What's the Best top end non-DRC red Burgundy?

If someone wants to try a top of the line red burgundy at a ridiculous price to see what all the fuss is about but doesn’t want to pay the DRC ticket, what producer should he look at? Asking for a friend. Really!

Oops, typo fixed.

Rousseau Chambertin or Clos de Beze.
Vogue Musigny
Roumier Bonnes Mares
Mugnier Amoureuses

domaine serene out of oregon. it beat out drc multiple times.

what suzanne said along with dujac clos de la roche, roumier amoureuses, grivot richebourg, cathiard malconsorts, mugnier musigny, etc.

yep. Similar to above suggestions:

Rousseau (Chambertin or Beze)
Roumier (Bonnes Mares or Amoureuses)
Mugnier (Musigny or Amoureuses)
Dujac (CDLR or CSD)
Cathiard RSV
Fourrier ‘Griotte’
Rouget ‘Parantoux’
Meo ‘Richebourg’

Suzanne - What was that Richebourg you gave me in Chicago?

[rofl.gif]

You don’t “find” Burgundy…it will find you! [tumbleweed.gif]

From what’s not yet been mentioned; from recent vintages I would go for La Romanee (Liger-Belair), Cros-Parantoux (Rouget) or maybe Meo-Camuzet’s Richebourg. Or Leroy if they’re that way inclined.

For older wines there’s always Jayer…

Ed. yep - I see that some of these were already mentioned…

Aside from the excellent suggestions above you might try Liger Belair. My experience is limited to their VR Reignots.

edited to add: I see Eric ninja’ed me on the LB suggestion.

LeRoy

1 Like

not to be Nathan here, but many of the wines mentioned are as stupidly priced as DRC now is. I got an offer for 99 Roumier Bonnes Mares today for $4000 per bottle. I paid about $110 on release.

If I were buying: Arnoux Suchots. Grand cru quality.

What do you mean by the DRC ticket? Any DRC or just the Romanee Conti?

that was a magnum of 2000 Denis Mugneret Richebourg- he’s not a player.

adding the Mugneret Gibourg Ruchottes as a generally great bottle of burgundy

i purposely didn’t include liger-belair and leroy because they are on par with drc in terms of pricing

Good point.

Do I look stupid? Don’t answer that. I said I was asking for a friend and I really meant it. He’s general counsel of a financial institution many of you have heard of. his wife, on the other hand, is more sensible and loves Saxum.

I don’t know. He asked me about Domaine Lamarche Grand Rue GC instead of unspecified DRC, which I knew nothing about, so we agreed to ask the question in the form I posed it.

in that case, start him off with fourrier

[wink.gif]

jay
from all the years on the boards you really need help with this one?
the answers all seem pretty obvious unless you have a significantly different/lower price point in mind in which case maybe give a cap?

If there’s any Fourrier you’d like to give up cheap, let me know [snort.gif]