Does Modern Bdx Need 20-Years of Aging to Drink Well?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Keith Levenberg

Re: Does Modern Bdx Need 20-Years of Aging to Drink Well?

#101 Post by Keith Levenberg » June 9th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Oh, Bern's cellars are no colder than any other good wine cellar. Keep in mind the real oldies there spent their first few decades of life elsewhere, anyway. (They opened in the late '50s - obviously didn't buy their 1924s on futures.) So you, too, can have a Bern's-quality cellar! All you need is a good cooling unit, a few decades to spare, and unlimited buying power

Claus Jeppesen

#102 Post by Claus Jeppesen » June 10th, 2019, 7:28 am

Jeb Dunnuck wrote:
    June 9th, 2019, 6:39 am
    Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
    June 8th, 2019, 6:31 am
    Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
    June 8th, 2019, 6:09 am
    Okay, the 1987 NYT article was trash. Here’s a perspective which seems more aligned with the comments on this thread...

...I’ve had some Beaujolais from Bern’s that are 25+ years old...
    Dude, don't use Bern's as a reference point for drink windows... that place is like the twilight zone where time stops!
    https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/v ... &p=2590538
    Claus

Riesling and Slate

Panos Kakaviatos
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#103 Post by Panos Kakaviatos » June 14th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
    June 5th, 2019, 5:02 pm
    Some valid points, Noah.
    NoahR wrote:
    June 5th, 2019, 4:55 pm

I also think XXXX is totally off base with a statement that could only be made by someone who (to his credit, perhaps) tastes so much wine that he is dead to the stifling and mouthdrying effect of tannins. At some point you maybe cease noticing the fact that the back end of your wine is like the choke of an artichoke. Maybe after the 15th barrel sample. Or maybe you just only note the glycerin and plummy topnotes, which might explain why so many of the EP critics seem to have a sweet tooth in their ratings for merlot heavy wines - and they all do. Other than the “major critics” I don’t know a single collector who would routinely rate mid-level St-Emilions over the similarly priced Left Bank classified Growths.
    So I was just sorta panning the 2016 Lanessan for its dry oak astringency, and chuckling to see Panos’ CT note calling it “fresh and frank” but then acknowledging his tasting came on the heals of tasting “Grands Chene” - which ironically translates as “big oak”. It’s a sickly oaky wine, so I can see how the Lanessan tastes fresh and frank. It did not show that to me. And I like some of Panos’ writings. This one just was amusing given the perception of one following the another.
    Egads! I’ll need to retaste Lanessan 16’. Context counts and coming after Les Grands Chênes, I could have overplayed the comparison in favor of the former.
    I am mainly based in Europe, and thanks for reading wine-chronicles(.)com

Robert.A.Jr.
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#104 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 15th, 2019, 3:18 am

In all fairness, Panos, I need to try it again as well. I did that a couple times with the 2015 but never did take to it. I have some more Lanessan for sampling, along with the 2016 Cambon La Pelouse. I do not like giving up on either of these wines that have performed so admirably in the past for my narrow palate.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Return to “Wine Talk”