TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett

2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/13/2019)
Monumentally good, this still has some primary fruit, and also a full dose of stony, smoky, salty aged character. There’s a touch of creaminess on the palate, but it’s primarily clear, crisp and completely delicious. The sweetness is perfectly balanced by the acid spine. No rush to drink up. Even at age 18 this wine has decades of life left.

Posted from CellarTracker

Hey David - is J.J. Christoffel well known on this site? If so, great that it gets it’s due. If not, STOP IT!

Somewhat well known.

That being said, it’s a shadow of what it once was. 2001 was the last great vintage there.

2001 UW Auslese * was fantastic and very primary also 10 days ago. Very complex but still integrating.

Their two primary holdings were Treppchen and Wurzgarten in Urzig.

I drank the UW version of this wine on Saturday and my note could’ve been your note! (Had i bothered to write one.)

And drank the ET spatlese the week before and it too was a beautiful baby. I have probably purchased and drunk more 01s from this producer than all others. Soooo great.

I’m somewhat familiar with them. The ET has more mineral / stone fruit while the UW shows more slate & petrol with tropical fruit, plus has a bit more of an unctuous feel than the ET.

I wish the current proprietors would change the name of the estate. It’s not Christoffel anymore. The wines are not remotely similar in style.