TN: 2016 Domaine Faury St. Joseph Vieilles Vignes

• 2016 Domaine Faury St. Joseph Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (6/8/2019)
    Decanted 2 hrs. At first pour, this seemed almost 2015-ish, very dark in color, ripe berry scents, the sweetness of oak. An hour later in the decanter, completely different story. All fruits scents were replaced by an alluring combo of licorice and bay leaf, a little tire rubber and bit of muskiness. I just loved the energy here, spry, and medium bodied. Red fruit but in the black spectrum, very fresh and floral. Closes with some tannin and a nice touch of white pepper on the finish. Well behaved, but it seemed there was something playful and wild on the edges, reminding me of bringing home a friend to your parents for dinner, and just cringing if he (or she) lets loose an off color joke or the like. Loved this and happy to have two more for the next decade. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note dale. My “only problem” with this wine is that it’s so damned good already that I’ll need to get it away from my hands quickly

Indeed Keith, such is how we suffer for our passions :slight_smile:

BTW - I haven’t cracked it open yet, but i have it on reliable source that the 16 Faury St Joe Blanc is well worth seeking out.

One of the wine world’s great QPRs, especially so in 2015 and 2016.

2016 Domaine Faury St. Joseph Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (4/10/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 days –

NOSE: very young and “purple” — grapey; a touch high-toned; medium+ expressiveness; stereotypical St. Joseph aroma.

BODY: violet color of medium-depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: drying tannin; stereotypical St. Joseph — would probably be my call if tasted blind; savory/briny; purple-fruited; light garrigué/leather; medium acidity; 13% alc. not noticeable; materially the same on Day 2 as on Day 1. Gut impression score: 90 – 91.

These wines tend to age very nicely, so while I haven’t had the '16, I think you’re about 10 years too early. The 2006 is getting close to peak, for example, but not quite there yet.

Good to know; thanks, Marshall. I’ve two bottles remaining, so this’ll get a chance to teach me that which it has to teach. I wanted to open one young to see what the situation is, as this is my first Faury. [cheers.gif]

Great value juice! Always nice to see other impressions.

I’ve had this in my hands no less than 10 times in the past few months. Happy to sit on them.

Spotted the 17 (I think it was) Faury St. Joseph VV and grabbed one just to see what it was like. Reduced, encore petillant, not even ready for early term drinking. I am pretty sure based on that they do need some time, although the 16 at least sounds enjoyable…

I had the '17 regular St. Jo about a month ago. It was great. Super young, but vibrant and kind of wild. I loved it, but I’m torn about whether to try another young or let them age. I also have the VV, but no intention of opening it soon.

How big of a difference is there between VV and regular? I’ve had the '17 regular recently and really enjoyed it. Wonder if I should seek out VVs going forward.

Both good…V.V. is a bit more serious, especially on the back palate/ finish. Worth the extra tariff to me as that’s what I tend to value, the more contemplative wines.

I thought the 2016 VV was super approachable two weeks ago. Similar to Brian’s note. Very Very surprising.

The VV usually has a bit more depth and structure, and is usually more tightly-wound when young. The regular is no slouch either, though…a bottle of 2005 consumed recently was delicious and nicely complex.

I have the 2016 VV on hand at home, may have to open it soon.

Yep. That was my impression, as well: very young, but approachable.

Has anyone tried the ‘18 VV yet? (My bottles arrived yesterday and I’m thinking about popping one this weekend.)