TN: Two Gems from OR (under $40 too) 16 B. House 'Cascadia' Chard - 16 Kelley Fox Momtazi Pinot

• 2016 Brick House Chardonnay Cascadia - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (6/15/2019)
    From a pop and pour, this was hitting the ground running. Delivering a yellow core that wasn’t big on specific fruit traits, but hit the bulls eye on a bright, energetic citric acid themed palate. Gained more definition and traction with time in the glass. Very clingy and imparts a smoky wake of minerals on the finish. IMHO, this bottle gets often over looked when looking at the best Chardonnays that Oregon can offer, but it belongs, and with open arms. Its $35 a bottle, find out for yourself. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2016 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Momtazi Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (6/15/2019)
    Decanted 2 hrs. but oh would I have loved to air this out further. A bit heavier palate wise than my first foray into KF Pinot (the other worldly 16 Star Of Bethlehem) but no less exciting, that’s for sure. Exhibits maddening levels of strawberry essence, so fragrant and so pure. Somewhat earthy, and a small touch of aldehyde gave a slight textural feeling of chubbiness, but ever so slight and surely to dissipate when this gems grows up in a few years. Outstanding. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Drinking the '13 KF Momtazi as I type this and it is similar to what you describe though I must ask you, what are the characteristics of aldehyde? (other than chubbiness). Or to ask it differently, how does one detect aldehyde?
Anyhow, the '13 poured the lightest shade of red one will see this side of Trousseau and yet it darkened with air and likewise it started out sleek and shy and plumped up nicely in all respects with 30-40 minutes of air.

its typical of her wines for the Momtazi to be a little bit bigger than the wines from the Maresh from what I understand. all of her wines are beautiful, and in my experience even the “bigger” momtazi wines are still pretty and pure. Love her and her wines!

Correct. As is Dale’s observation about the Brick House - maybe not in the top top tier of OR Chards, but def in the next tier and a fantastic QPR.

I’m looking forward to finally getting some Kelley Fox wines.