The Best Young Beaucastel!

• 2016 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/11/2019)
    Probably the most enjoyable young Beaucastel I have had. It is so vibrant and punchy, with notes of raspberry, plum, violets and wild herbs. It is deep and intense, but light on its feet, like great Grand Cru Burgundy. Tannins simply occupy a space and it builds through the palate, fanning out on the finish. I love the breezy acidity and sneaky persistence.

Posted from CellarTracker

Yea it’s pretty outstanding.

Also, a wine to grab by the case - I’ve grabbed two - is the Coudoulet de Beaucastel. At $25 or so, a crazy good house wine!

Nice note. Maybe I need to check some out.

Surprised to see someone with your palate write this, Jeremy. Young Beaucastel’s I’ve had 2001 - 2012 have almost always been dark, alcoholic, extracted, and sometimes stewed (except for 2008, oddly). No real secondary notes and they’ve almost all felt like they’ve lacked the finesse and potential for nuance and complexity. Perhaps they’ve turned the corner? Also I don’t mind a little brett and that’s been absent in this producer since 1996. Not a knock as I understand why they would want to eliminate it. Just an observation.

I’ll have to try this one. It’s being released here in about a week for $93 CAD which seems pretty good.

I had a similar reaction to 2015 Beaucastel too. Perfumed and lifted, almost with a whole cluster quality.

Quite a turn from the previous decade and a half.

Consensus is to buy a case and forget about it for 20 years? Or drink early?

Buy a case and drink 1 bottle every year or so.

I have a few in the cellar and have noticed that the '15 and '16’s seem to get nearly universal rave reviews. Have not drunk any of mine yet.

+1 based on my 2015 sample

I bought both and like both, same with the Coudoulet. The 2016 has greater lift and freshness, crisp citrus acid.

I’ll be right behind you Chris–I’ve had the exact same experience as you set out here, and I trust your palate for sure, Jeremy, so it looks like a buy.

Thanks for the wonderful TN

Mike

I only have 3 bottles remaining and will probably drink them all in the next 18 months, it is that delicious and perfectly balanced. I don’t doubt it will age but I love it now.

totally agree.

Good to hear - I’ve not bought for probably around 10 vintages, so could be time to dip back in

Are these now safe for us Brett averse drinkers? I’ve always stayed away due to my uncertainty.

Beaucastel has been clean for awhile now.

This.

But given my signature, my opinion should be accorded no consideration.

Maybe the testing hasn’t caught up with the doping yet.

Pop & pour, several hour decant? What do you suggest?

Gotta love the sneaky persistence Jeremy.