TN: When Tom Hill comes to town

Last week I finally got to meet fellow physicist and fellow KC area native Tom Hill, and to nerd out with some off the beaten path stuff (what else?).

Trauben, Liebe, und Zeit, Rot No. 6, Strohmeier NV
75% Zweigelt, 25% Blauer Wildbacher; my first experience with the later grape. Medium garnet. Nose of game and autumnal / forest floor notes, dried blackberry, and plum, with tobacco leaf and spices; dark and heady. On the palate, loads of fresh blackberry, cranberry/currant, and plum, with forest floor, tobacco leaf, and spice. Medium-full bodied, dark, juicy, very savory, with lots of mineral, spice, and tannin on a finish with good length; generous acidity. Has some unresolved fermentation funk initial, but otherwise delightful. 3 Stars [9/6/19]

Harrington, Misteri, Sumu Kaw Vineyard, El Dorado County 2018
Made from an unidentifiable Sicilian grape (initially believed to be Nerello Mascalese), and a small amount of Grenache. Light garnet. On the nose, lots of smokey (volcanic?) earth, and dark berries, all with savory, sanguine notes. On the palate, lots of very savory blackberry, black cherry, cola, plum, spice, and earthy mineral. Medium-light bodied but with good presence; juicy, savory; earth and mineral driven. Reminds me a bit of Montepulciano. I love the savory presence. 3.5 Stars [9/6/19]

Dozortsev, Kindzmarauli, Kakheti NV
From Georgia, made from the Saperavi grape. Dark ruby with a touch of purple. Off dry, with cassis, blackberry jam, and plum, with spice and mineral. Medium bodied with some good grip and presence; good underlying acidity and rusticity. Will appeal to modern-style California Cabernet drinkers. I like this a lot, and am very impressed. 3 Stars [9/6/19]

Violet Freres, Byrrh, Grand Quinquina NV
Black raspberry / black cherry with herbs / flowers, and prominent bitter but not at all off-putting quinine notes. Like an herb-infused port. Will appeal to Manhattan (cocktail) drinkers. A unique and exceptional aperitif. 3.5 Stars [9/6/19]

And a Wee Bloody Pulpit: Tom is an extraordinarily friendly guy (not that anyone here would doubt that!) who “fenced” with my kids using tinker toys. He fit right in at our place. :smiley:

I hope he did not show your kids his codpiece. They would need intensive psychiatric intervention.
My first sight of Tom was at a Templeton B&B at HdR 2001 and he was playing basketball with the host’s son whom I want to recall as “Connor” or “Spencer” but I am sure I am wrong. Tom was wearing short white gym shorts like the NBA wore in the era of Larry Bird and knee high white athletic socks but he still put on quite a show of impressive dribbling and agility (given his paleolithic age way back then)j.
I suppose it is is long both faded and forgotten, but many years ago I had my mother, a decent and very creative artist, paint a red “Trucker’s Buddy” for Tom to use as a spittoon with a likeness of Tom fencing painted upon it. I handed it to him at the 2002 HdR and he was most surprised and flattered.
My mother is now 81 and in failing health. Her artwork will endure, regardless of whether Tom’s faded spittoon has been kept and maintained.

Wow, off the beaten path indeed! I have no clue what the last two are, particularly the ‘Byrrh’ - how did you even FIND this stuff?

Tom picked these up at Gomer’s Midtown in Kansas City, so you can blame Jim Coley.

Holy cow, I never thought about a visit from Tom Hill.

I better transfer some wine from the cellar to the garage!

_

Thanks for the great tasting note, he seems like a wonderful chap.

He has an amazing amount of energy for anyone of any age! Pretty darn high alcohol tolerance as well. Whenever he stops by its always a thousand questions! Truly a legend.

Yup, Mitch. The kid’s name was “Skyler” or “Sky”. After some early adult drug issues, he turned his life around and got back on track. I still keep in touch with his Mom, Diane Garth, at Country House Inn.
Your Mom’s hand-painted spittoon still exists. Alas, the paint was not alcohol tolerant and started to come off. I’ll see if I can put up a pic when I get home.
Tom

Todd,
The Byrrh is an aromatized wine made in the Catalan region of France. Alcoholic and fairly sweet. Flavored with Quinine and aromatic mountain herbs. Not nearly as cough syrup like as most Barolo Chinatos. Very exotic stuff to drink neat or in mixed drinks. Imported by AlpenHaus out of Edina, MN. They distribute in Calif I know. Not hard to track down.
Tom

It has happened to many of us.

You got any particle accelerators in Chico that could justify his trip?

Ryan,
Your TN’s are pretty consistent with my take on the wines. Will post two of mine when I get home.
It was a great outing for me. Visited Ryan’s observatory and talked astronomy for almost two hrs. Gotta say I learned quite a lot about modern astronomy. Amazing what a small observatory can accomplish.
The wines were a lot of fun to taste. But best of all we’re the kids. I could get as goofy as I wanted with them. When you’re still a kid yourself and haven’t grown up (yet)…
Almost got arrested going home. Drove onto a (unmarked) restricted area of the Federal Penitentiary in Leavenworth and this big guy was gonna arrest me. But I got out by telling him my Uncle was the Warden there in the ‘50’s (he was merely a guard). I would love to see the inside of that old building… but not in shackles.
Thanks for a great afternoon, Ryan. We’ Do it again.
Tom

Next time put up the bat signal.

Wow—my kind of night: wine and astronomy! I sold out during freshman year and pivoted from astrophysics to finance/investments, but have had my share of 3am star hopping adventures. We’ll definitely have to open some bottles if you guys ever get to Chicago! (Sorry about the light pollution)