The Best Young Beaucastel!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Jeremy Holmes
Posts: 6446
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm

The Best Young Beaucastel!

#1 Post by Jeremy Holmes » June 12th, 2019, 10:55 pm

  • 2016 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/11/2019)
    Probably the most enjoyable young Beaucastel I have had. It is so vibrant and punchy, with notes of raspberry, plum, violets and wild herbs. It is deep and intense, but light on its feet, like great Grand Cru Burgundy. Tannins simply occupy a space and it builds through the palate, fanning out on the finish. I love the breezy acidity and sneaky persistence.
Posted from CellarTracker
ITB

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19823
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#2 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 13th, 2019, 2:54 am

Yea it’s pretty outstanding.

Also, a wine to grab by the case - I’ve grabbed two - is the Coudoulet de Beaucastel. At $25 or so, a crazy good house wine!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#3 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 13th, 2019, 6:04 am

Nice note. Maybe I need to check some out.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 481
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#4 Post by Chris V. » June 13th, 2019, 6:12 am

Surprised to see someone with your palate write this, Jeremy. Young Beaucastel's I've had 2001 - 2012 have almost always been dark, alcoholic, extracted, and sometimes stewed (except for 2008, oddly). No real secondary notes and they've almost all felt like they've lacked the finesse and potential for nuance and complexity. Perhaps they've turned the corner? Also I don't mind a little brett and that's been absent in this producer since 1996. Not a knock as I understand why they would want to eliminate it. Just an observation.

I'll have to try this one. It's being released here in about a week for $93 CAD which seems pretty good.
V a n d e r m a r e l

User avatar
Robert Love
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 205
Joined: August 9th, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#5 Post by Robert Love » June 13th, 2019, 8:53 am

I had a similar reaction to 2015 Beaucastel too. Perfumed and lifted, almost with a whole cluster quality.

Quite a turn from the previous decade and a half.

Jon Chan
Posts: 81
Joined: December 9th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#6 Post by Jon Chan » June 13th, 2019, 9:41 am

Consensus is to buy a case and forget about it for 20 years? Or drink early?

YLee
Posts: 740
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#7 Post by YLee » June 13th, 2019, 9:55 am

Jon Chan wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 9:41 am
Consensus is to buy a case and forget about it for 20 years? Or drink early?
Buy a case and drink 1 bottle every year or so.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 562
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#8 Post by dsimmons » June 13th, 2019, 10:41 am

I have a few in the cellar and have noticed that the '15 and '16's seem to get nearly universal rave reviews. Have not drunk any of mine yet.
D o n

User avatar
Robert Love
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 205
Joined: August 9th, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#9 Post by Robert Love » June 13th, 2019, 10:42 am

YLee wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 9:55 am
Jon Chan wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 9:41 am
Consensus is to buy a case and forget about it for 20 years? Or drink early?
Buy a case and drink 1 bottle every year or so.
+1 based on my 2015 sample

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19823
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#10 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 13th, 2019, 11:41 am

Robert Love wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 8:53 am
I had a similar reaction to 2015 Beaucastel too. Perfumed and lifted, almost with a whole cluster quality.

Quite a turn from the previous decade and a half.
I bought both and like both, same with the Coudoulet. The 2016 has greater lift and freshness, crisp citrus acid.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Mike Grammer
Posts: 5861
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#11 Post by Mike Grammer » June 13th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Chris V. wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 6:12 am
Surprised to see someone with your palate write this, Jeremy. Young Beaucastel's I've had 2001 - 2012 have almost always been dark, alcoholic, extracted, and sometimes stewed (except for 2008, oddly). No real secondary notes and they've almost all felt like they've lacked the finesse and potential for nuance and complexity. Perhaps they've turned the corner? Also I don't mind a little brett and that's been absent in this producer since 1996. Not a knock as I understand why they would want to eliminate it. Just an observation.

I'll have to try this one. It's being released here in about a week for $93 CAD which seems pretty good.
I'll be right behind you Chris--I've had the exact same experience as you set out here, and I trust your palate for sure, Jeremy, so it looks like a buy.

Thanks for the wonderful TN

Mike

User avatar
Jeremy Holmes
Posts: 6446
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#12 Post by Jeremy Holmes » June 13th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Jon Chan wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 9:41 am
Consensus is to buy a case and forget about it for 20 years? Or drink early?
I only have 3 bottles remaining and will probably drink them all in the next 18 months, it is that delicious and perfectly balanced. I don't doubt it will age but I love it now.
ITB

User avatar
Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15378
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#13 Post by Paul McCourt » June 13th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 2:54 am
Yea it’s pretty outstanding.

Also, a wine to grab by the case - I’ve grabbed two - is the Coudoulet de Beaucastel. At $25 or so, a crazy good house wine!
totally agree.
PauLeeeenda 2020

Rauno E (NZ)
Posts: 1392
Joined: March 13th, 2012, 12:32 am

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#14 Post by Rauno E (NZ) » June 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Good to hear - I've not bought for probably around 10 vintages, so could be time to dip back in
Rauno Engel

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1917
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#15 Post by Robert M yers » June 13th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Are these now safe for us Brett averse drinkers? I’ve always stayed away due to my uncertainty.

User avatar
Robert Love
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 205
Joined: August 9th, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#16 Post by Robert Love » June 14th, 2019, 6:13 am

Robert M yers wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:57 pm
Are these now safe for us Brett averse drinkers? I’ve always stayed away due to my uncertainty.
Beaucastel has been clean for awhile now.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19823
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#17 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 14th, 2019, 7:55 am

Robert Love wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 6:13 am
Robert M yers wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:57 pm
Are these now safe for us Brett averse drinkers? I’ve always stayed away due to my uncertainty.
Beaucastel has been clean for awhile now.
This.

But given my signature, my opinion should be accorded no consideration.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13928
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: The Best Young Beaucastel!

#18 Post by Craig G » June 14th, 2019, 8:39 am

Robert Love wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 6:13 am
Robert M yers wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:57 pm
Are these now safe for us Brett averse drinkers? I’ve always stayed away due to my uncertainty.
Beaucastel has been clean for awhile now.
Maybe the testing hasn’t caught up with the doping yet.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”