There is too much good German Riesling available

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
p. raghib

Re: There is too much good German Riesling available

#51 Post by p. raghib » June 4th, 2019, 3:43 pm

A.Gillette wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:33 am
For me, the current opportunity to buy German Riesling, particularly from the Mosel, is the greatest inefficiency in my wine journey. These are wines where the price could be raised significantly
I love the wines, and while they are still cheap to other regions I still can't over the uptick in some prices over the past 20yrs...I'm also not sure they could be priced that much higher because with fee exceptions the wines are not too difficult to source.

But no, you can't buy too much.
cheers'

-paul r.

J. Rock

#52 Post by J. Rock » June 4th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I've recently been hit incredibly hard by the Riesling bug and can't seem to get enough of it (seriously, I need another job to afford all of this wine). I think Riesling may be my favorite varietal and as there is so much great diversity within the varietal, I can see it taking up a very large portion of my collection. If you're in the Los Angeles area and need to unload any of your extra Riesling, let me know!
J o r d a n

J. Rock

#53 Post by J. Rock » June 4th, 2019, 5:10 pm

T Fletcher wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:41 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:57 am
T Fletcher wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:28 am
I've only discovered an appreciation for German Rieslings within the past 9 months. Over this time period, I'd say approx. 20% of my total wine purchases have been Rieslings. As others voiced, the only problem is my wife does not care much for them.

I'm working through different producers, regions and designations so I'm thankful for threads like this and David's posts on CT.
Have you tried your wife with the dry Rieslings as well? I have found that the population at large has an easier time making the transition into Riesling with those rather than kabinett, spatlese and above.
We've only done the Kabinett, Spatlese and even sweeter Auslese. I thought the Kabinett was considered "dry". Any recs?
Markus Molitor's White Kapsel Rieslings are all dry, regardless of the Pradikat classification (e.g., Kabinett, Spatlese). I think their Kabinett and Spatlese white kapsel's are a great way to dip your toes into dry Riesling as they are very reasonably priced and very good.
J o r d a n

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Kirk.Grant » June 4th, 2019, 5:19 pm

David_K wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 6:31 am
So many producers and styles, you can afford the very best, and the next vintage is always around the corner. I keep stockpiling the stuff. I do drink it regularly, but still, not as fast as I can buy it. It's currently at about 20% of the cellar. Has anyone ever looked back and thought they bought too much German Riesling?
David,

I love German Riesling. It accounts for 12% of my cellar and I'm trying to keep it to less than 600 bottles. It means I have to be selective in what I'm buying and I tend to drink less often than others here (maybe 1-2 times/week). I've never regretted buying as much as I do...usually the problem for me is that to keep things balanced and in check the number goes down each year as I try to age more of them.

In fact...the one regret I have right now is not buying more Keller GG's while they were easier to find & buy.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by T Fletcher » June 4th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:54 pm
T Fletcher wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

Have you tried your wife with the dry Rieslings as well? I have found that the population at large has an easier time making the transition into Riesling with those rather than kabinett, spatlese and above.
We've only done the Kabinett, Spatlese and even sweeter Auslese. I thought the Kabinett was considered "dry". Any recs?
No, kabinett is not generally dry unless it's labeled as kabinett trocken. Kabinett seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter at a lot producers, in fact. You might want to see what your wife thinks of the dry wines, as a lot of people can't get past the sweetness, despite the balance. Look for anything with trocken on the label, or Großes Gewächs (GG) which are basically the dry grand crus, though those will not be bone dry and are often more expensive. There are dozens of great producers of dry wine. Our favorites are Keller, Schafer-Frohlich and Emrich-Schonleber (they all make sweeter wines as well) but there are so many more. Schloss Lieser, Martin Mullen, Battenfeld Spanier spring to mind, just to name a very, very few. Even producers known for their sweets will often make dry as well, though I don't think they always excel at it.
Great education..thanks Sarah! I've had and enjoy Shafer-Frohlich...actually have two bottles of the Vulkangestein trocken so we'll try one of those next!
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by T Fletcher » June 4th, 2019, 6:06 pm

J. Rock wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 5:10 pm
T Fletcher wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

Markus Molitor's White Kapsel Rieslings are all dry, regardless of the Pradikat classification (e.g., Kabinett, Spatlese). I think their Kabinett and Spatlese white kapsel's are a great way to dip your toes into dry Riesling as they are very reasonably priced and very good.
Thanks Jordan! I have a bottle of Markus Molitor's white capsule. It's a Spatlese but we'll give that a whirl soon too.
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Howard Cooper » June 4th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:56 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 10:27 am

Too true! I got lucky in that my husband was working at Moore Brothers waaaay back when they were the only ones bringing in the dry Rieslings - and bringing them in with perfect provenance, thank goodness! - so his dowry came with a bunch of older bottles. But even for us, there isn't much with real age.
Interesting way to pick a spouse. Do an inventory of their wine cellar first. champagne.gif [winner.gif]
If you'd ever had his cooking, you would know his cellar wasn't first on his list of attractions. ;-)
[worship.gif]
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 4th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:48 am
alan weinberg wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:26 am
yes, way too much since the wife hates it.
Bad kind of metoo. This was fantastic over the weekend in Cupertino and my wife said "I know this is well-made and really great but I wouldn't buy it again"; hell, I'd bathe in it.

FCB45B22-F453-49F4-A9E2-A8C16DBAA5E8.jpeg
Damn skippy. That's great stuff!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Jim Stewart » June 4th, 2019, 6:35 pm

T Fletcher wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:28 am
I've only discovered an appreciation for German Rieslings within the past 9 months. Over this time period, I'd say approx. 20% of my total wine purchases have been Rieslings. As others voiced, the only problem is my wife does not care much for them.

I'm working through different producers, regions and designations so I'm thankful for threads like this and David's posts on CT.
Trent, my interest in Riesling has also taken place during the same time frame as you, although I have not focused on the German Rieslings in depth. Reading your comment about your wife sounded like something I would also say. FWIW, here is a TN of a Trocken that we tasted not too long ago. Good luck and good drinking. [cheers.gif] -Jim
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=160173&p=2716479&hi ... n#p2716479

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 4th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:25 am
I am selling quite a bit of wine at auction, but the estimates for the Rieslings were absurdly low considering the quality of the wines. 1971 Auslese for $80 from decent producers, 1975/6 same for less than $50. The estimates were based on what has sold, and so were correct. Do I value these wines more than the estimate? Absolutely. So not selling, and putting together a series of tastings to enjoy the wines
German wines are the orphan child; as the tide on most wines rise, Riesling (and Port) are sinkers. I am not sure the drinker part of me considers this to be a problem.
Mark, well said, this is a window into the "bizarro" world of wine quality, price, criticism, et. al. etc., etc. Riesling is, to me, the greatest, cheapest wine in the world. It is dumbfounding sometimes.

Russell Faulkner

#61 Post by Russell Faulkner » June 4th, 2019, 7:41 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:33 pm
Robert Dentice wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:49 am
There are a lot of great producers outside of and some not so good in the VDP.
This.
I can think of far more average to poor producers in the Grosser Ring than I can think of great ones who aren't in.

For the Mosel, it may be more true elsewhere, I follow other regions far less closely.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Josh Grossman » June 4th, 2019, 7:50 pm

I've become quite fond of Frühburgunder and Spätburgunder too. Here is hoping that there is soon too much good Spätburgunder available too. One of my top wines of 2019 was a 2003 Rudolf Fürst Centgrafenberg Frühburgunder "R".

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 4th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:49 am

There are a lot of great producers outside of and some not so good in the VDP.
Dr. Uli Stein

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 5th, 2019, 4:42 am

Charlie Carnes wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 6:32 pm
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:48 am
alan weinberg wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:26 am
yes, way too much since the wife hates it.
Bad kind of metoo. This was fantastic over the weekend in Cupertino and my wife said "I know this is well-made and really great but I wouldn't buy it again"; hell, I'd bathe in it.

FCB45B22-F453-49F4-A9E2-A8C16DBAA5E8.jpeg
Damn skippy. That's great stuff!
Sure was. For all intents and purposes unavailable in Oregon too.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Jayson Cohen

#65 Post by Jayson Cohen » June 5th, 2019, 5:53 am

David_K wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 6:31 am
So many producers and styles, you can afford the very best, and the next vintage is always around the corner. I keep stockpiling the stuff. I do drink it regularly, but still, not as fast as I can buy it. It's currently at about 20% of the cellar. Has anyone ever looked back and thought they bought too much German Riesling?
No. Sometimes I think I’ve bought too many Auslesen over the years. But then I open one or two, like I did on Sunday, and all is good.

It’s actually the opposite feeling, especially as my cellar ages and I am faced with a rapidly dwindling supply of ‘96-‘98 wines I’ve loved. The question now is: why didn’t I buy more _______ when it was readily available?

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 5th, 2019, 6:01 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 5:53 am
It’s actually the opposite feeling, especially as my cellar ages and I am faced with a rapidly dwindling supply of ‘96-‘98 wines I’ve loved. The question now is: why didn’t I buy more _______ when it was readily available?
The 1999 J. J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr I opened on Sunday elicited the "why didn't we buy more" response from my wife.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Sarah Kirschbaum

#67 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 5th, 2019, 6:12 am

T Fletcher wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 6:04 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:54 pm
T Fletcher wrote:

No, kabinett is not generally dry unless it's labeled as kabinett trocken. Kabinett seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter at a lot producers, in fact. You might want to see what your wife thinks of the dry wines, as a lot of people can't get past the sweetness, despite the balance. Look for anything with trocken on the label, or Großes Gewächs (GG) which are basically the dry grand crus, though those will not be bone dry and are often more expensive. There are dozens of great producers of dry wine. Our favorites are Keller, Schafer-Frohlich and Emrich-Schonleber (they all make sweeter wines as well) but there are so many more. Schloss Lieser, Martin Mullen, Battenfeld Spanier spring to mind, just to name a very, very few. Even producers known for their sweets will often make dry as well, though I don't think they always excel at it.
Great education..thanks Sarah! I've had and enjoy Shafer-Frohlich...actually have two bottles of the Vulkangestein trocken so we'll try one of those next!
If you have the kind of relationship where she wouldn't mind a trick being played, and if her palate isn't already attuned, you can even try pouring it into a regular shaped bottle while she's not watching. It's funny the tricks our minds can play with expectations. I did this with a good friend who claimed to hate all Riesling. The dry example I served from an imposter bottle elicited " Now this is more like it! Why don't you serve me more great wines like this one instead of all that crappy Riesling? "

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 5th, 2019, 8:49 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 6:12 am

If you have the kind of relationship where she wouldn't mind a trick being played, and if her palate isn't already attuned, you can even try pouring it into a regular shaped bottle while she's not watching. It's funny the tricks our minds can play with expectations. I did this with a good friend who claimed to hate all Riesling. The dry example I served from an imposter bottle elicited " Now this is more like it! Why don't you serve me more great wines like this one instead of all that crappy Riesling? "
That is pretty bonkers. Riesling is quite distinctive. Do you recall what kind of wine your friend thought it was?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Sarah Kirschbaum

#69 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 5th, 2019, 9:52 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 8:49 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

That is pretty bonkers. Riesling is quite distinctive. Do you recall what kind of wine your friend thought it was?
It's distinctive for us, but most people haven't any idea what one variety smells like for real versus another. They just ask the bartender for the wine they always ask for. My friend had no clue and wasn't interested in guessing - not a wine geek, never done blind tasting before, would be confused about why that's fun. He just had a thing about not liking "sweet wine" which is what he thinks Riesling is. It's common phenomenon, actually. I've read about a number of tastings where wine shop owners or somms or what have you poured Riesling into non-Riesling bottles and suddenly everyone who thought they didn't like Riesling liked it.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 5th, 2019, 10:37 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 9:52 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 8:49 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

It's distinctive for us, but most people haven't any idea what one variety smells like for real versus another. They just ask the bartender for the wine they always ask for. My friend had no clue and wasn't interested in guessing - not a wine geek, never done blind tasting before, would be confused about why that's fun. He just had a thing about not liking "sweet wine" which is what he thinks Riesling is. It's common phenomenon, actually. I've read about a number of tastings where wine shop owners or somms or what have you poured Riesling into non-Riesling bottles and suddenly everyone who thought they didn't like Riesling liked it.
Anecdote lifted from a Terry Theise catalog:

German wine is not what most people think it is, because Riesling is not what most people think it is. I once told a woman at a tasting, when she asked if I had any
Chardonnays, that a l l my wines were Chardonnays. “Then give me your best one,” she asked, and I think I poured her a Lingenfelder. “Oh this is wonderful!” she
enthused. “I think this is the best Chardonnay I’ve ever tasted.” That’s because it comes from the town of RIESLING, I said, showing her the word on Rainer’s label. If
you want really good Chardonnay, I continued, make sure it comes from Riesling. “Thank you,” she said. “You’ve really taught me something.” Little did she know.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Jay Miller » June 5th, 2019, 10:43 am

I once had a date with someone who, when the topic turned to wine, told me doesn't like riesling because it's too sweet. It didn't get to a second date.

That wasn't actually the reason though maybe I should claim it was. Better story that way.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

J. Rock

#72 Post by J. Rock » June 5th, 2019, 11:42 am

I haven't had nearly as much as most of you, but I've yet to have bad Riesling, whether sweet, super sweet, or dry. Sure, some don't wow me or could be more balanced, but I don't discriminate based on style of Riesling. They are all great and just depend on my mood or the situation.
J o r d a n

Claus Jeppesen

#73 Post by Claus Jeppesen » June 5th, 2019, 1:26 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:19 am
Or just hand the entire Rheingau to some of the producers there who are doing well: Leitz, Weil, Spreitzer, etc.
To forget Breuer is a cardinal sin
Claus

Riesling and Slate

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 5th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Claus Jeppesen wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:26 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
Or just hand the entire Rheingau to some of the producers there who are doing well: Leitz, Weil, Spreitzer, etc.
Given the prices, buying is penance.

Larry Stein

#75 Post by Larry Stein » June 5th, 2019, 9:06 pm

German Riesling makes up about 15% of my cellar (140 bottles). I just don't drink it as often as I used to. 88 bottles are from 2005 and prior, and only 7 are 2010 and younger. About the only ones that might sell at a decent price to a hard-core collector are from Daniel Vollenweider. All those are from 2001-5 (no 2003s). A bunch of Dr Loosen because I was able to buy them real cheap from the local importer in the early 2000s and more recently ("recently" = 2004s - 2009s) from a friend who is a regional sales manager for the Loosen Bros operation. Sure, not the best producer, but it's hard to pass up Kab and Spat at $5-10/btl.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Howard Cooper » June 6th, 2019, 5:05 am

Jay Miller wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 10:43 am
I once had a date with someone who, when the topic turned to wine, told me doesn't like riesling because it's too sweet. It didn't get to a second date.

That wasn't actually the reason though maybe I should claim it was. Better story that way.
Education. On my first date with my wife (now married for 37 years and counting) she told me of a few types of wines she liked that included Liebfraumilch. A few months later (after she had had a number of good German wines but before we were married or even engaged), we were at a party where someone served Blue Nun. She told me it wasn't that good. [dance-clap.gif]

Today, she likes mostly red wines, esp. 1982 Bordeaux. [wow.gif] It does not help that in 1983, when we were newly married, that I had to restrict purchases of 1982 Bordeaux futures because she thought I was nuts.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Claus Jeppesen

#77 Post by Claus Jeppesen » June 7th, 2019, 6:29 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:33 pm
Claus Jeppesen wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:26 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
Given the prices, buying is penance.
The prices reflect the quality
But maybe you have lost faith champagne.gif
In some vintages Schlossberg and Nonnenberg ecllpses even G Max and CSH
Claus

Riesling and Slate

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 7th, 2019, 7:15 am

I have plenty of faith. I also have a wife keeping an eye on the wine budget.

Will be tasting some Breuer wines (likely a small selection) later this month.

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#79 Post by Adam Frisch » August 4th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Bought a bottle of Julien Schaal Schoenonbourg Gypsum 2017 a few months ago at K&L and after trying it, immediately went down and bought a case. Very nice. I was hunting for a dry Riesling and although this one kind of is, it's in reality somewhere in between off dry and dry. In any case, I love Riesling but am kind of new to it and not smart enough to be able decipher the draconian classifications in the German ones. Alsace seems to be overall a bit dryer. With the German ones, it's a crap shoot. Even asked specifically for a bone dry one at fancy restaurant in Atlanta just the other week. Sommelier "Oh yes, this one is very dry". Wine comes and in and it's (at least to my pallet) rather sweet. Hmm.

Can someone recommend some great truly bone dry Rieslings for me in the $25-40 range? I just ordered some Paetra and I've heard good things about Tatomer here in CA, but would like to get some German or Alsatian recommends, too.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

DanielP

#80 Post by DanielP » August 4th, 2019, 5:04 pm

I like Keller von der Fels in that ~35ish price point.
P@ik

J. Rock

#81 Post by J. Rock » August 4th, 2019, 11:59 pm

Two I've had recently and liked:

2016 Markus Molitor Riesling Graacher Domprobst Spätlese White Capsule - great

2016 Gunderloch Riesling Rheinhessen Nierstein Trocken - very good, very interesting and pretty complex
J o r d a n

Return to “Wine Talk”