TN: 2017 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

• 2017 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (6/12/2019)
    A touch of volatility punches up violet and red berry fruits into the nostrils. Cherry and berry fruit flavours abound on the palate and it has some stalk and meat too. It is silky of texture and crunchy on the finish. An engaging wine playing nicely in that space between sweet and savoury.

Posted from CellarTracker

Drank the 06 from magnum a couple of weekends ago - bought in 2008. Not brilliantly clear - but then they rarely are when bottled! A nose that only a mother could love - but the colour and flavour were young and very delicious!

Just grabbed some 17s…thanks for the note

Coincidentally, just tasted this yesterday. Your note describes the wine nicely. As much attention as the 2016 got, I much prefer this 2017 version for it’s (to my tastes) more classic profile.

I’m curious: what do you mean by this? I ask because I seem to be the only one here who is generally not a fan of Foillard.

Really? How so? For me, they are both quite classic vintages, 2016 being cooler in profile, and 2017 sunnier. To my palate, the '17 needs a bit of time to settle down, whereas the 2016 is very fragrant and put together already. My mild preference for the '16 is shared by the Foillards, though I happily bought both vintages for my own cellar.

William, just personal preference. The 16 has a sunny streak of bright strawberry, over the darker Gamay foundation. That’s a note that pokes out a bit on my palate.

2017 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (5/28/2020)
– one glass poured out of bottle 1 hour before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 6 –

NOSE: quite ripe; slightly carbonic (less than usual for this bottling); little bit of leathery funk (again, less than usual for this wine); hint of earthy musk. Day 6: strong strawberry note has stepped to the forefront.

BODY: dark ruby color of medium to medium-deep depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: lightly tannic; moderate amount of the usual funk I find in this wine; red-fruited; I love this. Day 6: funk is pretty much entirely gone now, leading me to think it was reduction. Drink Now with lots of air, or continue to Hold.

Nobody writes Beaujolais notes like Jeremy…awesome.

I’ve got only Foillard’s Eponym from ‘17 but after reading this thread, I want to crack one now!

Admittedly not much of a gamay drinker but occasionally gets swept into the bandwagon whenever they happen to pass by.

My recent TN on a very good 2009 Foillard: