Found! Burgundy Group in South Florida: Truchot, Rousseau, Coche

For some reason South Florida is barren when it comes to finding burgundy folk.

Luckily by chance and this site we were able to pull something together after a few months of planning.

The wines all showed well. Surprisingly the Coche was not too young and the 02 Truchot was open for business. Not surprisingly, the Rousseau was absolutely delicious.

• 1995 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Rousseau is Rousseau. This is probably one of the best 95s I’ve had. Dark fruited with the 95 signature but not clumsy. This has the elegance of Rousseau in a tough vintage. Almost secondary in profile with some spice, savoriness, spice, and mineral streak. Refreshes nicely with a blue cheese palate cleanser. Drinking well. I don’t see it improving or declining but could very well be mistaken in the former. Oddly enough shared some similar characteristics with the 02 Truchot Clos Sorbes.
  • 2002 Domaine Truchot-Martin Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos Sorbes Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru (6/13/2019)
    Maybe the first open 02 I’ve had. Clean red fruit and plenty of gorgeous spice. There is an elusive nose that is almost like rubber but in a pleasant way. Earthy, dark, with a nice mineral streak. This is not unlike the delicious 95 Rousseau CSJ next to it.
  • 2011 Coche-Dury Meursault Les Rougeots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/13/2019)
    Surprisingly accessible. Not nearly as tart as the 11 Caillerets or Meursault. There is plenty of acid to be sure but also enough fruit to balance it out. Drinking well now but also with plenty plenty of room for improvement. Last classic vintage of Coche IMO.

Posted from CellarTracker

Not so barren when you find Truchot, Coche and Rousseau :wink:! Thanks for the notes

Glad you found some compatriots in FL. Great notes on some wonderful wines. What do you mean by the phrase “Last classic vintage of Coche IMO.”?

2011 Coche-Dury Meursault Les Rougeots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (6/13/2019)
Surprisingly accessible. Not nearly as tart as the 11 Caillerets or Meursault. There is plenty of acid to be sure but also enough fruit to balance it out. Drinking well now but also with plenty plenty of room for improvement. Last classic vintage of Coche IMO.

supposedly the wines made under the direction of the son are more forward

Hi Larry, what m.ristev said. I’ve only tasted a small number of 2012-15 but they seem like they have less sulfur and acid. A little prettier and more forward that way. Could be the vintages. Hard to say.

That’s a pretty good group to find.
'02 Truchot Sentiers is one of my top Burgundy of the past couple years.
Pretty much everything I want in a wine.
Wish I was a buyer when they were $50 not all that long ago. LOL
Nice lineup and notes!

Thread drift, but can anyone recommend a decent wine store in south Florida? I’m having a devil of a time finding a place to pick a few bottles. Someone here must carry the Kermit Lynch portfolio, or a decent selection of burgs, or some dirty & rowdy. I’m not looking for gems to cellar but just things to drink down here. Thanks
Alex

Wine watch in Ft. Lauderdale.

B-21

Thanks nick.

That’s in tampa unfortunately.

Definitely Wine Watch!
Stop by and enjoy the wide selection.
If you have time you can open the bottle in the wine bar and enjoy with excellent food.

+1 on Wine Watch
Wine Wave in Delray is also a cool store but priced to survive on Atlantic Ave just off the Itracoastal.

Wolfes Wines in Coral Gables is a great shop and has been a customer of ours for a long time

I found 2011 to be very much in the style of the C&R coche. Just a lighter vintage.

Thanks Hardy. That looks like what I was looking for and not too far from my place.
Alex