1999 Boillot Volnay 1er Cru ‘Brouillards’

Spur-of-the-moment need for a light red wine as an aperitif. This worked.

Pop and pour. Surprisingly dark color for 20 year Volnay. Aromas were fully secondary, with red cherries, a hint of black raspberry and a little sous-bois. The palate was surprisingly fresher than the aromas. Quite light in body, pleasant fruit is now almost entirely red, with some strawberry. Balanced, agreeable, a little simple, but served the purpose of whetting the appetite before a lunch of lobster and haddock with local craft beers. Rated 87.5, fully mature but no signs of imminent decay. An oddball singleton, I had hoped for a little more considering vintage, producer and village, but it was fit for purpose.
FWIW, I have never found any great or maybe even fine wines from Brouillards. Officially on the same level as Clos de Ducs, Caillerets and Clos des Chenes, but unofficially please let me know if I should ever invest in another bottle from this site.

Dan Kravitz

Louis? Henri? Lucien?
Can’t recall ever buying a Brouillards, and I do buy and consume my fair share of Volnay.

I do recall having a very good 1999 Louis Boillot Volnay premier cru when in Dijon in 2006. My memory is that it was quite dense and opulent, but don’t recall the vineyard.