TN: 2005 Clos Saron Pinot Noir Home Vineyard (USA, California, Sierra Foothills)

• 2005 Clos Saron Pinot Noir Home Vineyard
    - USA, California, Sierra Foothills (6/9/2019)
    This is about as good as it gets! 14 year old pinot that is in a perfect place. It is perfectly poised between secondary and tertiary aged perfection. I open the bottle and love the clear light red color, slightly limpid. The wine has aromas of a warm kitchen where tons of holiday desserts are being baked. It reminds me of a dirt road in a dry forest on a spring day. There is pretty red cherry fruit that is cool and deep, inviting, with more spices and rose petal. The swallow is enchanting, and lovely, and compelling. As I drink the wine I cannot figure which trait is more compelling. Is it the lovely aroma of holiday spice, roses, and primal forest, or is it the beautiful, pure, bright, and delicious, dark red cherry pinot fruit? Great job Gideon and Clos Saron! (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Please forgive my gushiness on this, this wine just really got to me!

What a fantastic and highly descriptive note, Charlie. I love the, “…dirt road in a dry forest on a spring day…” because it really does evoke a certain smell.

Sounds awesome. I love their pinots. They are like a living thing, and a true reflection of the site and the owner. If you ever get a chance to visit with Gideon there, I couldn’t recommend it more highly, one of the best winery visits I’ve ever had.

@M. Dildine think this is almost walking distance to your home?

Dude, that’s a helluva note. Felt like I was standing on that dirt road!

This is one of my favorite wines!

Thank you Brandon. You get it for sure. There is nothing like that smell. I spend much of the year in a temperate rain forest in North Carolina, and that smell is ever on my mind.

Chris, to say, “it is a living thing…”, is saying it better than I did in 5 words. That is a perfect way to describe this wine. I am on Gideon’s library list, and he sends some gems sometimes. I owe a note on the sublime, nearly perfect 1995 C/S.

Thanks Scott. I spend a ton of time on clay and dirt roads, and there is really a perception that they have that comes through on a lot of wines I love!

Berry, long time. I too love this wine. Thanks Man.