TotalWine BDX Futures LIVE

Total Wine just released 2018 LLC at 2pm local time (PST). Definitely picked up some- the Chateau reports 2016 plus, plus (#frenchaccent)

Even though I’ve only started buying futures since 2015 vintage, the current vintage buying market feels like a totally different ballgame. Anyone else feeling the squeeze on wine available? Pontet Canet already sold out…

Hopefully, they’ll live up to the hype in bottle…

I called this morning and was told Cos D’Estournel should be out any day now, along with Montrose. The two others on my radar.

https://concierge.totalwine.com/bordeaux-futures

I’ve been happy with my Total Wine Futures orders - 3 years and counting, though I haven’t purchased '17 or '18 from them, only '14-16. Just picked up my last of the '16 futures last week

2018 Pichon Lalande at $180 per. Goddamn.

got the email and by time I had sat down at my computer and clicked the link the Ch Canon was already sold out. Literally 2 minutes.

this is pretty much in line with what I’ve seen from other retailers too. damn rave reviews.

is Total Wine cheaper than others? 2018 bdx futures are available at a bunch of places?

wow… u can get 2009/2010 for close to that… dang…

I’ve found them to be comparable, but they only require 50% down which is nice.

I just happened to check the website yesterday afternoon and most of the futures were already available.

Am I misunderstanding this because I still see Canon available?

Canon is available - only Rauzan went crazy fast. A few others have sold out as well.

Their website had an issue when Canon went live so it showed sold out but has since been fixed.

I’m new to BDX Futures. I usually purchase my Bordeaux’s on pre-release (a few months before it hits the store) or shortly after the current release (ie purchased a few 2016s in 5/2019). However, this year I decided to purchase a few futures because my son was born in 2018 and I figured if I was ever going to try a future this was the year. So far I’ve purchased a Canon Mag, a Prichon Lalande Mag and a 750 ml Las Cases, all from Total Wine Concierge. I bought on Total Wine because I was enticed by the 50% down and not 100%.

My thought was the magnums will age a little longer and I’m hopeful to cellar for several decades.

Since I’m new to futures, are there some bottles that significantly increase in price after bottle scores are in and the wine is released? Usually when I purchase my Bordeaux’s in the same year as the release the few I’ve purchased were only a few dollars over Wine Spectator’s listed price or is the listed price the release price and not what it would have been at the time of a future purchase? Also, are futures best for formats other than 750ml that I usually don’t see at retail (ie 375 and 1.5L)?

Thanks for the guidance on the thought of purchasing futures.

hmm maybe i was TOO fast. gonna have to take a look again!

You sometimes see one or two that will pop from the future pricing, but in all honestly, you can usually pick most up years later for the future pricing or future pricing + average yearly storage cost (provenance is the only issue). Especially with TW, you sometimes can even grab them cheaper from the shelves with a 15-20% coupon, although they seem to have started to adjust prices up to account for that. Think futures are good for .375s particularly or if you really, really want one or two produces that could see a pop. Other than PLL and Sociando that I tend to always buy, I generally wait until I can taste the vintage/producers and then purchase what I want once they hit shelves or even a few years later - still purchasing 2014s as I see good deals. Although, PLL seems to be in the category where I should start buying futures.

Since I’m new to futures, are there some bottles that significantly increase in price after bottle scores are in and the wine is released? Usually when I purchase my Bordeaux’s in the same year as the release the few I’ve purchased were only a few dollars over Wine Spectator’s listed price or is the listed price the release price and not what it would have been at the time of a future purchase? Also, are futures best for formats other than 750ml that I usually don’t see at retail (ie 375 and 1.5L)?

The only scores that moved the prices were Parker’s scores. He’s not reviewing any more , so it’s a lot of noise from a horde of critics, none of whom really matter all that much in the world market. I stopped buying futures with the 2001 vintage, and the rationale today is only that you hope for good provenance. Price is almost irrelevant unless you’re dying to get a specific producer that you love. But if you avoid the first growths and super seconds, you don’t save anything and you lock up your money for a few years in advance. And then there are those few scammers who never deliver. Total is big enough that I’d trust them, but seriously, I’d just wait. And I assume you know which wines you like, but if you’re new to Bdx in general, I’d probably try some wines to figure out which ones I like and buy those when they’re available.

I believe Cos was released today…

Pontet is no longer listed on their site (I was able to order last week).

Lee B and Greg T

I appreciate the pointers on ordering futures and thanks for your responses.

FYI, Cos D’Estournel ($199) & Montrose ($175) is LIVE

Im taking a pass this vintage’s EP.
I dont see the value in it.