Pythagorean cup and wine - Do you know any other inventions/patents/mechanisms about wine?

As the title reveals, I read about the Pythagorean cup (Pythagorean cup - Wikipedia) and was amazed byt its simplicity and connection to wine habits. (briefly, a Pythagorean cup looks like a normal drinking cup, except that the bowl has a central column in it, giving it a shape like a Bundt pan. The central column of the bowl is positioned directly over the stem of the cup and over the hole at the bottom of the stem. A small open pipe runs from this hole almost to the top of the central column, where there is an open chamber. The chamber is connected by a second pipe to the bottom of the central column, where a hole in the column exposes the pipe to (the contents of) the bowl of the cup. When the cup is filled, liquid rises through the second pipe up to the chamber at the top of the central column, following Pascal’s principle of communicating vessels. As long as the level of the liquid does not rise beyond the level of the chamber, the cup functions as normal. If the level rises further, however, the liquid spills through the chamber into the first pipe and out the bottom. Gravity then creates a siphon through the central column, causing the entire contents of the cup to be emptied through the hole at the bottom of the stem. Some modern toilets operate on the same principle: when the water level in the bowl rises high enough, a siphon is created, flushing the toilet.)

I was wondering if anyone knows any other inventions or patents or mechanisms that have been created for wine consumption/production and were innovative for their time.

If you could choose the height of the tubes, it would be a great way to teach people how to pour “tastes.”

I like tasting with my wife using a Nuremburg cup. We switch off on who’s top.

Could you give a link of description? I Google it but find nothing relevant about Nuremburg cup.

It’s my crap spelling…

Nuremberg Cup.

We use that if I am not being serious and drinking from my official drinking vessel.

I get now the comment about switching top. This is very interesting and definitely based on fine craftsmanship. I found one on Amazon although it is sold as a wedding accessory.

I like the glass you found.

It’s kinda fun finding odd drinking vessels.

If you ever visit Greece and especially Samos island, these cups are everywhere. I got mine for 7 euros.

Yeah, I created the corkscrew with a spinner and trapeze one night. She was about 5’1" and 95 lbs.
Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I found these pictures of some innovative products related to wine.

Haven’t had my coffee yet so feeling a bit dense. What is the Pythagorean cup for? Surely it’s easier to empty a glass by rotating about a horizontal axis than pouring in more wine.

Here is a video showing its function

Check out this ancient Chinese drinking vessel, with protrusions to stab you in the eyes if you tilt it at too aggressive an angle. I’ve tried a plastic reproduction, and it really forces you to pay attention when you lift your glass to drink [cheers.gif]

bronze.jpg

Maybe to keep guests from getting rowdy by limiting their pours?

IMG_4421.JPG

“What is the Pythagorean cup for?”

It’s the original dribble glass. Those wacky ancient Greeks.

Amazing construction. Was it a judge who thought of this? A judge who’d seen too many drunk people? I wonder…