bead and mousse

Ployez-Jacquemart Extra Brut Rosé Champagne:

I like that bottling. What did you think of it?

We like it a lot, Jeff. Turned on to this bottling by some positive comments here. My daughter dropped by the other day bringing lunch and I impromptu’d a half bottle for the three of us. She told me after that she is not really a champagne fan and was very surprised how much she enjoyed this one. She mentioned especially the fine bubbles! She made the video that I posted. I was thinking a bit whether the fine bubbles and froth are typically found in the “better” champagnes? Of course the flavor and balance have to also be there, but the “bead and mousse” seem to add something special to the mouthfeel and the enjoyment!

BTW, my daughter asked if I could recommend some champagnes to her that were like this and not too pricey . . . what have I done?

I am not an expert, but I think fine bubbles are a hallmark of better made sparklers. Tell your daughter it is a slippery slope…

Don Ho agrees!

Size of bead is an issue of debate in champagne. According to Delamotte and Salon’s cellar master, the key to a perfect fine bead is secondary fermentation at a controlled 9 degrees celsius. To cold and no significant bead. To hot and a fat bead. Allegedly.

Here’s some info on getting a good mousse if you want to nerd out hard re the process.
https://ioc.eu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ConseilsMT_EN-1.pdf

I’ve also noticed a better mousse once Champagnes have had a lot of air. Recent case in point for me was a bottle of Pol Roger Brut NVs that was about 2/3 consumed on day 1 and then put in the fridge overnight. Next day the bead was much more fine and the mousse was significantly more creamy. Repeated it with another bottle a week later with very similar results.

Happens with coke bottles too…

air out of balloon.gif
champagne.gif

Am I missing something? Sure. Champagne, Coke, sparkling water or anything else carbonated. That’s basic science. Not sure how that warrants a “letting air out of the balloon” response.

Jason, all you are missing is my attempt at humor. . .
My response was to KJJ for bringing up that the “bead and mousse” I was singing praises about in champagne could be also be found in Coke. It was intended in the spirit of “you let the air out of my balloon” or “you rained on my parade” . . . still seems pretty funny to me, but I’ll take your feedback that maybe not ! Best, -Jim

Ah, got it. Sorry for over-reacting then Jim.

If it’s any consolation Jim, I thought it was funny.

Seems like a lot of members are looking to be indignant or offended instead of getting the jokes, so you’re in good company Jason.