2016 Ch. Calon-Ségur - what a beauty

2016 Ch. Calon-Ségur, St. Estèphe, Medoc, Bordeaux

On Wednesday I had a couple of 2016 Bordeaux…….Gruaud Larose, Malartic Lagravière, Durfort-Vivens, Trottevieille and Calon Ségur.
I was impressed how open, charming, balanced and fresh these wines were. All quite good, but Calon Ségur was clearly on another level.

Based on 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Cabernet Franc, 20% Merlot und 2% Petit Verdot. Despite 14% quite fresh on the palate. I read that Eric Boissenot is a fan of early harvesting and so the harvest started 1st October and finished 15th October according to a German wine dealer.

Overall such polished, silky, refined textured. You will find blackberry, cassis, mint and spice in the background. In addition a fine minerality. Tremendous complexity&depth in the finish. What a beauty! And in such great shape at the moment. No decanting, just pop&pour. I have to say a real bargain, for 100€ at the beginning.

96-97/100

IMG_9136.jpg

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks, Martin,

I have a bunch, and have a drunk a bunch of the older ones. From your note, it sounds like this is in a different style (though not necessarily a “worse” style–don’t want to sound like Alfert here). Is that correct, or am I not getting you?

I drank a couple of older versions, but I can´t remember that they were such polished&silky as 2016. But most importantly for me is the remarkable freshness in 2016.

YES, it could also be too polished like in case of 2016 Pontet Canet which is a great wine, but lacks a bit of character in my view. I clearly prefer 2016 Pichon Comtesse. I had both side by side on Xmas.

In case of Calon Ségur, not to love this wine is impossible.

I think this is the wine Alfert ordered me to buy in futures, and I obeyed…we’ll see if he’s right, but sounds likely! I hadn’t planned to open these young, but now I’m very curious…

Cool, Todd,
Please let us know how they drink.
I’m not buying (m) any futures, though I confess, I did pick up some of the Comtesse, so your remarks are welcome on that score as well, Martin, thanks!

The wine is fantastic, indeed. I believe 2016 across the board is going to turn out to very special.

We opened a '16 Fleur Cardinale Wednesday night and it was singing after a four hour decant. Pure decadence in a bottle.

2016 Ch. Pichon Comtesse

What a beauty. Velvet and silk on the palate and such sexy. Fantastic balance and with a never-ending length.

It is indeed maybe the best vintage since 1982.

98/100

I agree. I looked into grabbing some 2016 Calon Segur after I missed the futures release this year for the 2018s (never really followed Bordeaux until I saw everyone discussing the Calon).

Glad I found a few bottles at my local TW. Ended up grabbing them all. When I decided to pop one open it was singing and it changed my view on Bordeaux. Definitely will be on the lookout when the 2018s hit shelves.

Martin: Thanks for the note, but I am amazed it drinks so well, so young. I love CS, and it is typically a bargain, but I have always found it needs real time.

Kelly,

trust me, all the 2016 are singing now and its the same with Calon Ségur. Needs also not necessarily decanting.

Open a bottle and find out for yourself. in vino veritas

how does 2016 compare to 2014, 2015?

Thanks for the note Martin. I bought a few of these in 375 format; glad I did now!

Thanks Martin… will plan to open one when I manage to pick mine up. Kind of dreading it as I have no room for the 3 cases of 2016s I have coming!

Thanks for the note, Martin. Sounds fantastic. My three pack ordered EP just came in. Wish I’d gotten more now.

I don’t know if there is a recent style change here, but the LPB note on the 2018 second label is pretty interesting:

The 2018 Le Marquis de Calon-Ségur is a blend of 53% Merlot and 47% Cabernet Sauvignon > (14.9% alcohol)> . It is anticipated to age for 17 months in barriques, 30% new. Deep purple-black in color, it gives up > opulent scents > of Indian spices, menthol and > plum preserves > with a core of crème de cassis, > baked cherries > and > raspberry pie > plus a hint of sandalwood. > Big, rich> , full-bodied and > voluptuously fruited > in the mouth, it has > bags of black fruit preserves > and exotic spices with a firm, > plush > frame, finishing long with a minty lift. > Definitely one for the hedonists> !

92-94 points, Lisa Perrotti-Brown, Wine Advocate (Issue # Interim - Apr 2019)

LPB has a fetish for pie.

This wine sounds like nothing that I would ever want to cross my pristine lips!

Was at the local Total Wine today and had just read this thread. They had 4 bottles left, which I purchased.

They did pretty good with their other label in their stable.

“One of our vintage favorite”

Giuseppe Lauria editor in chief from the swiss&german wine magazine WEINWISSER just told me this regarding 2016 Calon Ségur.

Picked up a couple of these in 750 today @Total based in part on this thread. Triangulation: everyone seems to love this wine, from The Suck to Jancis. Pretty safe bet I think.

But I thought you weren’t buying any more Bordeaux because you have too much and you’ll never live long enough to drink it?

neener