HOUSTON WINE LIST

In Houston-

Searching for BYOB or wine lists with mature Rhone (Cotie Rotie/Hermitage), Barolo, Syrah or Barbaresco.

Prefer Italian, Barbecue, Indian, Steak or Pizza restaurants.

Please PM byob options.

Thanks!

following…in Houston as well.

You’d be hard pressed to do better than Pappas Bros for a wine list in Houston. BYOB is tough in Texas, but I’m sure some Houston folks can put up some places that allow corkage. If you want some guidance in Austin feel free to shoot me a DM.

This is Galleria location wine list:

I agree on Pappas Brothers steakhouse on their wine list. While I was in Houston this past year, I didn’t find a single BYOB restaurant. Maybe I didn’t try enough places.

There are a couple but nothing noteworthy (Lucio’s and Collinas). Pappa’s and Mastro’s wine lists are as good as it gets but they are really expensive 3x and 4x.

Brasserie 19 has the* best wine deals in town. Food is pretty good.

This is good advice. Pappas is the best list for breadth and interest. Best deals are at Brasserie 19 and a’Bouzy (for Champagne). There are some nice wine bars: 13 Celsius is my favorite, but Camerata is good too. BYO is tough here. Perhaps the best BYO places are the good Indian/Chinese/etc. places off of Bellaire. For instance, Himalaya has amazing Indian/Pakistani food and allows BYO.

For a “quaint” French restaurant, with a nice wine list (ie: mature Rhone/red and white burgundy/Champs) with reasonable prices, try Cafe Rabelais in Rice Village. This place is a hidden gem. Wine list online.

Pizza @ Pizaro’s and BYO.

Agree with Pappa’s suggestion and Celsius 13 for something more eclectic. Re BYOB, not much in Houston. Based on this list, Jonathan’s the Rub is worth it if you’re in the Memorial area. Not worth traveling far for it though. The Big Houston Food Finder Guide To BYOB Restaurants - Houston Food Finder

I haven’t lived in Houston in over 15 years, but not surprised that Pappa’s wine list gets the nod here. Very extensive with prized, high-end options. With a price to match.

Jonathan’s The Rub’s Memorial location isn’t BYOB. Just the original. Learned this the hard way recently when I showed up with a decanted '16 Carlisle Carlisle Vineyard Zin. I didn’t think the food was very good either.

Since the OP mentioned Indian, I’d HIGHLY recommend Himalaya for BYOB. Considered by many to be the best restaurant in Houston period. Huynh is a solid Vietnamese BYOB spot near downtown in EaDo. I’ll also second Lucio’s for more traditional fare.

Some good lists in town that aren’t too marked up - Brasserie 19, a’Bouzy (especially for Champagne), Eunice, Coppa Osteria.

Decent BYOB options inside the loop in Houston are Uchi , Bollo or Bistro Menil. Not a lot of choices with Jonathan’s the Rub and Underbelly changing their BYOB policies over the past 12 months.

Didn’t know that about Underbelly. Was always underwhelmed with their food with all of the praise but tried it a couple of times because of the BYOB. Had no idea you could do that at Uchi.

Second vote for Lucio’s.

Since nobody has mentioned why there is virtually no BYOB restaurant in Houston, I will. Specifically, if a Texas restaurant holds a full liquor license (mixed drinks), it is illegal to bring alcoholic beverages (e.g., wine) onto the premises.

Da Marco is the best Italian in Houston and is BYOB. The corkage is outrageous though - something like $50 or $75.