What wine with grilled octopus?

What would you drink with:
WOOD GRILLED OCTOPUS castelvetrano olives, salsa verde, fresh pepperoni, chilled legumes
This fellow suggests Gruner as a match for the olives, but I doubt I’ll find one on the list and I don’t have any in the cellar:

How about:
WHOLE GRILLED BRANZINO herb relish, campari tomatoes, shaved fennel grilled lemon

Those are challenging preparations.

The octopus could work with lots of things except there’s an ingredient to kill any wine. The branzino could work with various Italian whites.

Albariño

Keep it simple. Focus on the food, with the wine as a complement.

Assyrtiko from Santorini (Hatzidakis, Sigalas, Argyros, Gaia).

1 Like

+1
Def this.
And with just a little age.

1 Like

Whenever I am challenged with a food pairing which leans toward a white wine, I always choose a skin fermented white. It always amazes me how the texture, phenolics and aromatics seem to work with difficult dishes.

Will a skin fermented white (orange wine) work with the octopus prep, can’t say for sure but I bet it will

Tom

beer, Negra Modelo then some nice Pedro Ximénez after dinner?

+2 - the best match with grilled octopus

Like the Albarino and Assyrtiko suggestions.

Pedro Ximinez goes over vanilla ice cream. Leftovers go over pancakes the next morning.

I’m not sure if the olives will throw this pairing off, but if they weren’t there, I think a dry or young off-dry (depending on how much heat you’re getting from the salsa) Riesling would be great.

Any white from the north of Spain.

Hmm…dry Sherry!

Amontillado

+3 my first thought as well–Soave, preferably Pieropan also comes to mind.

I’ve had it in Spain with sherry and also with Txakolina, Vino Verde both red and white, Albarino, Godello, and red Rioja. And I would imagine that a good crisp white from Greece or Italy would be pretty good too, or a rosé.

Makes me hungry to think about it - it’s been ages since I’ve had it.

Txakolina almost never fails with octopus. If you prefer lower acidity I like the whites from Campania; Falanghina, Greco and Fiano.

For red, Puglia Primitivo like Fataline.

+1 on the Amontillado. Would be my choice or maybe even a fino.

Actually, Manzanilla, but any of the coastal Mediterranean whites mentioned will work , plus Greco, Falanghina, Fiano, Vermentino, Verdicchio…

This; or txakolin.

I would indeed open a Grüner Veltliner (Gobelsburg - Ried Lamm), but if it´s not available …
why not a white Hermitage or a Condrieu ?