How long after vintage are vintage Ports realeased?

I just read Neal Martin’s article over on Vinous in which he wrote about the recently-declared 2017 vintage in Portugal, mainly focusing on a handful of Vintage Ports. I’ve never been a serious Port buyer, but I sure like the stuff. I’m sitting on a few 1994s and 2000s. However, those were bought way, way after they were released. So, my simple question is how long after a vintage declaration is VP usually hitting the market? Is buying similar to Bordeaux? TIA

Vintage port spends two years in wood and then is bottled. The release to the public for sale is usually in the third or fourth year after the vintage.

It’s for sale right now en primeur. I’ve received offers from no less than 10 merchants in the UK and they have also been popping up as ‘futures’ in the US. Delivery will be fall 2019.

The 2017’s will be out this late summer.

The will be on retail shelves early fall

USA

Be prepared to invest years if not decades into Vintage Ports. Backfill and maybe cellar a few for later if you are young. Old Port is currently undervalued.

This has probably been mentioned several times here, but why buy and cellar vintage port for decades when you can pick up 20+ year old vintage Port for near release price? It really only goes up in value after 35 or 40 years, and even then only the top houses command a premium. 1985 and 1994 were great years and are still pretty cheap.

Port has really gained in popularity the last few years. Prices are way up. One reason, other than quality, that two consecutive declarations have occurred is that interest, sales, and prices are up.

That’s right. The great vintages that are ready to drink (and 1985 is far from a great vintage, though the wines are ready to drink) are now generally much more expensive than they were just a few years ago. I don’t buy much young Vintage Port, but I do think they’re worth buying and trying to be patient with. I see them as wines to drink when I’m older. Much older. I wish I had given them more thought when I first started collecting.

Early fall is about right for US retail.

Port producers have reported a large increase in interest in Port. Just tried my first sample of a pre-release 2017 vintage last night.

I’m glad these wines are seeing some interest again. It’s well deserved.