TN: 2015 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Old Vine Bedrock Vineyard

2015 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Old Vine Bedrock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (6/4/2019)
Once & Future wines always present a bit of a perception conundrum. It’s hard to shake the idea that they are Ravenswood with a different label. When the wine comes from the Bedrock vineyard, the Bedrock Wine Co baggage comes along for the ride. It takes real effort to clear the slate, and evaluate the wine on its own merits.

It’s still very early on for the 2015 O&F Bedrock Zinfandel, but it’s all systems go. Black and red fruits are captured in a structural frame of acid and tannin, with warm herb and earth accents coming in on the aromatics and from the mid-palate through he finish. Going back to the mental influences, I would put the wine at 75% Ravenswood and 25% Bedrock. ;^)

Posted from CellarTracker

We had the 2014 yesterday and it was delicious

Nice note David and mirrors my experience with the 15. Interesting I had the 14 and 15 each a few months after release. The 14 was coiled up tight and not yielding much even after a couple days though the raw material is certainly there. The 15 was (is) the complete opposite, young but already drinking well just as your note indicates.

I wonder how the 14 OnF Petite Sirah is doing. Have a couple bottles of that as well.

Tom

Nice note David. I’ve been super happy with the O&F bottles I’ve tried so far, and feel like you described the zin perfectly (both flavor profile and winemaking).

Tom, I opened two bottles of the 14 PS late last year and was shocked at how accessible/well they were drinking (opened the 2nd one to make sure it wasnt a fluke. It was not). My 1st/quick note below. If you have multiples, feel free to let one rip.

‘Surprisingly, this bottle was wide open with dusty blue fruits, a nice amount of acidity, and a long finish. Tannins, while definitely present, were not overwhelming. A very impressive and very tasty PS that should age well for a long time’

What’s the baggage? And by that, I mean other than the father-son, historical wine-making element.

The perception of the Bedrock version of the wine.

Ah, OK. Understood. The term ‘baggage’ had a somewhat pejorative side to it so I wondered if there was a back-story to which I was not privy.

I plan on opening both the O&F Bedrock Vineyard and the Bedrock Bedrock Vineyard to do a side-by-side comparison. Will start with the 2014 sometime soon and move on to the 2015 next year…