Dinner at Marche` Moderne w/ 02` Cristal and 93` Williams Selyem RRV Pinot

After a fabulous dinner with a great group of wine centric guys at The Winery in Newport Beach, Roelanda and I enjoyed our own night out on the town the next night at the highly recommended French bistro restaurant, Marche` Moderne.

There were also some strong recommendations for going to Taco Maria and we actually considered going there for lunch as well, but enough is enough and we`ll do that one during the next visit.

As is our MO, we take a fine champagne and great red Burgundy or Williams Selyem Pinot made by our dear friend, Burt Williams, which means from 97 or older. On this night it was 02 Cristal and 93` WS RRV:

2002 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- were kind of getting spoiled on Cristal lately having had a bottle of the 09 last week and I tasted the 08 repeatedly at Wallys Grande Marque Champagne event last week; this was another great bottle and maybe the best 02` I’ve had; it had somewhat mature notes of rich and toasty lemon zest with a honey like sweetness and texture; white peach flavors joined in with a touch of saline in the background; it gave and gave generously, still expanding after an hour from opening; simply delicious bubbly.

fullsizeoutput_244a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2448.jpeg
1993 WILLIAMS SELYEM RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR- I thought I had pulled 93` Precious Mountain out of the 2 bottle deep shelf racking, but upon arrival, discovered it was the RRV and after opening it up and taking in the first aromas, I was really happy this was on the table; the fill was very high neck; the color was a bright translucent red; the nose was redolent of cinnamon laced red cherry and strawberry which on the palate gave way to spicy red raspberry and then past mid palate, red cherry comes back in and completes the deal; this bottle showed no signs of aging st age 26 and was very precious.

fullsizeoutput_244b.jpeg
We sent a small amount of each bottle back to the kitchen and received raves and gratitude in return.

The restaurant is a winner. On a Thursday night, it was packed and many tables turned twice. The food is presented exquisitely and prepared with precision and creative expressions along with beautifully balanced seasoning. We shared a beet salad and each ordered Coq au Vin {the vegetarian type of course}. We`d be going here often it is was nearer to Santa Barbara, but to enjoy it on a one time basis made it even more special.

fullsizeoutput_244d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2452.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_245e.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake

fullsizeoutput_2453.jpeg

Very nice Blake! Good to see you and come back soon!

Thursday is the best day!

Thanks Steve. I’ve shared some of our Wednesday night details with friends who are a part of the 3 wine groups here in SB I’m involved with and they are all in agreement, there are some special groups around doing what we do with like kind and passion AND how cool it would be for any of you to come visit and participate in one of our outings. You all have a standing invite.

Especially Brig, the one after the Wednesday we shared although I have to admit, I had a vapor trail aura around me all day Thursday.