TN: 2010 Jean-Marc Burgaud Morgon Côte du Py (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

Well my surprise of the year so far is here without a doubt. I guess I was yet to have my “aged” Beaujolais epiphany (surely there are some who do not consider 9 years aged) so likely it was only a matter of time. Nevertheless this was nothing short of a complete wine on day 2 and just a great pleasure. The word pinoté is sometimes used for Gamay but despite showing many signs of development I don’t think I would ever guess this blind to be a Pinot. That’s not to take anything away from it as I think it is just a fabulous wine in its own right. I have a couple more 2010 Bojos of this style in the cellar and I just got a whole lot more excited about them.

• 2010 Jean-Marc Burgaud Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (8.6.2019)
    Popped and poured, found very tight and reserved so only had a glass and refrigerated for 24h until trying again. Awesome and intriguing on the nose: sour-ish red fruits (cherry, tart strawberry), orange peel, damp leaves and tar. Autumnal, characterful. On the palate medium-bodied and extremely appropriately portioned. Dry and savory with lively, lifting acidity and moderate tannic grip. Despite being very far from your typical “vin de soif” Beaujolais this has plenty of fruit of the most bright and attractive kind and despite being quite structured this also manages to has that uplifting quality one looks for in a Bojo. This is just exemplary and makes a very strong case for cellaring wines of its ilk.

Posted from CellarTracker

Welcome to the world of Beaujolais! The good ones reward cellaring in a way that few other wines do, partly because they change relatively quickly, as you’re finding. Good stuff to cellar if you have a few producers you like.

Thanks Greg! [cheers.gif]

I don’t know how much new vintages I will be looking to buy given that I already have way too much wine that require cellaring but as I will be touring France for three weeks soon I will definitely keep my eyes open for older Beaujolais when raiding those small old wine shops with just tons of cases and bottles in seemingly no apparent order.

What I was left wondering after this one was how far away it might have been from its actual peak given that on day 1 it was not very approachable at all. Would it have come around in a similar fashion had I given it an hour or two in the decanter? If I open soon my remaining 2010s (Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis and Domaine des Terres Dorées Moulin-à-Vent) should I be ready to give them the same treatment?

Would you please share your favorite domaines for cellaring and what kind of drinking windows you usually give them?