastes identical to its alcoholic version I still would not drink it.

Tim Heaton

#40 Post by Tim Heaton » June 17th, 2019, 8:45 am

" still dont get the result, i understand that zero alcohol wine tastes like crap so nobody would drink it"

- which is to say you understand nothing
ITB
CT: Wine-Strategies

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by jcoley3 » June 17th, 2019, 8:50 am

I would for simple health reasons. I already pretty much spit everything these days.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 17th, 2019, 9:27 am

Alan Eden wrote:
And you wonder why your posts are received in a negative fashion? This is why. You are basically scolding Americans based on a stupid internet wine board poll that you created.

Just my own experience here, but I do not think it's OK to drink and drive, and so either drink water or iced tea when out and needing to drive, or use services such as Uber. When I drive to tastings, I spit.

p.s. Ever heard of an apostrophe?

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Anton D » June 17th, 2019, 9:50 am

Would you drink alcohol free vodka?

How about alcohol free Scotch or Bourbon?

I think we need to discuss more possibilities and parameters.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Alan Eden » June 17th, 2019, 9:56 am

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 8:17 am
Alan Eden wrote:

You must be kidding. The French started to crack down on drunk driving (and speeding) maybe 5 years ago and my French friends speak of it as if the Gestapo had come back as the traffic police.
Might want to check context, your arguing against me yet i agree with you

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Alan Eden » June 17th, 2019, 9:59 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 9:27 am
Alan Eden wrote:
And you wonder why your posts are received in a negative fashion? This is why. You are basically scolding Americans based on a stupid internet wine board poll that you created.

Just my own experience here, but I do not think it's OK to drink and drive, and so either drink water or iced tea when out and needing to drive, or use services such as Uber. When I drive to tastings, I spit.

Well the truth can be painful, its not an opinion its a fact. Go in any establishment that serves alcohol on a Friday or Saturday night and of the people who arrived driving a car a good portion are going to have a drink or more

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Alan Eden » June 17th, 2019, 10:00 am

Anton D wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 9:50 am

Would you drink alcohol free Scotch ? i know i wouldnt

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Greg K » June 17th, 2019, 10:13 am

Alan Eden wrote:
a large portion of people in the US feel its OK to drink and drive and do it regularly. Europeans dont drink and drive as a general practice
I'd love to see the evidence for this.
Greg Kahn

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 17th, 2019, 10:27 am

He also does not know how to use the quote function.

Makes me wonder if he’s drunk when he does these polls.

Robert Dentice

#49 Post by Robert Dentice » June 17th, 2019, 10:29 am

I like the alcohol, its the calories I could do with out!

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Anton D » June 17th, 2019, 11:01 am

Alan Eden wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 10:00 am
Anton D wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 9:50 am

Would you drink alcohol free Scotch ? i know i wouldnt
If it offers the exact same sensory impression and flavor profile, etc, why not?

Are you only about the buzz?
Anton Dotson

Return to “Wine Talk”