There is too much good German Riesling available

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David_K

There is too much good German Riesling available

#1 Post by David_K » June 4th, 2019, 6:31 am

So many producers and styles, you can afford the very best, and the next vintage is always around the corner. I keep stockpiling the stuff. I do drink it regularly, but still, not as fast as I can buy it. It's currently at about 20% of the cellar. Has anyone ever looked back and thought they bought too much German Riesling?
Last edited by David_K on June 4th, 2019, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
K@ntrОwi╦z

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: There is too much good German Riesling available

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 4th, 2019, 6:35 am

Umm...no.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 4th, 2019, 7:25 am

I am selling quite a bit of wine at auction, but the estimates for the Rieslings were absurdly low considering the quality of the wines. 1971 Auslese for $80 from decent producers, 1975/6 same for less than $50. The estimates were based on what has sold, and so were correct. Do I value these wines more than the estimate? Absolutely. So not selling, and putting together a series of tastings to enjoy the wines
German wines are the orphan child; as the tide on most wines rise, Riesling (and Port) are sinkers. I am not sure the drinker part of me considers this to be a problem.
Last edited by Mark Golodetz on June 4th, 2019, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by alan weinberg » June 4th, 2019, 7:26 am

yes, way too much since the wife hates it.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 4th, 2019, 7:27 am

No. If anything, I dont buy enough.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Robert Dentice

#6 Post by Robert Dentice » June 4th, 2019, 7:29 am

With a cellar of ~7,500 bottles of German wine the short answer is NO. One of the greatest things about German Riesling is opening it for others. Germany is one of the deepest wine regions in the world. I feel so lucky I love the wines more than any other region.

YLee

#7 Post by YLee » June 4th, 2019, 7:33 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:29 am
With a cellar of ~7,500 bottles of German wine the short answer is NO. One of the greatest things about German Riesling is opening it for others. Germany is one of the deepest wine regions in the world. I feel so lucky I love the wines more than any other region.
7500 JUST rieslings???? Jesus.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

A.Gillette

#8 Post by A.Gillette » June 4th, 2019, 7:33 am

I feel the same way. I'm currently buying at a clip of roughly 300 bottles a year. For me, the current opportunity to buy German Riesling, particularly from the Mosel, is the greatest inefficiency in my wine journey. These are wines where the price could be raised significantly and I wouldn't reduce my purchases at all. I've also found that I particularly enjoy being able to open something with 7-9% alcohol on a week night. As for secondary prices, I don't really care because I don't intend to sell any of it.
A
Alex

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by David Glasser » June 4th, 2019, 7:33 am

Wonderful stuff, widely available, and so far has avoided (with rare exceptions) the price increases top wines from the gotta have it regions have experienced.

Surprisingly, I have not bought too much.

Markus S

#10 Post by Markus S » June 4th, 2019, 7:42 am

Too many good wines available from everywhere, it's so hard to keep up! [wow.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

John S

#11 Post by John S » June 4th, 2019, 7:42 am

Know many people who ended up with more than they later figured they needed to cellar. This happens with may wines but German Rieslings are generally a tough sell so I've seen many who still have much more than they can drink.

Probably the greatest value out there and I limit purchases as it is so easy to amass way too much for me.
John Sprow

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by R. Frankel » June 4th, 2019, 7:42 am

I agree with the group. No problem at all that there is a deep wide pool of well priced highly available German Riesling. I’m relatively new to these wines and am just building a collection. Very much loving experimenting and tasting without breaking the bank.

My only concern is that there is actually not nearly enough available dry Rieslings with some age in the US market! I’d love to find more (any??) to backfill and to experiment with aging. I love the stuff young but aged examples have been really nice too.

There are more back vintage sweeter (I really enjoy Spätlese/Auslese) wines available. I do buy and drink those but so little dry wine. Maybe the prices are too low to convince people to bother selling?
Rich Frankel

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by R. Frankel » June 4th, 2019, 7:42 am

Markus S wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:42 am
Too many good wines available from everywhere, it's so hard to keep up! [wow.gif]
Hah true enough!
Rich Frankel

Corey N.

#14 Post by Corey N. » June 4th, 2019, 7:43 am

David_K wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 6:31 am
So many producers and styles, you can afford the very best, and the next vintage is always around the corner. I keep stockpiling the stuff. I do drink it regularly, but still, not as fast as I can buy it. It's currently at about 20% of the cellar. Has anyone ever looked back and thought they bought too much German Riesling?
I love German Riesling and though it accounts for roughly 20% of my cellar, I still don't think I have enough. One of the wonderful things about these wines, is that they can be enjoyed young, middle aged, or with significant age. I'm always on the lookout for Rieslings with age. To me, they represent one of the relative bargains in the world of fine wine.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 4th, 2019, 7:48 am

alan weinberg wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:26 am
Bad kind of metoo. This was fantastic over the weekend in Cupertino and my wife said "I know this is well-made and really great but I wouldn't buy it again"; hell, I'd bathe in it.
FCB45B22-F453-49F4-A9E2-A8C16DBAA5E8.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Bill Tex Landreth

#16 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » June 4th, 2019, 7:51 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:48 am
alan weinberg wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:26 am
Bad kind of metoo. This was fantastic over the weekend in Cupertino and my wife said "I know this is well-made and really great but I wouldn't buy it again"; hell, I'd bathe in it.

FCB45B22-F453-49F4-A9E2-A8C16DBAA5E8.jpeg
Boo.

Kristi loves the stuff...especially the basic Donnhoff bottling.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Jürgen Steinke

#17 Post by Jürgen Steinke » June 4th, 2019, 8:11 am

It´s a good thing that German Riesling can still be had for reasonable prices. But not all. Kellers wines are absurdly hyped. And I agree that there is no shortage of fine wine from almost everywhere. Most wine lovers focus on the most famous names. A fault. Maybe not for those who speculate. And there are many. But for the drinkers it is an advantage.

BTW: I drank lots of Crus Beaujolais from vintages 2015, 2016 and 2017 recently. Superb quality to good prices. But maybe it is a fault to mention that because the internet is not only a pool for information but also one for hype and speculation.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#18 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2019, 8:28 am

No, I've never thought we bought too much. We don't have as much as Robert (and we're blessed to be able to share Robert's from time to time!), but it's about 23% our cellar, tied with Burgundy for the largest holding, and it's the only region we still buy in quantity.

I don't worry about resale, and expect we'll drink all of it. I can't recall ever serving a dry Riesling to anyone and having them dislike it, with the possible exception of die hard sweet Riesling fans.

While it's true there's good wine being produced all over, my gut feeling is that no other region is producing as much consistently great wine concentrated in such a low range of prices.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Howard Cooper » June 4th, 2019, 9:03 am

I love German Riesling and it constitutes about 18% of my cellar. Red Burgundy is first at about 48%. German wines are second.

But, while I love the wines and drink them often, I feel like I have too many German wines and am cutting back on new purchases.

One thing that makes having too many German wines ok is that they last AND get better for a very long time so no real need to worry too much about most of them.

I agree that most regions of German wines remain the greatest values in wine as where else can one buy wines from great producers AND great terroir at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the one exception seems to continue to be the Rheingau. It has some of the greatest terroir in Germany - wouldn't it be great to hand over Steinberger to Keller, Schloss Vollrads to Donnhoff, Schloss Johannisberg to Prum, Rauenthaler Baiken to Schloss Lieser and Erbacher Marcobrun to Zilliken (or some such thing)?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 4th, 2019, 9:19 am

Or just hand the entire Rheingau to some of the producers there who are doing well: Leitz, Weil, Spreitzer, etc.

T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by T Fletcher » June 4th, 2019, 9:28 am

I've only discovered an appreciation for German Rieslings within the past 9 months. Over this time period, I'd say approx. 20% of my total wine purchases have been Rieslings. As others voiced, the only problem is my wife does not care much for them.

I'm working through different producers, regions and designations so I'm thankful for threads like this and David's posts on CT.
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 4th, 2019, 9:44 am

R. Frankel wrote:
My only concern is that there is actually not nearly enough available dry Rieslings with some age in the US market! I’d love to find more (any??) to backfill and to experiment with aging. I love the stuff young but aged examples have been really nice too.
There hasn't been a ton of new release dry German Riesling in the USA for very long. It was barely a trickle (IMO) until about 2008-2010. I would say that 2010 really marked a change in availability. So there's not much inventory to meet your wants/needs.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#23 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2019, 9:57 am

T Fletcher wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:28 am
I've only discovered an appreciation for German Rieslings within the past 9 months. Over this time period, I'd say approx. 20% of my total wine purchases have been Rieslings. As others voiced, the only problem is my wife does not care much for them.

I'm working through different producers, regions and designations so I'm thankful for threads like this and David's posts on CT.
Have you tried your wife with the dry Rieslings as well? I have found that the population at large has an easier time making the transition into Riesling with those rather than kabinett, spatlese and above.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by J a y H a c k » June 4th, 2019, 9:58 am

David_K wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 6:31 am
No, but it's much less than 20% of my cellar. It is very rare that I have a German Riesling that I dislike. Maybe they do not rise to the high level's of, let's say Saxum JBV or Myriad Elyssian [stirthepothal.gif] at their best, but it is more likely that I will say "Oh crap, I wanted a good Riesling and I have so few choices" than "What am I going to do with all of this stuff?"
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by J a y H a c k » June 4th, 2019, 9:59 am

PS - When did Egon Mueller get so damned expensive while I wasn't looking.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#26 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2019, 10:27 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:44 am
R. Frankel wrote:
There hasn't been a ton of new release dry German Riesling in the USA for very long. It was barely a trickle (IMO) until about 2008-2010. I would say that 2010 really marked a change in availability. So there's not much inventory to meet your wants/needs.
Too true! I got lucky in that my husband was working at Moore Brothers waaaay back when they were the only ones bringing in the dry Rieslings - and bringing them in with perfect provenance, thank goodness! - so his dowry came with a bunch of older bottles. But even for us, there isn't much with real age.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 4th, 2019, 10:36 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:59 am
A couple of years ago.

Robert Dentice

#28 Post by Robert Dentice » June 4th, 2019, 10:46 am

Don't overlook all of the other white wine grapes - Grauburgunder, Scheurebe, Silvaner and Weissburgunder.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Jay Miller » June 4th, 2019, 10:52 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:58 am

No, but it's much less than 20% of my cellar. It is very rare that I have a German Riesling that I dislike. Maybe they do not rise to the high level's of, let's say Saxum JBV or Myriad Elyssian [stirthepothal.gif] at their best,
I agree totally. Rieslings almost rise as far as the dark and lifeless expanse of deep space where life cannot exist.

neener
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#30 Post by Robert M yers » June 4th, 2019, 10:55 am

Obviously a great thing for us but I wonder about the producers. I’ve been saying for 5 years I’m going to start cellaring it more and I keep putting it off. I imagine it’s because it’s so available and relatively cheap with no real price pressure on quality wine. Certain producers sure, but there are what seem like endless quality ones.

I often find, I’m in more of a hurry for other regions where I tend to feel I’ll be priced out soon I guess. I never really thought about this and it makes no real sense, so it’s something I hope to change.

I’m far from an super experienced but I can’t honestly remember opening any kind of Riesling and just being overly disappointed. Again for me that has led to neglect, rather than building up my cellar like I should be. Also for me it is the most difficult wine type to differentiate the nuance from one to another in wines of quality. I keep thinking with age that will/may happen.

Robert Dentice

#31 Post by Robert Dentice » June 4th, 2019, 11:00 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 10:27 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
R. Frankel wrote:
Too true! I got lucky in that my husband was working at Moore Brothers waaaay back when they were the only ones bringing in the dry Rieslings - and bringing them in with perfect provenance, thank goodness! - so his dowry came with a bunch of older bottles. But even for us, there isn't much with real age.
The real question for me is what will be on average peak age for the GGs. I can't imagine the 04 Keller Hubacker you opened getting any better (as it was near perfect). I feel like peak age will be around 10 years. If this is the case I will soon have lots of aged dry wine and if not I will have some regrets. For now I will be happy drinking JB Becker and a few other producers who have saved older dry wines and random bottles I find like the 02 Rebholz Spatlese Trocken I found this morning in a lower back rack.

A.Gillette

#32 Post by A.Gillette » June 4th, 2019, 11:06 am

^ I don't find that there are endless quality producers and I try quite a few German rieslings that I find relatively uninspiring. What I do find is that the world class producers are priced at a level that makes them accessible to anyone. Egon might be an exception to this with the kabi now breaking $100, but other top saar producers are priced at a fraction of his prices.
A
Alex

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#33 Post by Robert M yers » June 4th, 2019, 11:12 am

Might also be that that I just keep drinking good ones (uninspiring) and cant differentiate enough between them. The title said “good” so I find that at a different level than inspiring I guess. I’ll never be a $100 Riesling buyer though that I can foresee, so if that’s what it takes to get me motivated to find the inspiring wines they’ve already lost me I’d guess.

Robert Dentice

#34 Post by Robert Dentice » June 4th, 2019, 11:15 am

A.Gillette wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:06 am
^ I don't find that there are endless quality producers and I try quite a few German rieslings that I find relatively uninspiring. What I do find is that the world class producers are priced at a level that makes them accessible to anyone. Egon might be an exception to this with the kabi now breaking $100, but other top saar producers are priced at a fraction of his prices.
A
I know you drink lots of Riesling so you are coming from an informed opinion. I do think that Germany has an enormous amount of great wine and more on a % basis that does not get imported to the U.S. than any other country. And new producers are popping up all of the time (usually it is a daughter or son taking over an older Domain).

A.Gillette

#35 Post by A.Gillette » June 4th, 2019, 11:23 am

Robert M yers wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:12 am
Might also be that that I just keep drinking good ones (uninspiring) and cant differentiate enough between them. The title said “good” so I find that at a different level than inspiring I guess. I’ll never be a $100 Riesling buyer though that I can foresee, so if that’s what it takes to get me motivated to find the inspiring wines they’ve already lost me I’d guess.
My whole point is that you don't have to spend anywhere near $100 to get the best of the region. Carve out Egon and a kabi from a top producer is somewhere around $25-35.

a
Alex

A.Gillette

#36 Post by A.Gillette » June 4th, 2019, 11:25 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:15 am
A.Gillette wrote:
A
I know you drink lots of Riesling so you are coming from an informed opinion. I do think that Germany has an enormous amount of great wine and more on a % basis that does not get imported to the U.S. than any other country. And new producers are popping up all of the time (usually it is a daughter or son taking over an older Domain).
That might be true. I don't have enough experience to say. At VDP last year, I was struck my the significant drop off in quality from the grosser ring tasting to the bernkasteler ring tasting. In my view, there was generally a significant difference between the quality level for top tier producers versus the next rung down, with a few outliers.
A
Alex

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Josh Grossman » June 4th, 2019, 11:45 am

A major reason I'm here and am on the path of an oenophile was the first old riesling someone shared with me. I do feel like it rewards aging at least as much as anything else? I keep stockpiling it too--but it's because I try not to drink younger vintages and I only really got serious about collecting in 2014. I do try to buy older vintages when I can--but for whatever reason, I don't see producers I know and buy pop-up that much at the few auctions I frequent (mostly Winebid). I also am not drinking as fast as I buy it but hope that evens out in ten years and starts going the other direction in 20 years. I do feel like German labeling is even more complicated than Burgundy and is intimidating to much of the wine buying US public. That said,
Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:25 am
I am selling quite a bit of wine at auction, but the estimates for the Rieslings were absurdly low considering the quality of the wines. 1971 Auslese for $80 from decent producers, 1975/6 same for less than $50. The estimates were based on what has sold, and so were correct. Do I value these wines more than the estimate? Absolutely. So not selling, and putting together a series of tastings to enjoy the wines
German wines are the orphan child; as the tide on most wines rise, Riesling (and Port) are sinkers. I am not sure the drinker part of me considers this to be a problem.
happy to trade you some of my 2015 trockens for some of these? [wink.gif]
Last edited by Josh Grossman on June 4th, 2019, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Dentice

#38 Post by Robert Dentice » June 4th, 2019, 11:49 am

A.Gillette wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:25 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
A.Gillette wrote:
A
That might be true. I don't have enough experience to say. At VDP last year, I was struck my the significant drop off in quality from the grosser ring tasting to the bernkasteler ring tasting. In my view, there was generally a significant difference between the quality level for top tier producers versus the next rung down, with a few outliers.
A
There are a lot of great producers outside of and some not so good in the VDP.

Ian S

#39 Post by Ian S » June 4th, 2019, 11:51 am

I don't understand how too much good Riesling is a problem. You can drink twice as much since it's half the alcohol content. Drink it for breakfast. It's fruit juice so it's good for you!
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 4th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:49 am
There are a lot of great producers outside of and some not so good in the VDP.
This.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » June 4th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
R. Frankel wrote:
NJ or DE?
Last edited by Tom G l a s g o w on June 4th, 2019, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Howard Cooper » June 4th, 2019, 1:08 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:59 am
Try Zilliken or Maximin Grunhaus. Much easier on the wallet.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Howard Cooper » June 4th, 2019, 1:20 pm

A.Gillette wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 11:25 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
A.Gillette wrote:
A
A
When I purchase Burgundy, I am looking for newer producers (esp. up and coming ones) to get wines at somewhat reasonable prices. When it comes to German wines, other than producers like Egon Muller and Keller, there isn't the price difference between my favorite producers and the up and coming good value producers. So, the producers I have the most German wines from are Prum, Zilliken, von Schubert, Selbach, Schloss Lieser and Reinhold Haart. These six producers make up about 75% of my German wines.
Howard

Sarah Kirschbaum

#44 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:02 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:

NJ or DE?
NJ, but it was at least 15 years ago, I'd say.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by lleichtman » June 4th, 2019, 1:34 pm

I have so much old Riesling that I am reluctant to buy anything more than basic ones right now. Hopefully, I can drink them all up before my drinking window closes. Jay, Egon Miller hasn't gone up anywhere near as fast as Napa Cabs or any other cult wines.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Howard Cooper » June 4th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
R. Frankel wrote:
Interesting way to pick a spouse. Do an inventory of their wine cellar first. champagne.gif [winner.gif]
Howard

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Jim Stewart » June 4th, 2019, 1:46 pm

lleichtman wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:34 pm
I have so much old Riesling that I am reluctant to buy anything more than basic ones right now. Hopefully, I can drink them all up before my drinking window closes. Jay, Egon Miller hasn't gone up anywhere near as fast as Napa Cabs or any other cult wines.
That's a good one . . . and a pointed turn of the phrase. Drink up! [cheers.gif]
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

T Fletcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by T Fletcher » June 4th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:57 am
T Fletcher wrote:

Have you tried your wife with the dry Rieslings as well? I have found that the population at large has an easier time making the transition into Riesling with those rather than kabinett, spatlese and above.
We've only done the Kabinett, Spatlese and even sweeter Auslese. I thought the Kabinett was considered "dry". Any recs?
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

Sarah Kirschbaum

#49 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2019, 2:54 pm

T Fletcher wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:41 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:57 am
T Fletcher wrote:

We've only done the Kabinett, Spatlese and even sweeter Auslese. I thought the Kabinett was considered "dry". Any recs?
No, kabinett is not generally dry unless it's labeled as kabinett trocken. Kabinett seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter at a lot producers, in fact. You might want to see what your wife thinks of the dry wines, as a lot of people can't get past the sweetness, despite the balance. Look for anything with trocken on the label, or Großes Gewächs (GG) which are basically the dry grand crus, though those will not be bone dry and are often more expensive. There are dozens of great producers of dry wine. Our favorites are Keller, Schafer-Frohlich and Emrich-Schonleber (they all make sweeter wines as well) but there are so many more. Schloss Lieser, Martin Mullen, Battenfeld Spanier spring to mind, just to name a very, very few. Even producers known for their sweets will often make dry as well, though I don't think they always excel at it.
Last edited by Sarah Kirschbaum on June 4th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#50 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » June 4th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:

Interesting way to pick a spouse. Do an inventory of their wine cellar first. champagne.gif [winner.gif]
If you'd ever had his cooking, you would know his cellar wasn't first on his list of attractions. ;-)

Return to “Wine Talk”